Nandroid questions

Discussion in 'Motorola Droid' started by mmead1143, Aug 25, 2011.

1. mmead1143

mmead1143 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Okay so I've googled some question's I've had, and being a noob, can't find the answer. Any help is appreicated!!

I understand the basics of rooting and Nandroid. In fact my D1 is rooted with CM7.

I use Titanium Backup which has worked fine but my thinking is that Nandroid would be a faster way to restore my system since it's on my device and I don't have to worry about 3G data transfer rates.

I understand that a Nandroid backup is a snapshot of your system, data, settings etc. Let's say I completely screwed up my phone and wanted to reset it. Does the Nandroid backup include my CM7 rom? So if I went to restore the phone and the rom itself was screwed up, would I boot into recovery and simply run the Nandroid backup? Or would I have to reload CM7, and THEN run the Nandroid backup to fully restore the system?

This may be basic but I'm just wondering if the Nandroid backup also includes a snapshot of the rom...

Does that make sense? lol thanks!!

2. guidot

guidot Developer Relations
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +274
    A nandroid is an exact image of your phone at that exact time. If you create a nandroid when you are running CM7, then when you reload it, it will be CM7, exactly from the time you made it.

3. mmead1143

mmead1143 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    PERFECT!! this rooting thing gets better and better lmao!!

Thanks a ton!!

4. mmead1143

mmead1143 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    So if I wanted to try the new nightly for CM7, I could run it and if it either didn't take, or I didn't like it, or somehow it just didn't work...I wouldn't have to reload CM7, run Titanium backup and go through all the settings again.

I could simply boot into recovery, run my last Nandroid backup (assuming I made it before screwing around with the above nightly) and it'd restore my phone, settings, rom etc to my last backup. This would obviously take a LOT less time and I wouldn't have to worry about any specific settings, cpu controls, etc. being different than before.

Thanks again...just looking for confirmation.

5. guidot

guidot Developer Relations
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +274
    You would actually use nandroid restore, to restore the backup, but yes that's how it works.

Also for a quick how to backup lesson, check the 2nd link in my signature.

Sent from my A855, while on the move.

Search tags for this page

nandroid basics