1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Nandroid Restore Failed

Discussion in 'Motorola Droid 2 Global' started by mr.inter, Nov 16, 2011.

1. mr.inter

mr.inter New Member

Yesterday I took a nandroid backup of my stock GB rom (4.5.608) as I was going to install CM7. I was disappointed of CM7 as it generated a lot of FCs. I SBF'd and installed stock GB again, and installed 4.5.608. I tried to restore the nandroid backup from CWM and it failed at the last step, showing that an error was encountered while formatting /system. What could the problem be? Could it be a corrupted backup?

Edit: I took another backup today and went to restore it immediately after and it still told me that it could not format /system. What's wrong with my phone?
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2011
  2. mr.inter

mr.inter New Member

I even tried formatting /system via ADB while in CWM but still unsuccessful :frown:
  3. czervick212

czervick212 New Member

This probably isnt the response you're looking for but I was in the same boat but I totally botched the flash (didn't wipe system) but yeah so I got all stuck up and the recovery wasn't working out so I ended up having to sbf and restore everything with titanium. After going back through EVERYTHING and updating all the way back to gb, I rebootstrapped and still couldnt flash the recovery, so hopefully you aren't in the same boat as me, but I hope you're prepared for the worst my friend. :/
  4. Gasai Yuno

Gasai Yuno New Member

You cannot “flash the recovery” on the D2G due to the locked bootloader, are you sure you didn't mean something else?
  5. mr.inter

mr.inter New Member

What do you mean by prepare for the worst? For the fact that I can't restore a nandroid backup? I can successfully enter in stock recovery or CWM recovery but can't restore any backup due to the formatting system error.
  6. 13th angel

13th angel Developer Developer

Dont use the D2G recovery in Rom Manager, use the DX (2nd-init) one instead. There's something wrong with the d2g one (and koush knows but hasnt fixed it....) and it tries to format a non-existing partition.
  7. mr.inter

mr.inter New Member

You mean the Droid X Recovery that exists on the market? And then I use Clockworkmod normally after bootstrapping?
  8. mr.inter

mr.inter New Member

Or the recovery image which you select and download from ROM manager? I thought that you were talking about the bootstrapper.
  9. mr.inter

mr.inter New Member

Ok I tried taking a backup with Droid X (2nd-init) recovery and it successfully restored. I would like to ask the last thing, is a backup taken with D2G recovery fully equivalent with one taken with DX recovery? I had failed to restore a stock backup taken with D2G recovery even on Boot Manager installed on CM7.
  10. 13th angel

13th angel Developer Developer

Yes it is. Did it say why it failed?

Sent from my D2G
  11. mr.inter

mr.inter New Member

I don't remember exactly what it was but I believe something related to the system partition. When trying to restore backups in CWM it kept saying that an error was encountered while formatting /system, but it worked when I restored with DX recovery image.
Search tags for this page
android failed during nandroid restore
cant nandroid restore between phones
cwm recovery error while formatting system
droid charge cannot format system

error while formatting /system

failed to restore android
failed to restore system via cwm
nandroid backup failed
nandroid cant recover bootstrap
nandroid restore error while formatting data

nandroid restore fail