need help unrooting

Reaction score
Johnly should read lol. I don't think your sig will fix his issue because he has some specific problems blocking him right now. Also I posted the beer comment in one other thread...which if you read that one it is a double post essentially of the same problem written by the same person here. At best he owes me two beers lol.

J

Johnly

Johnly should read lol. I don't think your sig will fix his issue because he has some specific problems blocking him right now. Also I posted the beer comment in one other thread...which if you read that one it is a double post essentially of the same problem written by the same person here. At best he owes me two beers lol.
It is all good man, I am just giving a little bit of a hard time. I figured he was having an issue (20+ posts says so, hehe) With all the beer owed to you, I figured you would be passed out by now;)

OP
B

bryanjames70

Reaction score
ok

since i am running 2.1 you cannot just flash a rooted rom i am stock 2.1 and i believe to root you have to go back to 2.0 using sbf. that is what i read anyway ( if it is untrue and somone has a rooted update.zip i will try to get root back.

essentially the problem is i do not have root but still have the superuser app
i am running a unrooted 2.1 update.zip

i tried to use ADB to boot into bootloader but no dice.
i can get into recovery with a battery pull but i only have 4 options it is recovery 2E
reboot phone
apply update.zip
factory reset
wipe cache

and the app that boots into bootloader or recovery requires root

i think somehow bootloader got screwed up so i could push a copy of that with ADB if i could find it

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
since i am running 2.1 you cannot just flash a rooted rom i am stock 2.1 and i believe to root you have to go back to 2.0 using sbf. that is what i read anyway ( if it is untrue and somone has a rooted update.zip i will try to get root back.

essentially the problem is i do not have root but still have the superuser app
i am running a unrooted 2.1 update.zip

i tried to use ADB to boot into bootloader but no dice.
i can get into recovery with a battery pull but i only have 4 options it is recovery 2E
reboot phone
apply update.zip
factory reset
wipe cache

and the app that boots into bootloader or recovery requires root

i think somehow bootloader got screwed up so i could push a copy of that with ADB if i could find it

do this:

- download THIS file
- rename it to just update.zip
- put it on the root of your sd card
- reboot into recovery 2E
- choose factory reset
- choose apply update.zip
* if at any point you see "allow update.zip installation", choose that before you choose "apply update.zip"... if not, and all you see is the four options you mentioned above, then don't worry about this and just choose "apply update.zip"

If that all works and goes through correctly, when you reboot you should have to reactivate, and you should have root access at that point.

If it doesn't work, I'm curious about something and if you could go into your Settings>About Phone> and tell me what it says under "Model Number", "Android Version", and "Build Number", that could be helpful.

OP
B

bryanjames70

Reaction score
signature authentication failed
is the error i get when i follow your steps

model # DROID
build # ESE81
Firmware version # 2.1 update 1
kernel version 2.6.29-omap1-g7fa8788 android-build@apa26 #1
baseband version # c_01.3E.03p

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
it sounds like you might not have sprecovery installed, or maybe an old version - can you describe what your recovery program looks like? not just the listed options, but the actual aesthetics? if you have the stock recovery on there, there is an update.zip that can be used to essentially "push" root access to your 2.1 stock, but i'll have to dig to find it

Reaction score
How are you getting your phone out of standby if your power button isn't working? I just got myself really confused when I thought of that....
also it sounds like you have the stock recovery and not sprecovery. Your ONLY issue at this point it seems is the power button (obviously) and that you have the SU app on your phone. If you don't have a custom recovery and only have the stock one you will ONLY be able to run update.zip files that are official. Since you are on ESE81 none of the update.zip files that provide root will work. I'm still confused to getting out of standby if the power button doesn't work though.....are you sure it doesn't work?

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
How are you getting your phone out of standby if your power button isn't working? I just got myself really confused when I thought of that....

if you slide it open, the screen comes on - that's my guess as to how he's doing it!

Reaction score
lol....duh I'm stupid. Can he power the phone off with adb then just turn in the phone saying it won't power on? If the power button doesn't work he wouldn't be able to get it to power on then.

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
not a bad idea, but it sounds like he doesn't actually have root access, the .apk is just still there, so doing it through terminal emulator or even through adb shell won't work

plus, the phone can be powered on other ways... like plugging it in once it's off

OP
B

bryanjames70

Reaction score
right or just putting the battery in turns the phone on so if i need to reboot use adb or just a battery pull

Reaction score
Well I just did this on my phone to get to the bootloader WITHOUT holding the power button down.

1. With the phone completely turned off (shutdown). Open the sliding keyboard and hold up on the d-pad.
2. Plug your phone into the power cable, while holding up on the d-pad
3. The phone is in the bootloader and ready to flash an sbf.

Should work for the OP.

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Well I just did this on my phone to get to the bootloader WITHOUT holding the power button down.

1. With the phone completely turned off (shutdown). Open the sliding keyboard and hold up on the d-pad.

Should work for the OP.

lol, where has that answer been the last day! :)

bryanjames70, if that works for you, that will solve all of your problems...

Reaction score

Should work for the OP.

lol, where has that answer been the last day! :)

bryanjames70, if that works for you, that will solve all of your problems...

Well my dumbass didn't know there was different ways to power on the phone other than the power button. Its not that I'm a big nub....I've just never even considered doing it another way.

OP
B

bryanjames70

Reaction score
the phone is always on as long as the batter is in it so i need to pull the battery then replace it holding up on D-pad but it never goes to bootloader i think bootloader is damaged. it will not go with or without the power cord plugged in