FRG01B from ROM Manager questions

antron007

Reaction score
If I flash the stock FRG01B unrooted from ROM Manager will...
ROM Manager still work?
I be prompted to update to FRG22D?

If I flash it rooted will I be prompted for an update?

Thanx in advance.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

tcrews

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
android.snkbitten.com
ROM Manager still work?

Thanx in advance.

ROM Manager only works on rooted phones.

There is a rooted FRG22D floating around....just look for it and skip all the other steps. Look in the hacking section.

If you are trying to unroot, the flashing an unrooted ROM will unroot you.

Flashing a rooted rom will still allow the "prompt" to update to the FRG22D (if you flash FRG01B) but the recovery typically included will prevent the update from being installed. But you will constantly get the notice to install the update.

OP
A

antron007

Reaction score
Thanks. I'm running simply stunning 4.8 and just found out that it is 22D. I was looking at the screen caps of a few of the new roms and noticed it had a different base hand as was gonna flash to update to see if the latest ota had a newer one than the one I current have.

I really like red themes so ss4.8 seems to be the most up to date with a good red theme (York's red)

Does anyone know if the base hand was updated with the last ota? I have a 1.3????? And I've seen a 1.4????? Floating around.

tcrews

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
android.snkbitten.com
Most (if not all) ROMS do not come with a baseband, typically that is only in the official OTA updates pushed by Verizon.

Rom Manager has the baseband updates...just flash those......

OP
A

antron007

Reaction score
Thanks again crew but I updated my post. I think you still answered my question though.

Also there are 2 of them in rom manager. Can I update the first and then the other or do I have to reactivate my phone after I apply the first then apply the second ?

Much appreciated.

ndoren

Reaction score
ROM Manager still work?

Be careful! If you flash stock FRG01B, it will remove your custom recovery. That is, your SPRecovery or Clockworkmod recovery will be replaced with stock. If you replace with an unrooted FRG01B and it removes your recovery, you will suddenly have a TOTALLY stock phone. This is due to the sneaky /system/recovery-from-boot.p file in FRG01B. You need to remove it (as root) or you'll lose your custom recovery upon reboot.

See: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...-feature-undo-custom-recovery-partitions.html for info on this topic.

You will be constantly nagged to update to FRG22D. You can follow through with the update and your custom recovery will block it. But then you'll get nagged again and again to update. This can be fixed by making a change to the /system/build.prop file (as root) to trick Verizon into thinking you have FRG22D when you don't.

See http://www.droidforums.net/forum/bugless/76532-frg22d-stop-ota-notification-bb-froyo-v0-4-a-9.html for specific instructions. These instructions work with stock FRG01B as well as bugless beast, as referred to in the link I posted. Neall

OP
A

antron007

Reaction score
Thanx ndoren. I saw that hack in my research. I'm definitely not trying to unroot or anything. But it was an educational article.

ndoren

Reaction score
Thanx ndoren. I saw that hack in my research. I'm definitely not trying to unroot or anything. But it was an educational article.

Right... no one would want to unroot :) (well unless returning a phone for replacement). My point was if you mess with installing a stock FRG01B ROM, you could accidentally unroot or even worse, remove your custom recovery without realizing it, and that would be very sad indeed :) Neall

OP
A

antron007

Reaction score
Yeah. Thanx for the warning. That's what I was affraid of so I held off until I got more info.

Hey tcrews, I see you're the snkbitten rom Guy. Any word on themes?

OP
A

antron007

Reaction score
I'm not a theme maker so I doubt I'd be doing one. As to others I have no clue. My ROM is a little new here....though I've been running it for a while as well as a few friends.

I'm sorry I'm vain. I read the stats on it and like what I see alot , so if someone makes a red theme for it I'll definitely try it.

The only thing I wish the ss4.8 York red theme had was a red power control widget. Mine is still white. But I love trying any rom with a red theme.

Like I said, I'm vain that way and want my phone to look kewl. But your stats are awesome.