Name of App that helps you close apps you're not using to save Battery (Manager)

sxm

Reaction score
Android Class at the Verizon store

That was your first mistake. Don't make your second by going back for their Nexus Class in January.

Just visit this forum and you will learn something new everyday / every hour / every minute.

If you are paranoid, there is an option in settings > developer options > Don't Keep Activities

Or settings > developer options > Background process limit

There, you learned something new.

Capone76

Reaction score
X25064 I just bought the extended battery. Is a battery app like 2x needed or should I just condition without it?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Help! I can't find my notes from the droid class I took over a month ago when I had my Droid Charge

Anyone know the name of the Battery Manager or App Manager app that allows you to SEE what's open so you can select and close apps you don't need open so you save on battery life.

50% drain on battery overnight -- from 100% to half!!

Thanks

As has already been stated, apps that are loaded in ram are listed as "running", but they aren't really. They are simply waiting there for you to use and if you do, they will run instantly rather than having to load into ram.

Some Gnex phones are experiencing trouble with their sleep time. You can check to see if yours is one by going to the Settings/Battery screen after the phone has been asleep for a long time and not used a lot (like after an all night sleep) and then press the Android OS part of the chart. This will take you to a screen that will have a listing for "Keep Awake" time. If the phone is shows a Keep Awake time that is a high percentage of the total time off charger, they your phone is not actually going to sleep as it should. This seems to be caused by (on the phones that so afflicted) by manually putting the phone to sleep with the power button as opposed to letting the screen timeout setting automatically put the phone to sleep.

You can test your phone by noting the time off charger and the "Keep Awake" time and then press the power button and put the phone to sleep for some length of time. At the end your test time, say an hour, check and see how much the "Keep Awake" time has increased. Then do the test again, but this time let the screen go to sleep by reaching the end to the Settings/Display/Sleep time.

On previous phones, Droid 1 and Bionic, I always set my screen to timeout at one hour because I routinely turned off the screen when I was through with the phone. Now on the GNex I have the screen timeout set to 30 seconds.

Good luck.

Oh and do not use a task killer as the OS is going to put either the freshly killed app or some other app right back into memory. And again, those apps in memory are not actually running. Install an app such as Watchdog, click on the cpu option and it will show you everything that is using cpu cycles. You will be able to see that the apps that loaded in ram are using cpu cycles (and if they are, then you can either stop them or uninstall them and find apps that run properly).

The above is just my opinion and YMMV!!

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
The apps just keep coming back after you kill them - that's what Android does, keeps the "on-deck" circle full. The only battery concerns are many apps have associated services to update them, so you need to go into your settings on the individual apps and decide if you want it to auto-fetch updates and/or send you notifications. Take a look at what is using your battery in the settings and then figure out why those apps are burning juice. Phandroid, of all apps, is notoriously bad because it has a service that runs constantly...just poorly designed apparently.

thaDroidz

Silver Member
Reaction score

I'm a woman (genieangel)

I am so sorry the name/gender flew right by me.. (to my defense it hard to assume a gender based on names anymore) :)

I would actually like to go to one of the Verizon classes, but have a feeling I would be pulling stats from either here or xda as I am correcting the teacher/tech. on miss guidings

posted tomorrow using the space time continuum app on my D1...

x25064

Reaction score
You can try it out yourselves, play a song in Pandora, then swipe it using the multitasking button. And Pandora will still keep playing.

Do you think certain apps ignore the command because of how they are designed, like Pandora for example?

ryguy5254

Reaction score
Don't you think that defeats the purpose of a 'built-in task closer'?

honors21

Reaction score
I had it I think it's called android booster.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

pyro6128

Reaction score
Listen to everyone in this thread. Its not needed. A good rule of thumb, if you've never even heard of an android phone, you know more about android than 99% of verizon employees. Don't listen to them

powerwagon

Reaction score
How about instead of telling the nice lady 100 times over and over that she doesn't need the class, give her some good advice in things to do that WILL help her gain more battery life. Such as, check what you have syncing...you may not need google books, or calendar, or picasa, or gmail for that matter. Maybe she has another email set up that is polling every 5 mins when she doesn't really need it to check that often. Maybe her screen brightness is set higher than she needs and she's not aware that she can adjust that down a bit to save some life. Just a few ideas that are actually helpful vs putting down Verizon to promote your android knowledge would be nice.

kptphalkon

Reaction score
Well....I have that on my phone....CM7, long press back to force kill app.

But rooting and romming, not to mention configuring the multitude of possible system settings, shouldn't be a priority if you trust verizon to tell you how to use a developer phone.

But the volume of evils which verizon wireless practices could envelop an entire sub-forum, so don't get me started!

x25064

Reaction score
How about instead of telling the nice lady 100 times over and over that she doesn't need the class, give her some good advice in things to do that WILL help her gain more battery life. Such as, check what you have syncing...you may not need google books, or calendar, or picasa, or gmail for that matter. Maybe she has another email set up that is polling every 5 mins when she doesn't really need it to check that often. Maybe her screen brightness is set higher than she needs and she's not aware that she can adjust that down a bit to save some life. Just a few ideas that are actually helpful vs putting down Verizon to promote your android knowledge would be nice.

Several of us already did. I think she's well informed :)