Name of App that helps you close apps you're not using to save Battery (Manager)

GenieAngel

Reaction score
Help! I can't find my notes from the droid class I took over a month ago when I had my Droid Charge

Anyone know the name of the Battery Manager or App Manager app that allows you to SEE what's open so you can select and close apps you don't need open so you save on battery life.

50% drain on battery overnight -- from 100% to half!!

Thanks

honors21

Reaction score
You really don't need an app if you go to settings apps running it does the same thing .

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

Last edited:
OP
G

GenieAngel

Reaction score
Just went into that. It's not too user friendly. There were so many things in there... ones I don't even recognize and when I try to close them they warn me that "my phone won't function right" if I close it.

I want the one I had on my Charge, it was real simple and really only displayed the apps I activated myself and was able to close... without scrolling thru things that need to run for other purposes

Dadroid08

Reaction score
Its on my wifez charge and its from Samsung sense overlay. Since the nexus is since free that means it wolnt be there

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

x25064

Reaction score
Apps don't drain your battery unless your using them. Android puts them in a frozen state, thus task killers are pointless and counter-productive. They actually cause more battery drain, by making your phone reopen all the apps you have shut down. Your Nexus has the same feature built in essentially when you hit your programs key on the right. Swipe them off your screen to end their processes.

As for your battery drain, how new is your phone, and do you live in a "fringe" area, where you are between 3g and 4g signal? If its relatively new, or you just installed an extended battery, you need to drain it fullly, then charge the phone while its off. (White battery icon on your screen) Repeat this 4-5 times and you may start to notice battery life improvement. Android calibrates itself to your battery each time you do this. Its like tuning a car.

Also if your problems persist, shut off your 4g, GPS, use auto brightness, and use wifi whenever available.

Hope this helps. The next update we receive from google should solve this problem.

Last edited:

wicked

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3 XL
Twitter
@MikeAlvez
Apps don't drain your battery unless your using them. Android puts them in a frozen state, thus task killers are pointless and counter-productive. They actually cause more battery drain, by making your phone reopen all the apps you have shut down. Your Nexus has the same feature built in essentially when you hit your programs key on the right. Swipe them off your screen to end their processes.

As for your battery drain, how new is your phone, and do you live in a "fringe" area, where you are between 3g and 4g signal? If its relatively new, or you just installed an extended battery, you need to drain it fullly, then charge the phone while its off. (White battery icon on your screen) Repeat this 4-5 times and you may start to notice battery life improvement. Android calibrates itself to your battery each time you do this. Its like tuning a car.

Also if your problems persist, shut off your 4g, GPS, use auto brightness, and use wifi whenever available.

Hope this helps.

Listen to him^

Also on ICS, you can just close the windows you have opened by pressing the multi-tasking button and swipe the windows left to right to close them.

thaDroidz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Did he say "Droid class" ?
Spend a few hours on Droidforums and your data banks are overflowed with info.. I just couldn't handle an actual class where I sit and take notes... lol ;)

posted tomorrow using the space time continuum app on my D1...

OP
G

GenieAngel

Reaction score
Apps don't drain your battery unless your using them.

Interesting, because when I went to the Android Class at the Verizon store they told us to use some task killer app -- that it was so important. (That was a generic android class when I had my Charge before I returned it to wait for the ICS. Seeing how the battery drain is so awful on this phone I was so HOPING that this was indeed the problem (that I had too many things open)... so if you're right, that's bad news since there is a huge battery drain when I'm not even using the phone. I have a Nexus specific class early January so I'll talk to them about it then.

Your Nexus has the same feature built in essentially when you hit your programs key on the right. Swipe them off your screen to end their processes.

That's perfect! Thank you! If items are on there (wow, there were tons), and I remove them will battery life be better?

OP
G

GenieAngel

Reaction score
Did he say "Droid class" ?

I'm a woman (genieangel), anyway, I hemmed and hawed whether or not to go, and I went and there were a number of things that I found extremely helpful. There's always something you can pick up.

I'm signed up for a Nexus specific class on January 3rd and can't wait. I think it's the only phone specific class Verizon holds. I know NOTHING about these phones, so it was perfect timing to tinker and then have my questions answered.

ddfuji

Reaction score
Oh no, Verizon doesn't know anything! I hate it when they push "Advanced Task Killer"! Seriously, you're better off learning from forums like this one rather than from Verizon.

Give this a read Fresh Rom – CDMA Android Development » FAQ: Why You Shouldn’t Be Using a Task Killer with Android

Many St women are more comfortable with the class and not to fond of forums. But that's just the women I've encountered :p

Sent from Rooted Droid RAZR using DroidForums

ryguy5254

Reaction score
Swiping the 'apps' to the right while in the multitasking window doesn't always close the app.

x25064

Reaction score
Interesting, because when I went to the Android Class at the Verizon store they told us to use some task killer app -- that it was so important. (That was a generic android class when I had my Charge before I returned it to wait for the ICS. Seeing how the battery drain is so awful on this phone I was so HOPING that this was indeed the problem (that I had too many things open)... so if you're right, that's bad news since there is a huge battery drain when I'm not even using the phone. I have a Nexus specific class early January so I'll talk to them about it then.

That's perfect! Thank you! If items are on there (wow, there were tons), and I remove them will battery life be better?

Heh, the only thing Verizon knows how to do is load phones with bloat ware, botch launches of new phones, and rip you off.

Google has released videos which explain at length about why task killers are unnecessary. Forgive me for assuming here but you don't sound, from your posts, to be tech savvy, so spare yourself the technobabble in the video and take my word for it ;)

There is an option within the phone to completely shut down apps when you navigate away from them, but this defeats the purpose of android.. flawless multitasking, and the ability to recall an app from exactly where you left off. Plus as I elaborated earlier, it is unnecessary to do so, seeing as no power is drained. At the MOST, holding apps in suspension takes up memory. You would be hard pressed to load your nexus up to the point where performance takes a hit due to apps hogging memory.

Also, while classes may be helpful for you to understand the basics of android, I would not go to them with things you read in these forums. Most of us users talk circles around verizon sales persons and tech support. In short: they're not the most knowledgeable bunch. (This obviously excludes the members here who work at big red, before you start to rage-type)

Last edited:

wicked

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3 XL
Twitter
@MikeAlvez
Swiping the 'apps' to the right while in the multitasking window doesn't always close the app.

What do you mean it doesn't always close the app? You're saying it only closes it sometimes? :blink: