myLock in Market! Skip the Lock Screen!

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Indeed no, I do not think it is right to develop in an open source platform, then expect people to buy your utility that could have been made by anyone with the same end use need.

I have no problem paying someone 99 cents to do that particular bit of work for me. I don't want to take the time to either learn the code or then write the app. I appreciate the free apps, but I have no problem with anyone wanting to get paid for what they have to offer. I can decide whether I want to pay for it or not.

OP
Martin030908

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
When Screen Mode addresses pocket unlocking (volume rocker and camera button are overkill to wake the phone IMO), then I'll consider it a 'replacement' for myLock.
Plus the widget for Screen Mode is ugly.

since i have case i never noticed the pocket unlocking thing. i happen to like being able to press any physical button to wake up the phone though. you're right about the widget being ugly though, lol. i've got it on one of my less used screens down in the corner so i don't really see it that much anyway.

will keep an eye on mylock, but if the dev charges a fee this app will never be on my droid. free screen unlock apps ftw! :icon_ banana:
Didn't think about the case. Probably does help with any pocket unlocks.

DroidPDX

Reaction score
I may be wrong, but something about the way the positive comments are so emphatic about Mylock in this thread seems fishy to me. The app appears to have too many flaws to warrant such praise and defenders, including multiple statements of voluntary donations . Just my take.

Staying w/ what I have.

Last edited:

MJ5150

Reaction score
I may be wrong, but something about the way the positive comments are so emphatic about Mylock in this thread seems fishy to me. The app appears to have too many flaws to warrant such praise and defenders, including multiple statements of voluntary donations . Just my take.

Staying w/ what I have.

Nothing fishy from me as one who made a voluntary donation. I have no association with the developer and no back door motives to say what I did.

I work in application development for an EMR, so I have a fairly good idea how much effort goes into bringing an application to market. Giving someone .99 cents (unless they ask for that much), is a joke, so I chipped in a few extra bucks.

Honestly, this app works great for me aside from the odd behavior someone else noted after receiving a phone call. Considering I receive maybe one phone call per day, it is seriously not an issue for me.

One thing I have learned thus far with this Droid is apps react differently for all of us based on what else is on our phones. I have apps that give me trouble all the time that others report works flawlessly for them. Rather than assuming the app is garbage, I realize the issues are related to my phone more than the app itself.

-Mike

Last edited:

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score

Staying w/ what I have.

This thread is SEVEN pages long and you think it's all faked just to boost this program. Have you even bothered to look at how many posts a lot of these people have in total? Thanks for the insult. (I deleted the expletive I originally had put behind "insult")

OP
Martin030908

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Since when is it 'bloat' to promote something you support?
I suppose the 200+ posts here are 'bloat' too http://www.droidforums.net/forum/an...al-mylock-thread-we-dont-like-lockscreen.html

myLock isn't perfect by any means, but it's being developed, by a responsive developer, who has been accessible, and very clear as to what his intentions are. IMO, that's someone I want to support.

Also, I hate the 'slide to unlock'. So this app is huge for me.

As MJ5150 said, everyone's phone has different apps and settings, so not every installation is going to react that same across all devices.

No one is forcing anyone to use myLock, if you don't like it, or don't have a good experience don't use it. If you can constructively criticize it, then please do.... but there's no need to call our comments 'bloat'.

petjakob

Reaction score
DroidPDX- the flaws are actually with the pre-android2.0 lockscreen code & methods, not the design of the app.
In the next update all failure & malfunction has been eliminated by utilizing new improvements added in android 2.0. However, until the other apps out there that rely on passing through the lockscreen update to these improvements people might still experience problems with those apps conflicting with each other. This will probably become the case as more first gen android hardware receives official 2.0 updates.

But, these new features of 2.0 aren't well documented so this has been the main purpose of the myLock project. All of our supporters like the improved functionality that's possible and want to ensure it is made as accessible as possible to the platform as a whole.

I've also submitted feedback to the android team about a few additional improvements that could be made to enhance the new lockscreen interaction methods. The first suggestion I made was to allow lockscreen-overriding windows to handle button events consistently, passing any key they did not handle on to the regular lockscreen for screen wakeup reaction. Currently, your window either gets no control over buttons (still behaves like your window doesn't exist) or if you use the mode that dismisses the lockscreen, every button causes wakeup from sleep.

The next one I am going to submit is to add a notification any app could receive when the lockscreen appears. Currently we have to rely on notifications for screen on/off & user completing lockscreen. This leads to more complicated logic when we have to detect the 5 second grace period when a sleep timeout is occurring, or determine whether the lockscreen returned at the end of a call.

Last edited:

DroidPDX

Reaction score

Staying w/ what I have.

This thread is SEVEN pages long and you think it's all faked just to boost this program. Have you even bothered to look at how many posts a lot of these people have in total? Thanks for the insult. (I deleted the expletive I originally had put behind "insult")

Relax. I simply stated a possibility. It's not like shill comments haven't been done before. I said it seemed fishy, but I may be wrong. And based on what was written here, I most likely was. And I appreciate the work that goes into developing an app--more so now that I've read this.

I have Screen Mode Widget and it works fine fo rme. None of the issues MyLock has from reading here. I was simply reading this thread to see what was better about MyLock than SMW. To each their own. I like being able to wake the Droid up with the camera button. That button to me is the logical one to push, and is much easier than the power button (which I can also use with SMW).

But logic and features vary by user.

OP
Martin030908

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score

Staying w/ what I have.

Relax. I simply stated a possibility. It's not like shill comments haven't been done before. I said it seemed fishy, but I may be wrong. And based on what was written here, I most likely was. And I appreciate the work that goes into developing an app--more so now that I've read this.

I have Screen Mode Widget and it works fine fo rme. None of the issues MyLock has from reading here. I was simply reading this thread to see what was better about MyLock than SMW. To each their own. I like being able to wake the Droid up with the camera button. That button to me is the logical one to push, and is much easier than the power button (which I can also use with SMW).

But logic and features vary by user.
Thank you for being civil.

Mars

Reaction score
i just made a .99 donation not much but a token of my appreciation of the work..hope to see it improve in time.

funken

Reaction score
I just installed Mylock after the latest ScreenModeWidget update screwed it up. I have to say I prefer a working SMW to Mylock. The widget with the toggle was so easy to use. Why can't someone fix SMW and maybe add the option to disable the camera button as an on switch?

petjakob

Reaction score
Hi funken. Every feature you seek is planned for release with the next update of myLock complete version. check out the planned features & options we are almost finished implementing - myLock for android: Yet more about next update

I am not sure if I'll have widget controls fully functional immediately however I have the basic widget 1x1 button programmed so I just need to integrate configurability.

jbsangel

Reaction score
I am following this thread and will try myLock. I hate butt dialing, so even though I prefer not to to have to slide to unclock, i tolerate it. The market description says to avoid using this with apps that have pop-ups. I'm currently using Handcent, but it has an option to disable the pop-up. Can anyone give me a headstart on if the pop-up in handcent causes a problem, so i don't have to test that?