myLock in Market! Skip the Lock Screen!

MJ5150

Reaction score
myLock is still plugging away on my phone and working just fine. I have rooted my phone and swapped out ROM's three or four times along the way. Some of the best $6 I spent in recent months. I don't think I'll even upgrade mine since it works fine for me just the way it is today.

Thank you petjakob.

-Mike

DroidPDX

Reaction score
Hi funken. Every feature you seek is planned for release with the next update of myLock complete version. check out the planned features & options we are almost finished implementing - myLock for android: Yet more about next update

I am not sure if I'll have widget controls fully functional immediately however I have the basic widget 1x1 button programmed so I just need to integrate configurability.

Sounds good. If MyLock doesn't have the bugs SMW does, I'll be onto it. Is there a trial version? And when will the new updates be live?

jbsangel

Reaction score
So i tried myLock and it works mostly fine for me. The speed on the market version is somewhat of an issue, mostly because sometimes it shows the lock screen just long enough that I start to slide to unlock just because I'm so used to doing it. I did experience 2 random reboots since I installed it yesterday, so that concerns me. I've disabled it for now to see if it is what is causing me the reboots (and because it is just faster for me to slide then to wait some times) but I plan on making a donation and keeping it installed because I'm looking forward to the updates. I may try the version on the website when I get a chance.

Thanks for the work, looking forward to updates.

petjakob

Reaction score
For now the newest update is now available as a separate app in the market. the two versions are completely incompatible so uninstall the original beta in order to properly install the latest. to clarify, i havent finished all the illustrious updates from the blog, but simply decided to put the build i've been using and tweaking for the last weeks up to help me discover any additional bugs so that the important update can be more solid

This one should have all the last unexpected phone call behavior eliminated, and its just my preferred setup of advanced power save custom mode. From here I'll be building all the customization we've been envisioning from the start of this project all the way down to adding widgets and setting a security idle timeout. again please see the blog for the full details of the features under construction.

Last edited:

hinky

Reaction score
Works fine here so far.

1. Have an option to remove the icon from the status bar. Takes up space needlessly if you don't want to look at it all day.

2. Add in some explanation in the prefs as to what it's doing since it even appears as though you don't know if MyLock is doing what it is doing if all the boxes are not checked.

3. I'm not sure the first two options are fully well explained.

petjakob

Reaction score
Are you using one of the market versions, or which one?

1. The option to turn it off already exists in both market releases. Turn it off, or take it up with android if you don't want to look at it, because android requires services which provide a persistent function (example, our functionality which relies on reacting to every screen off event) to be present as a notification. This is addressed profusely in our documentation. Here's a link to the explanation of requirements for apps that run in background. Android Developers Blog: Service API changes starting with Android 2.0

2. The prefs all have explanations of exactly what they change. If you don't want any timeout sleep, you check keep screen and keypad on. If you don't want persistent settings icon, you uncheck that. If you use a pattern mode and want the custom lockscreen to come up first, you check that. If you want it to start up after you reboot once you have unlocked it to start using the phone, you check that.

3. For the level of options available in these releases, I feel like the options are explained as well as they can be in one sentence. A help/how-to wizard is planned for later release. What you're looking at here is beta quality for the purpose of finding bugs and app conflicts so we can make it better for free. We do it this way to avoid being that company that tries to get people to shell out 5 bucks for unfinished software so they can finish it.

I'd like your feedback of a more effective explanation for any option that fits in the same space, I'll put it in immediately if you provide it. This is how I'm driving the project, totally open source. I want it to be a product of other people's suggestions and ideally their own contributions to design, code, art, etc. Open source means anyone and everyone can contribute and then benefit from the result.

Last edited:

anewday

Reaction score
This is just what I was looking for. Thanks a lot, I shall donate to this project.

ShowTime

Reaction score
Is there any way to add a feature so that it only bypasses the slide to unlock screen for a certain amount of time? What i mean is, a setting I could select so that if I put the screen to sleep, then wake it within a certain set amount of time (1 minute, 2 minutes, etc) then it bypasses the lock screen. But once the screen has been asleep for longer than the set duration, you get the lock screen again when waking it.
I've gotten in to the habit of sleeping the screen any and every time I'm done using it, to save battery life. It does get annoying when I'm texting someone periodically and am not doing anything else on the phone so I send a text, and sleep the screen, only to have to wake it and unlock it 2 or 3 minutes later when I receive a response. Would be nice to bypass the lock screen in that situation. But if I sleep the screen and, let's say leave my phone on the coffee table at a friends house for a little while (longer than teh preset duration), I'd like the lock screen to come up when the screen is woken up so whoever is using it has to unlock it. Possible?

petjakob

Reaction score
Yes, that feature is called idle timeout & I have it working in my test revision.

anewday

Reaction score
Sometimes, the lock screen still comes up when I press the power button to wake up the phone.

ShowTime

Reaction score
Yes, that feature is called idle timeout & I have it working in my test revision.

Excellent. I'll keep an eye out and will definitely be picking up the app when it's integrated. Thanks for the work and quick response.

faxman75

Reaction score
Has the mylock app been removed from the market? I see tons of people commenting on it yesterday but today I don't see it. I was all ready to download it and i've even tried scanning that symbol for various versions on the mylock page. I got nothing.

MJ5150

Reaction score
Has the mylock app been removed from the market? I see tons of people commenting on it yesterday but today I don't see it. I was all ready to download it and i've even tried scanning that symbol for various versions on the mylock page. I got nothing.

Whoa. I don't see it either. Good thing I already downloaded it.

-Mike

petjakob

Reaction score
Downloads are now re-enabled. Project might make pretty slow progress for a really brief interim due to limits on my extra time. I am really hoping to get a 2nd dev involved.

faxman75

Reaction score
Thank you. Exactly what I wanted. Put the phone to sleep and wake it up with the same button and no lock screen when I wake it back up.