My take on battery life

glucar

Reaction score
I view the Droid X as a mini laptop. We know laptops need to be recharged quite often. The Droid is comparable to what a laptop does so it should not be surprising that you need to recharge throughout the day. I just keep my car dock and charges handy and plug in when I can. It doesn't bother me too much. My Itouch is constantly needing charging so I am used to it..

jfrost1920

Reaction score
You know what, since the 2.2 upgrade, I haven't had bad battery life at all! When I am at work, and just using the phone for phone calls and texting, I turn off mobile data. If I need it, I just turn it on real quick, use the internet or navigation, then turn it back off. Takes about 2 seconds of my time and the battery life is awesome. Yesterday I talked for around 2 1/2 hours (one call alone was 2 hours--old army buddy and we were drinking beer and reminiscing), sent about 30 texts, watched a youtube video (for school) and posted to a discussion board, and used the navigation for about 25 mins. At night, I turn on wifi, some on and off usage, and by 10pm when I went to bed, I was at 70% battery life. Probably could've gone all day the next day too. My standard X battery is perfectly fine with me and Ill shut off mobile data over and over again to keep that battery life going!! Today I have been up since 530am; its 953am right now. Wifi running. I've sent 10 texts, downloaded some app updates and other misc stuff. Battery life is at MAX. You"ll never catch me complaining...

Smokie

Reaction score
so when you turn off data you don't get push notifications like emails anymore? what exactly don't you receive anymore with data off? the long batter life sounds great, but how limited is the phone when thats off?

jfrost1920

Reaction score
I don't get push emails anymore, but I don't miss it. None of my work is through emails, so it doesn't effect me. Some people might not be able to do without this feature, but I can, so I do. Basically when you turn off mobile data, you can make and receive calls and get texts. It is just a phone. No syncing capabilities. Then, at lunch or when I'm bored, Ill kick on the data and check my emails or Facebook or whatever and let the phone sync. Then I turn it back off. I have Quick settings and I can kick on the mobile data in two clicks. So it is no big deal for me to turn it on when I need it. Im not saying this is the way to go for everyone. It works for me just fine, for my situation, and keeps my battery life way up there so if I NEED my phone for 3g stuff, then the battery life will be there. Again, it works for me. Probably not for everyone.

alboboy10

Reaction score
You guys who do all that stuff and go with that much battery remaining...count your blessings you have freak phones

BodyBagz

Reaction score
You guys who do all that stuff and go with that much battery remaining...count your blessings you have freak phones
No...not freak phones...just an understanding that the device is first and foremost a PHONE...and as such, a phone should be able to last more than 12 hours on a single charge when using it. Yes, this phone does do a lot more than a normal phone does..but it DOES NOT have to do it the entire time you have it turned on.

Yes you can navigate with the GPS, but do you need to all day or for hours on end...of course not.
Yes you can surf the internet and post on Twitter and Facebook, but do you need to be able to do that all day...of course not.
Yes, you can use it as an MP3 player, but do you need to have it playing tunes all day...of course not.

So, why not turn off those not needed functions during the times when they are not needed in order to be able to use the phone for its primary use...making phone calls? I routinely do all those things through out the day, and yet I get on average 15-21 hours from a normal full charge...and that means when I plug back up my phone is in between 30-60% charged...I could go further before charging.

alboboy10

Reaction score
No...not freak phones...just an understanding that the device is first and foremost a PHONE...and as such, a phone should be able to last more than 12 hours on a single charge when using it. Yes, this phone does do a lot more than a normal phone does..but it DOES NOT have to do it the entire time you have it turned on.

Yes you can navigate with the GPS, but do you need to all day or for hours on end...of course not.
Yes you can surf the internet and post on Twitter and Facebook, but do you need to be able to do that all day...of course not.
Yes, you can use it as an MP3 player, but do you need to have it playing tunes all day...of course not.

So, why not turn off those not needed functions during the times when they are not needed in order to be able to use the phone for its primary use...making phone calls? I routinely do all those things through out the day, and yet I get on average 15-21 hours from a normal full charge...and that means when I plug back up my phone is in between 30-60% charged...I could go further before charging.

Lol read what jfrost said. That's a freak phone. I took most widgets off and followed everything this thread says and I did this before too. My phone is good with battery, similar to yours. But there's no way I can compete with some people on this site and the amount of hours they get. They go days

Maybe I have something that eats the battery on. But idk

BodyBagz

Reaction score

Lol read what jfrost said. That's a freak phone. I took most widgets off and followed everything this thread says and I did this before too. My phone is good with battery, similar to yours. But there's no way I can compete with some people on this site and the amount of hours they get. They go days

Maybe I have something that eats the battery on. But idk
To save me some typing, here is a reply I made over on [H]ardForum concerning battery life on my Droid X...

"On my Droid X, non-rooted since Froyo update, I routinely get 12-17 hours with above average use. My longest to date "off charger" session has been just a tad over 31 hours, again with average use....

By "average", I mean:
5-10 less than 5 minute phone calls
1-5 more than 5 minute phone calls
5-15 text and MMS messages
1-5 Facebook updates/checking Facebook
1-3 E-mail checks/deleting sessions for Gmail and Charter accounts
1 hour of MP3 playback on the commute home from work
1/2 - 1 hour of "showing off apps" to friends/downloading/installing apps
1-5 YouTube video viewings

All I have done so far as "tweeks" to get this type usage? Leave the damn thing alone for the most part...lol Once Froyo came, a better Battery Manager was included, and by default the phone is always in Nighttime Saver Mode...and my battery life increased 50% easily with the update."

I stand by "not having a freak phone" and instead tend to believe that if you treat the device as a phone first, and shiny tech toy second, you will get an increase in your battery`s life...but thats just my personal opinion...

NYDroid

Reaction score
Here's the take on my battery life after I rooted my phone on Saturday under 2.2. I am using the extented battery from Verizon and I just received this phone last Thursday.

Sunday, I unplugged the X with a full charge at 1:30PM to go to work. As soon as I hop in the car, I listened to MP3 off of the X for an hour. On my way back home at 11:30PM, it's another hour of MP3. Throughout the day, I used the phone 10 times and overall time for phone calls was 2 hours. Between txt, surfing the net, and Facebook, another hour of usage.

I did not charge the phone as of yet and it is now Monday at 2AM. I still have 70%.

I don't use LIVE wallpaper. GPS/Wifi/BT are all turned off.

Good stuff!

liferefugee

Reaction score
Even with heavy use, I just keep a spare battery on a charger at home. Swapping out if needed, using the car charger when in the car (can't use it and drive so might as well charge) and a desktop charger at work. With this setup I am never without plenty of battery
no matter what I do.

Typed with Swype on my Droid X and sent with Tapatalk.