Need battery advice - should I leave DX charging at work all day?

trale

Reaction score
I'd like to know some best practices on how to prolong the overall long term lifespan of the battery.

Basically, I already charge my phone every night as I sleep. It can make it through an entire day with moderate use, so I don't need to charge it at work too, but I'm wondering if I should anyway. If I do, that means the phone will be plugged in about 17 hrs each day, and stay at 100% while trickle charged constantly.

Is this good for the battery though?

Or would it be better to just leave it unplugged during the day and let it drain to 20-40% at the end of the day and then charge it overnight (what I'm doing right now)

I've found that laptop battery life degrade pretty fast if I leave it plugged in all the time, so I suspect the same would be true of the phone.

VegaLA

Reaction score
I do.

I imagine the Dock system charges/keeps the battery charged and you could use that thing all day for watchuing vids/listening to music so I don't see how it would deteriate the life of the battery. If someone with a better understanding of how batteries work can correct me please do but killing the battery for keeping it charged while in use seems silly to me.

debdroid1a

Reaction score
During the day I have my Droid1 plugged into my computer to charge and listen to music morning and afternoon. I unplug it at lunch to use. Then charge it at night (after using it in the evening). So it never stays 100% charged for long, but hardly falls below 60% anymore. I've been doing that for a while now and it seems fine.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'd like to know some best practices on how to prolong the overall long term lifespan of the battery.

Basically, I already charge my phone every night as I sleep. It can make it through an entire day with moderate use, so I don't need to charge it at work too, but I'm wondering if I should anyway. If I do, that means the phone will be plugged in about 17 hrs each day, and stay at 100% while trickle charged constantly.

Is this good for the battery though?

Or would it be better to just leave it unplugged during the day and let it drain to 20-40% at the end of the day and then charge it overnight (what I'm doing right now)

I've found that laptop battery life degrade pretty fast if I leave it plugged in all the time, so I suspect the same would be true of the phone.

I leave mine on charge all the time. It won't hurt the battery.

You can't overcharge the battery, and it doesn't have a memory so you can charge it as often as you like. You also don't need to let it run down completely daily, however I do believe that some recommend you do it 2 or 3 times a year. In any case this battery will shut off the Droid at 5%.