Leaving charger plugged in after battery reaches 100%

mistersink

Reaction score
I was wondering if the razr has anything built in that will prevent the phone from charging the battery if it is left plugged in after it reaches 100% power. My laptop had an issue were it would charge up to 100% and discharge slowly to 99% while it was still plugged in and then recharge to 100%, so it would do a ton of mini charges which hurt the battery life over time. I found a setting on my laptop that allowed for it to only charge when below a certain percentage (i chose 30%) and then when it hits 100% it will never initiate a charge until it hits 30% again. Any apps that manage this? or is this not an issue on the razr?
thanks.

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
The battery will stop charging at 100%.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

OP
M

mistersink

Reaction score
i know this, but i just have a hard time believing that leaving it plugged in overnight wont hurt the battery by performing a bunch of short discharge/charge cycles like many laptops do.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
I was wondering if the razr has anything built in that will prevent the phone from charging the battery if it is left plugged in after it reaches 100% power. My laptop had an issue were it would charge up to 100% and discharge slowly to 99% while it was still plugged in and then recharge to 100%, so it would do a ton of mini charges which hurt the battery life over time. I found a setting on my laptop that allowed for it to only charge when below a certain percentage (i chose 30%) and then when it hits 100% it will never initiate a charge until it hits 30% again. Any apps that manage this? or is this not an issue on the razr?
thanks.

Those miniscule discharges are the natural effect of the phone (or other device) using a portion of its charge, and of the device being smart enough to know to shut off charging once it's reached maximum. As for damaging the battery by charging over and over but only to top it off, I don't believe that the battery will suffer at any practically measurable amount if it is left docked every night. If it were, then there wouldn't be docks and there woudn't be "Bedside" as a choice on a dock, and they wouldn't double-function as alarm clocks. Go to Batteryuniversity.com to read up on the particulars of Lithium based batteries and you'll find that much of what used to be a concern regarding battery management is now a non-issue as the new battery chemistry is either no longer subject to those damages or the circuitry in the battery/charger/device is engineered to minimize or eliminate much of what we do to the battery without thinking on a daily basis.