My Own Custom ROM

Asphyx

Reaction score
So you guys are saying that the fission rom for the D2G is purely cosmetic, it doesn't add any fuctionality, and give better battery life and make the phone run faster, like the roms for the D2 and DX or even the OG Droid? I'm really good with computers and I know some programming, but all the stuff you guys just posted made only half sense to me, but it sounds like your saying flashing fission to my D2G is pointless except to make it look cooler. Or am I wrong? Does it help battery life and other functionality?

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums App

No your reading us wrong. LOL

Fission is most DEFINITLY worth flashing to your D2G!

The difference is the D2 version has more or less been built from scratch (not really sure that this statement is totally true) or Some combination of Vanilla plus custom code and the D2G version started off from the Stock Moto and was tweaked to support some of the functions (like Theming) of the D2 version.

The D2G version GREATLY enhances battery life and performance by simply removing all the bloatware (Blur) that Motorola puts into their rom.

Maybe a better way to look at it is from a manufacturers perspective.

Google makes a standard Android with just the barebones of the OS but no drivers. We identify these by Version numbers and the name Google calls those versions (Eclair, Froyo, Gingerbread etc...). They are Open Source and available to anyone for use.

The Manufacturer takes that and builds drivers for their hardware (aka the Kernel) and add software to support all the functions of the specific hardware it is going to be run on. We call this the STOCK ROM because it is the one that everyone gets when they take it out of the box for the first time.

the D2 version is more like the proccess the Manufacturer goes through with the exeption of making the drivers. It likely (and like I said above I could be wrong I don't really follow the D2 build) starts off with the same Vanilla Android the manufacturer does and makes changes the way the manufacturer would when building the end product.

the D2G version of Fission simply changes the STOCK software but not much else.

So the D2 version starts off with less and then adds more.
the D2G version starts off with more and the CRAP Moto added has been taken away. Addition by subtraction or replacement in some cases.

The difference will be that you will see some functions in the D2 version you might not see in the D2G version right now. My guess is probably not too much but because the D2 version started with a minimal framework and built up it might be a bit more efficient and run slightly better than the D2G that attempted to remove all the crap but may have missed or was forced to leave something there due to compatability issues such as the Radio subsystem that is needed to support the Dual band radio.

At some point Angdroid will get the two projects to use the same basic framework. Romer has already started towards that goal not only for Fission but Liberty and any other D2 rom (some exceptions) as well.

I personally suggest you flash Fission if you have a D2G.
The Battery life alone makes it worth it. You will lose those customized Motorola widgets you had with the Stock but you can easily replace them with widgets from the market.

The unit will be snappier (because it isn't trying to run the 400 pounds of crap Moto put into their stock rom) and more easily customized and themed now that you can use the many D2 "Fission" themes that are out there.

The only reason I pointed out what I did at all was to let people know that just because you see a new version of Fission for the D2 doesn't mean that something new is about to be released for the D2G. Some people didn't know that for all intents and purposes the two projects with the same name and same version number are actually two very different projects at this point.

We keep hoping Ang will get the time and finally join the two into one uniform framework so that when a feature is added to the D2 project it can also be used on the D2G.

Right now that isn't the case.

Reaction score
No such thing and thinking too much, at least when it comes to tech stuff. I've been completely enthralled by building custom PC's and programming and modding consoles and video games and all that, and hacking/modding phones is a whole new world to me and I'm addicted so I wanna learn every thing there is to learn. But thanks for the answer lol

I disagree. If you overthink a simple process to the point that it's difficult or overly time consuming, you have thought too much. Based on your posts here, I'd say you think too much. It's a trap nerdy people tend to fall into (I'm more than guilty myself) because they like to know things. Take it from someone who has done this for awhile... You're thinking too much. Start flashing ROMs, gain some of your own experience, form your own opinions... Forums are good places for info, but they're also often completely subjective. You can only base so much off the info strangers on the internet provide...

Reaction score
Lol, the only stupid question is the question not asked. There's a difference between overthinking and just wanted to get the facts straight. Everyone goes about things differently and I choose to learn as much as possible before putting what I learn into practice. If what you call "overthinking" it, gives me the knoweldge I desire, and helps better my understanding of how roms and modding of phones work, then I'm ok with that. But anyways, sounds like imy question was answered and I will get more then just visual changes from flashing fission to my phone. So tonight, I falsh my first rom, and then try to convince my gf to let me do it to her D2G as well lol oh and for the record, I'm a geek not a nerd hahaha

Asphyx

Reaction score
I work in Television as an Engineer and I can't tell you how many times I have had to deal with a client who has over engineered the project simply because they CAN despite the fact they don't need to.

And the end result is usually all the crap you didn't need to do is what screws the rest of the Pooch! LOL

But that doesn't mean you shouldn't consider more options.

You can't really over complicate thinking and as long as you don't over complicate implementation as a result you will be fine!

Right now anyone who wants to customize the D2G at a system level should simply start where Angdroid started.

Take a stock D2G build and try replacing the parts of the framework that are not hardware dependent. If your change works without issue then you can then move on and change something else.

Reaction score
Yea, I'm not familiar with angdroids work, and I have no idea how to go about changing things on my phone myself, but I want to learn, like I said, smartphones are foreign to me, this is my first one. Give me a PC, or an gaming console and I could do whatever you want lol but phones are a new frontier to me. Is there any links anyone can give that would be good reading to learn more about the stuff you guys have been talking about

Asphyx

Reaction score
Yea, I'm not familiar with angdroids work, and I have no idea how to go about changing things on my phone myself, but I want to learn, like I said, smartphones are foreign to me, this is my first one. Give me a PC, or an gaming console and I could do whatever you want lol but phones are a new frontier to me. Is there any links anyone can give that would be good reading to learn more about the stuff you guys have been talking about

Well first step would be a book on Linux since building a Android rom is very similar to building a linux OS.