My Own Custom ROM

13th angel

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
In ttheory you should be able to push the framework files from 2.5.7 over the 2.4.3 base. I haven't tried it yet because I dont know how to adb push.

Sent from my Fissioned D2G

Asphyx

Reaction score
Also, my phone is now stuck in a bootloop after SBF.
Try clearing data and cache!

I haven't personally tried it, but from what I've read here on the forums people are still having the sensor issue.
Yes that because Romer still hasn't found whatever is needed to make them work without crashing. I think they will once there are more examples of D2G builds to compare with. My guess is if Angdroid ever gets the D2G version of Fission integrated with the D2 framework we will find the answer.

Hmm... could you elaborate on the difference .. im runnin a D2G with fission 2.4.3 ... just curious .. but in all reality i guess im going to have to wait for Angdroid to finish his work ..

I believe that the D2G version of Fission does not really incorporate the custom framework of the D2 version it is simply a hack of the stock Moto ROM with some edits to allow the D2 Fission theming to work. It has replaced some of the framework with vanilla android as a start but is has not really integrated all of the work that is in the D2 Fission yet.

Buryboi from the Romer group has done the most research into that so maybe he can say for sure what the differences are.

But from what I understand the D2G is not much more than a replacement of the SYSTEM folder over the stock Moto that has been deblurred as opposed to a full framework replacement the way the D2 version of Fission and things like Liberty are.

Which is why you need to go back via SBF after flashing Liberty and Romer if you want to go back to the Fission D2G system.

Nandroid should work though if you made a backup there.

The difficulties and differences between the D2 and D2G is due to the dual band nature of the radio. Kind of like the problem with flashing a CDMA rom on a GSM WM phone. WOn't work.

And it means that some routines needed to run the Dual Band radio are not needed or present in a D2 ROM.

Romer's goal is to find everything that is needed and put it there.
And they have done much better than I would have expected that approach to work.

The fact that the sensors are the hold up and not the radio is really amazing! LOL

kickyindahead

Reaction score
Thankyou for the explaination ... the vision of clearer than mud has been changed to clearer than muddy water... im startin to understand this stuff... kinda lol

buryboi

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
droidtwoglobalgetrdonedevteam.webs.com
Asphyx is right.

Fission for the D2G shares nothing but a version number with Fission for the D2 (well a version number and some images in framework-res.apk)

If you push D2 Frameworks to a D2G, you absolutely must also push /system/lib/libandroid_runtime.so and /system/lib/libandroid_servers.so

Essentially, when using the Romer, you Flash a D2 Rom, which puts all D2 files on the /system partition of the phone, then flash the Romer which puts all the D2G files back with the exception of the two files mentioned above.

You can pull the images from Liberty's framework-res.apk and put them in Fissions and have a Liberty theme (I've got that done, but haven't posted it). You can also run all the Liberty Apps except settings and settings provider and get even closer (the only app you cant run with out the liberty frameworks is browser.apk, it will force close due to permissions that are laid out in the D2 Frameworks that are different from D2G frameworks).

Also, I think Asphyx already said it but if, after SBF, you get stuck in bootloop, pull the battery, boot into stock recovery (hold X and power until the you see the android, then press the search button on the keyboard), wipe data/factory reset and reboot.

Good luck!

CellZealot

Reaction score
This is certain to be a very unpopular statement but here goes...

"De-Bluring" any Motorola phone invariably breaks some functions and doing so on Global devices is worse yet for all of the above stated reasons.

I have yet to see any Blurless build where Diag mode access properly functions for virtual serial port COM assignment allowing service programming with Qualcomm service ware. I realize this is a very insignificant consideration to average users but is indicative of how the Blur framework is integrated with the radio and other hardware on the phone and how complicated it is to remove the Motorola proprietary drivers.

This is why I don't use any of them and consider all to be far too much trouble and liability for what is gained.

To each his own. ;)

Asphyx

Reaction score
This is certain to be a very unpopular statement but here goes...

"De-Bluring" any Motorola phone invariably breaks some functions and doing so on Global devices is worse yet for all of the above stated reasons.

I have yet to see any Blurless build where Diag mode access properly functions for virtual serial port COM assignment allowing service programming with Qualcomm service ware. I realize this is a very insignificant consideration to average users but is indicative of how the Blur framework is integrated with the radio and other hardware on the phone and how complicated it is to remove the Motorola proprietary drivers.

This is why I don't use any of them and consider all to be far too much trouble and liability for what is gained.

To each his own. ;)

Yes but that could all be solved if the bootloader were to be unlocked and you could flash a custom kernel to the phone.

That is really the thing that is hurting the development here.
If we could solve that even CyanogenMod would be possible on the phone and Blur would be a distant memory.

Blur really does suck the power and the battery to extinction. You see this quite clearly when flashing Fission or Freezing the Blur in Titanium backup.

The results are almost miraculous! I no longer need to carry a charger with me! LOL

The roms are nice changes and they do add lost of functionality but until someone hacks the bootloader issue we are forced to live with cosmetic changes at best!

I personally don't find any issues that you brought up but then again all i care about is it makes phone calls, gets txtx and email and doesn't crash or need charging every 4 hours.

It does that then it's all I really need.

Maybe not all I want but you know Life isn't always fair! LOL

Thanks for the confirmation of my understanding BB!

CellZealot

Reaction score
I remove whatever bloat and Blur I need/want to from my phones and they run quite well, so that is not the issue. It's the blind drive to remove all traces of Blur that is misguided IMO. Motorola makes great phones because they understand the radio hardware better than anyone else. Even the OG Droid requires the use of Moto proprietary drivers and binaries that must be pulled from a stock phone with a script and loaded back into the AOSP build in order for it to function at all.

I just think very few if any of the ROM developers understand the radio and low level hardware functions well enough to manage the problems created by removing Blur.

Again, just my opinion and assessment of the current state of ROM development for these phones.

YMMV.

Asphyx

Reaction score
Well Cell I don't disagree and as to the fact that most rom builders don't really know how to write for the hardware the biggest issue is because they can't! All of that is built into the kernel which no one can program until the bootloader allows custom work on that.

But what you said has always been the issue with custom roms even in the WM releases that everyone was accustomed to.

Most ROMs are merely rips of framework from some newer device with the drivers ripped out and thrown in to support some older device that no update was made available for.

This is why the leaks of say the TP2 ROM were important to getting Sense on an older TP. Or 6.5 onto a device that was never intended to run 6.5!

And usually what is done is they take from one unit, mix and match ROM files and rarely if ever write drivers from scratch.

Android being Linux based makes it much easier to write custom drivers but unless you can load them into the phone it really is a useless endeavor.

If there were more moto phones with Dual Band radios then it wouldn't be as difficult but since the DPro and D2G are currently all there is there is less examples to draw from.

Just look at what can be done for the D2 when compared to the D2G.

Thats because they also have the Millenium and Droid and all those other CDMA Only phones to look at and draw their files from.

The bootloader being unlocked will solve any problem you might have with debluring if it can even BE unlocked.

And I have been a user at XDA for quite a long time.
The only reason it is taking this long is that not everyone goes for a dual band phone. It's too new and in most cases not something anyone who doesn't go overseas needs.

To crack an encryption requires as many examples as possible to crqack the key and the D2G is not exactly the best selling phone out there right now.

13th angel

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Theres also the fact that it has an estimated encryption key of over 2000 characters so it would take forever to brute-force crack it.

However, it would help if their were more devs that actually have dual band phones. The only dev's that have d2g's (as far as i know) are angdroid and buryboi. And as buryboi has said multiple time, his knowledge is just from trial and error. Ive learned alot from it to (mostly what not to do lol) and from playing with ubuntu on my laptop but im not even close to being able to help with these besides testing.

Asphyx

Reaction score
Theres also the fact that it has an estimated encryption key of over 2000 characters so it would take forever to brute-force crack it.

However, it would help if their were more devs that actually have dual band phones. The only dev's that have d2g's (as far as i know) are angdroid and buryboi. And as buryboi has said multiple time, his knowledge is just from trial and error. Ive learned alot from it to (mostly what not to do lol) and from playing with ubuntu on my laptop but im not even close to being able to help with these besides testing.

Yep it sure won't be easy buy Brute force is not the way to do it anyhow.

The way to do it is to look at as many signatures as possible and that will help you find the master key.
Basically what it is about is finding the common denominator between all the keys and from there you can limit the possibilites down to a hackable level.

But we are talking about needing hundreds of keys to sample before that is even remotly possible.

Right now there are only two released systems for the D2G from Moto so we would need a few more upgrades before the proccess could even start.

Unless Moto decides to unlock it for us.
LOL

OP
apollyon0810

apollyon0810

Reaction score
You guys are right. I've given up the dream of customizing my D2G. I guess I'll focus all my energies on my Xoom when it gets here. At least I can change the kernel on that thing...

Asphyx

Reaction score
You guys are right. I've given up the dream of customizing my D2G. I guess I'll focus all my energies on my Xoom when it gets here. At least I can change the kernel on that thing...

lol It's still pretty customizable, just not going to be a very transformative experience until the Bootloader gets unlocked! lol

Reaction score
So you guys are saying that the fission rom for the D2G is purely cosmetic, it doesn't add any fuctionality, and give better battery life and make the phone run faster, like the roms for the D2 and DX or even the OG Droid? I'm really good with computers and I know some programming, but all the stuff you guys just posted made only half sense to me, but it sounds like your saying flashing fission to my D2G is pointless except to make it look cooler. Or am I wrong? Does it help battery life and other functionality?

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums App

Reaction score
No such thing and thinking too much, at least when it comes to tech stuff. I've been completely enthralled by building custom PC's and programming and modding consoles and video games and all that, and hacking/modding phones is a whole new world to me and I'm addicted so I wanna learn every thing there is to learn. But thanks for the answer lol

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums App