Liberty on D2G (or any D2 Roms) - Is it possible?!?

buryboi

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
droidtwoglobalgetrdonedevteam.webs.com
So, I should probably preface this by saying, I know next to nothing about building Roms. Always enjoyed flashing them, but never actually bothered to put one together.

Having previously had an original Droid, I got used to flashing a new rom every other day, sadly, this isn't an option on the D2G...yet. Fission is great, I've been running it since SBF came out, and love it. Everything I loved about the Droid, is now found on the D2G. Mostly anyways.

I'd hoped (as everyone else had) that with the SBF out, the D2G would get some love, call me impatient, but it hasn't happened yet. So here we are.

Liberty...looks intriguing, thought it might be cool on the D2G so I modified the update-script so as not to format /system and not flash logo.bin. (I manually formatted system and data through clockwork recovery prior to flashing)

Boots and runs but with the following issues:

1. Cant sleep, pressing power to sleep, will soft boot the phone when waking. (Deal Breaker)

2. No cell signal (wrong ril lib files...easy fix)

3. Wrong physical keyboard files, alt gives weird symbols (also easy fix)

4. Camera fine, but Camcorder hangs (and shows a mirror image)

Fixed Problem 2 by pushing D2G libs (if it had "ril" in the name, I pushed it)

Fixed Keyboard by pushing the D2we keyboard files.

I cant fix the soft boot on wake issue, ( I assume it's a framework issue that I don't have the knowledge to fix...yet;)) and haven't tried the camera as I assume it's a quick fix but not worth messing with if I cant overcome the soft reboots.

As of now, I'm running a hybrid, I started with the liberty rom, overwrote the libs and Framework with D2G's so essentially I have Liberty apps (minus browser, swype, and LatinIME) and the rest Fission. So far everything is fine/stable, but I can't access **PROGRAM (or ##PROGRAM, I never remember which) and "Roaming Indicator Flashing" will not go away.

FWIW, The Liberty guys have done a great job, their roottools/scripts are amazing!

Clearly, I'm playing with fire here (already soft bricked once by mixing Fission framework files with Liberty), but does anybody who actually knows how to port a rom care to chime in?

xda had tons of info on HTC rom kitchen, but I'm not sure if that applies to D2G since we cant mess with kernel or radio and are essentially just swapping system files.

devinmrn

Reaction score
Hey I think you can fix the ##PROGRAM issue with a patch that Fission has released. And for the roaming indicator do you have the correct PRL? You can get the latest by dialing *22899 or just *228 option 1. I am also interested in Liberty on the Global.

Please see this thread if you are looking for more information.
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/liberty-rom-d2/119092-liberty-droid-two-global.html

Regards,
Devin Morin

Dark Lazer

Reaction score
Bump because we need more roms on the D2G and I would love for this to work. You're awesome for trying this.

I wonder if this would get more help on the general droid board, since activity on this section seems pretty dead, but here's hoping for the best!

Mike Dee

Reaction score
Bump!! Because you're awesome!

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums App

sudod2g

Reaction score
Finally, this is eaxactly what d2g needs, so that I will stop flashing roms and kernels to my wifes fascinate.

I would really like something like blackholes build your own rom on rom manager for d2g.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums App

mreyn3693

Reaction score
Bump hoping that somebody that may be of assistance to your plan sees...

Keep up the good work.dancedroid

OP
B

buryboi

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
Alright here's where I'm at.

If I use the Liberty build.prop, editing it only for the right radio usb, I get data, proper lights, and sensors and no soft reboot on wake.

The problem with that is that about phone reports as droid 2 not d2g.

If I edit the build.prop to reflect D2G, I get light and sensor issues, and soft reboot on wake. I've fixed the lights, but not the sensors...

Now for the good news here is what I got working:

Voice
Data
Camera (no video)
GPS
Market
Keyboard

Here's is what I don't have working:

Video (crashes as soon as I hit record)
Droid 2 Global sensors

Things that haven't yet been tested:
Bluetooth
GSM

I assume, that If I can figure this ROM out, what I learn could theoretically be used to port other roms over.

Again, I'm not a Rom builder or a programmer and I don't know a thing about building kernels (not that it matters since we can't touch ours), but heck, if nobody else is going to give the D2G some love, I might as well!

Reaction score
Alright here's where I'm at.

If I use the Liberty build.prop, editing it only for the right radio usb, I get data, proper lights, and sensors and no soft reboot on wake.

The problem with that is that about phone reports as droid 2 not d2g.

If I edit the build.prop to reflect D2G, I get light and sensor issues, and soft reboot on wake. I've fixed the lights, but not the sensors...

Now for the good news here is what I got working:

Voice
Data
Camera (no video)
GPS
Market
Keyboard

Here's is what I don't have working:

Video (crashes as soon as I hit record)
Droid 2 Global sensors

Things that haven't yet been tested:
Bluetooth
GSM

I assume, that If I can figure this ROM out, what I learn could theoretically be used to port other roms over.

Again, I'm not a Rom builder or a programmer and I don't know a thing about building kernels (not that it matters since we can't touch ours), but heck, if nobody else is going to give the D2G some love, I might as well!

So if I wanted to learn from scratch and try to help you out (I also am sick of the lack of D2G ROMs), what links would you point me at? You obviously picked up some stuff. I'm smart and good at coding, so this can't be too bad, right?

OP
B

buryboi

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
I wish I had some good links to point you to...unfortunately, I haven't found them yet. Everything I've figured out has so far been by trial and error.

After flashing D2 Liberty ROM through clockwork I did the following to get it working:

1. replace /system/lib/libmoto_ril.so with one from Fission or factory Moto and change permissions to rw-r--r-- (this will get the Voice Radio working)

2. Edit build.prop: Under additional build properties is a line "...ril.modem=/tty/USB0..." (or something like that), it needs to be changed to USB4 to get the data working.

3. replace /system/lib/libgps_rds.so and /system/lib/libhardware_legacy.so with ones from Fission or factory Moto (again permissions to rw-r--r--) to get the GPS going.

4. Camera took three or four more libs. Still cant get Video.

5. I've screwed around with /system/lib/hw files to get auto rotate to work...no dice. Well that's only half true, I can get it to work, that is until the phone sleeps...then it won't wake without a soft reboot.

So far I've soft bricked my precious D2G...TWICE :biggrin:

SBFing is fun!!! Seriously though, I feel like I'm just missing the obvious...But in my defense, Angdroid hasn't released updates for the D2G Fission in awhile...could it be that the D2G is actually harder to port to? I don't know just throwin it out there.;)

Thanks a ton for the offer NiceGuy! I'm just not sure I know where to point you. What would be great is a list of all the /system/lib files and what they are related to...simply guessing makes for slow going.

Castro

Reaction score
I wish I had some good links to point you to...unfortunately, I haven't found them yet. Everything I've figured out has so far been by trial and error.

After flashing D2 Liberty ROM through clockwork I did the following to get it working:

1. replace /system/lib/libmoto_ril.so with one from Fission or factory Moto and change permissions to rw-r--r-- (this will get the Voice Radio working)

2. Edit build.prop: Under additional build properties is a line "...ril.modem=/tty/USB0..." (or something like that), it needs to be changed to USB4 to get the data working.

3. replace /system/lib/libgps_rds.so and /system/lib/libhardware_legacy.so with ones from Fission or factory Moto (again permissions to rw-r--r--) to get the GPS going.

4. Camera took three or four more libs. Still cant get Video.

5. I've screwed around with /system/lib/hw files to get auto rotate to work...no dice. Well that's only half true, I can get it to work, that is until the phone sleeps...then it won't wake without a soft reboot.

So far I've soft bricked my precious D2G...TWICE :biggrin:

SBFing is fun!!! Seriously though, I feel like I'm just missing the obvious...But in my defense, Angdroid hasn't released updates for the D2G Fission in awhile...could it be that the D2G is actually harder to port to? I don't know just throwin it out there.;)

Thanks a ton for the offer NiceGuy! I'm just not sure I know where to point you. What would be great is a list of all the /system/lib files and what they are related to...simply guessing makes for slow going.

What do you use to edit the build.prop?

OP
B

buryboi

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
I use a handy program called jedit, here's a link:

jEdit - Programmer's Text Editor - download

Since I'm usually on a Windows machine, I found out that notepad and wordpad don't play nice with unix/linux files....jedit on the other hand does a much better job.

PS. I've got Video Recording working now!!! If I can get these sensors to work, we might have a rom on our hands.

OP
B

buryboi

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
Ok, so here's where I'm at

To the 3 - 5 D2G users that have rooted and care to run custom "roms" (Yeah, Yeah, I know there are probably more.;)) Here is what I've got.

I've been running Liberty for a couple of days now with only one semi-major issue. I have to disable the sensors.so file or it won't sleep and wake properly. In this configuration, it sleeps and wakes, but wont do auto brightness, proximity related functions (wake during a phone call without pushing the power button), and no auto rotate (but it does rotate when popping out the physical keyboard).

Solutions that I've attempted...

Plan A - Start with Liberty and replace some files with Fission until it works.

1. I md5sum(ed) all the .so files in /system/lib for both Liberty and Fission, many are the same, but several are different and some are only in one or the other. Now knowing which files are actually different, I have gone through 1 by 1 and replaced Liberty .so files with Fission .so files. Some have no noticeable effect, while others totally hose the phone. Some are tied together and need to be changed in groups. As of yet, I haven't found a combination that fixes the sensor issue.

2. Use the D2 sensors.so (looking into this further, it appears that D2 uses different sensor chips than the D2G, so I thought maybe one of the Liberty frameworks refers to the wrong sensor when waking/sleeping).

3. Replace liberty framework files 1 by 1 with fission frameworks. Like .so files, some have no noticeable effect, while others won't boot.

Plan B - Start with Fission and add in Liberty nuggets.

1. Got all Liberty Apps (except browser which is tied to a Liberty framework...I think; and swype.apk which checks build.prop for D2 not D2G) and scripts working, just need someone to "theme" frameworks-res.apk or edit the Liberty D2 one to work on D2G.

If anybody else wants to chime in, I'm all for suggestions. Again, I'm not a developer of any kind, just wanting to see if a Droid "layperson" could figure this out. A smart person probably knows exactly why it's not working and even possibly, that my attempts are futile.