My open letter to AT&T regarding merger

OP
B

belome

Reaction score
3. Wait until I get forced to AT&T and receive some free phone, making sure not to sign anything or agree to anything. Then immediately cancel the AT&T service and sign up with Alltel (or hopefully they are Verizon by then).
Now I have heard rumor of there being an "opt out" period shortly before and after the transition date, allowing one to stay with Verizon service.

That is exactly what I'm doing. I think the most humorous part about the whole deal is that I would actually give AT&T a try if they gave me a real phone, but no way in hell am I going to keep a HTC Aria. That's just silly.

Canadroid

Reaction score
My sympathies and good luck. Just had the pleasure of cancelling ATT with extreme prejudice to defect to VZW here in WA.

OP
B

belome

Reaction score
So, in last stictch attempt to get anyone at AT&T to listen to me, I sent them this. It really sums up how I feel about the news of the merger that is forcing me to become an ATT customer. Do you think anyone at AT&T will listen?

Dear AT&T,

I just wanted to start out by saying that I’m a very satisfied Verizon customer. That all changed recently when I found out I am being transitioned from Verizon to AT&T forcibly. I realize that you have no say in the matter, actually, nobody does except the FCC. I understand that.

My problem is that AT&T isn’t giving me a chance to be their customer. I currently have a Droid 2 which is Verizon’s flagship Andriod phone. AT&T, as part of the merger, is offering me the HTC Aria which is AT&T’s bottom of the line Andriod phone. I’m sure that doesn’t really mean a lot to you as a customer service agent, but for me as a consumer it is a tough pill to swallow. I’m a tech guy and I like fancy bells and whistles, and the HTC Aria has none of what I’m looking for.

Now, I’m sure you are thinking to yourself, but Sir, you can upgrade to any of our better phones for a fee. Sure, I could, but then I’d be tied to a two year contract which isn’t really that big of deal, but more importantly to me, I would no longer be able to keep my current Verizon calling plan.

To give you some background, I currently have 3 phone lines involved in the merger and I pay roughly 150 dollars a month currently. I pay my bill on time and I feel as though I’m a good customer.

The real reason for this email is to let anyone at AT&T who is willing to listen to me know that I would be willing to at least try AT&T’s service if they were willing to give me a comparable phone to what I currently have. The Samsung Captivate seems to fit the bill, but if I were to get that, I’d be forced to sign a two year contract and pay for it. Trust me, I’ve tried every outlet I can try to get someone to listen to me. LOOK, LOOK AT ME AT&T this is your ONLY CHANCE to get me as a customer but you always turn a blind eye to my requests.

So, unless something changes, I will be an AT&T customer… for about 20 minutes. I will cancel my contract and port my number back to Verizon the day I receive my free ‘comparable’ phones from you. When I get customer retention on the line and they ask why I’m cancelling I can say with a sense of entitlement that it was because AT&T refused to spend the extra $40 or so that is the cost difference between the HTC Aria and the Samsung Captivate.

AT&T is it worth it for you to lose a potential customer over $40?

Yeah, I didn’t think so either.
Steve C
Michigan Verizon Customer

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'll say this: That was a well thought out and completely commons sense approach. The writing was excellent.

I wish you the best of luck on this. It probably won't go anywhere but keep us informed just in case it does. I'm sure others in your position would like to know about this.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Good luck.

Maybe you'll get lucky dancedroid

Just for kicks, if they offer and iPhone break out in hysterical laughter.... followed by a silent pause... then a NO thanks but I said 'comparable' to my D2. :)

... it's a joke people... i know the Iphone is comparable.

OP
B

belome

Reaction score
I'll say this: That was a well thought out and completely commons sense approach. The writing was excellent.

Thank you Hook... as you can probably tell this has been weighing on me heavily for the last few weeks.

I expect nothing, but at least I can honestly say I tried to talk some sense into them.

Tanknspank

Beta Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
Good luck.

Maybe you'll get lucky dancedroid

Just for kicks, if they offer and iPhone break out in hysterical laughter.... followed by a silent pause... then a NO thanks but I said 'comparable' to my D2. :)

... it's a joke people... i know the Iphone is comparable.

I don't get the joke...?

Sent from my Droid

cpjr

Reaction score
Well, I will say this....I use both Verizon (work) and ATT (personal)....have the Droid X and iphone 4, both phones are awesome and in my area (Atlanta, Ga.) both services are fairly comparable actually. Now work pays the Verizon bill but my experience has been ATT to be a little cheaper (for me).

Thats neither here nor there, in my opinion it would be only fair to offer you basically whatever phone you wanted in some way, shape or form....otherwise thats BS. ESPECIALLY when your getting a crap phone.

jbrock98

Reaction score
I don't understand why/how your being forced 2 at&t

Sent from my Droid

OP
B

belome

Reaction score
It all has to do with the Verizon/Alltel merger. The FCC forced them to sell customers in markets where they felt Verizon would have a monopoly. A quick google will lead you to tons of information.

jbrock98

Reaction score
It all has to do with the Verizon/Alltel merger. The FCC forced them to sell customers in markets where they felt Verizon would have a monopoly. A quick google will lead you to tons of information.

Word that's crazy mane I feel so sorry 4 you

Sent from my Droid

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I don't understand, you're being forced for to ATT???

When Verizon purchased AllTel it absorbed some of the company, and left the rest of it out to run separate. Yet still part of Verizon.

As I understand it now that group of people have been sold to AT&T. So they are being forced to give up their Droids.