My Info is linked to not-me. How to link to me?

karij

Reaction score
When I arrived home from the Verizon store with my new Droid2, the Contacts | Menu | My Info entry took me to the Contacts entry named Melissa (my ex boyfriend's landlady). This lady has nothing at all to do with "My Info". Also my cell phone number had been added to that Contacts entry for no apparent reason.

I have been unable to find any instructions anywhere for how to assign "My Info" to MYSELF or even unassign it from Melissa. The Melissa entry contains only the first name, a home phone number, and nothing else (after I deleted the errant cell phone number from it).

I tried to delete Melissa's Contacts entry, and of course it said "Cannot delete your own profile."

Melissa's entry is not Linked to any other entry. My entry is linked only to my own Google Contacts entry. I tried adding "Me" as a nickname to my own entry, but that didn't help.

How do you assign "My Info" to something? I read the entire User Guide. Not a mention of it.

Thanks!

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
This seems very odd, to me. I'm baffled that a newly activated phone would somehow link contacts to another individual. Have you checked your Gmail contacts to see if they are correct?

I think a return trip to VZW is warranted. Something just not right.

Mike

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I swear that the Verizon Store employees should not be able to touch your phone unless you are watching and they are explaining what they are doing.

OP
K

karij

Reaction score
This seems very odd, to me. I'm baffled that a newly activated phone would somehow link contacts to another individual. Have you checked your Gmail contacts to see if they are correct?

I think a return trip to VZW is warranted. Something just not right.
Mike

I am desperately trying to avoid having to go back to VZW.

I don't have any Gmail contacts other than my own name with my own email address. The Gmail account was created solely for the new Droid2 phone.

I was assuming the guy who set up the phone in the Verizon store must have been the one who accidentally set "My Info" to the wrong Contact after he transferred the Contacts from my BlackBerry.

So I thought the mystery was not how it happened, but how to fix it.

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
I do not know how to rectify so that is why I suggested going back to VZW. Since you are reluctant to return to VZW call customer service. They should be able to step you through the process.

Mike

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
I swear that the Verizon Store employees should not be able to touch your phone unless you are watching and they are explaining what they are doing.
I agree, and after my Droid they will not, they can just hand me the box so I can get out of there...thinking back, I have had VZW employees take the protective covering off of new phones and everything, when I bought my Droid it was at Best Buy which was a much nicer experience and my wife's Incerdible came in the mail which was even nicer, I don't know if that would work for me though, because of the fact that I am an instant gratification kind of guy :D

OP
K

karij

Reaction score
When I arrived home from the Verizon store with my new Droid2, the Contacts | Menu | My Info entry took me to the Contacts entry named Melissa (my ex boyfriend's landlady).

This may not be the BEST way to solve it, but it worked.

I renamed the Melissa entry to my name, removed Melissa's phone number from it so it was a completely empty entry, and added a note saying "This is the Contact entry assigned to the My Info menu item," so that in the future I won't forget why I have 2 entries with my name. And I linked that profile to my own. (And created a new entry for Melissa's phone number.)

By the way, the Verizon guy - despite making this one little mistake - was a whole lot more competent than some of the others I've had in the past. I went there armed with a hard question to which I already knew the answer, and he was able to correctly answer it with no trouble at all, and he continued showing expertise throughout our very long decision and purchase process (about 1.5 hours). They're not all bad.

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
Glad you got it resolved. I'm still not understanding how someone else's name was entered into your phone.

Thanks for the follow up. It will be helpful for future reference
Mike

OP
K

karij

Reaction score
I'm still not understanding how someone else's name was entered into your phone.

Melissa's name was not entered into my phone. My entire set of Contacts was imported from Verizon's BackupAssistant (from my BlackBerry). At which time Melissa's entry was there along with all the others. The problem was that the Verizon guy then (apparently) assigned that entry as my "My Info" entry and added my cell phone number to it.

On my ex's phone (he and I got our Droid2's at the same time, from the same Verizon guy), the Verizon guy had assigned the My Info entry to an entry he created there, named "Me".

I can only assume that when the Verizon guy tried to do the same to my phone, he slipped and did it to the existing "Melissa" entry (starts with "Me") instead of creating the new "Me" entry as he intended.

gergon

Reaction score
To fix your "Melissa" issue, go to your Home Page, press the Menu Button, press Settings, press Accounts, select the appropriate account which is probably your email account, press General Settings, change the Real Name box from "Melissa" to whatever name you desire, press Next, press Done. You will have changed the name issue.

OP
K

karij

Reaction score
To fix your "Melissa" issue, go to your Home Page, press the Menu Button, press Settings, press Accounts, select the appropriate account which is probably your email account, press General Settings, change the Real Name box from "Melissa" to whatever name you desire, press Next, press Done. You will have changed the name issue.

Thank you! And indeed that must surely be related, because indeed my email account originally did claim that my Real Name was Melissa. But no, I'm sorry, I had already made the change you suggest, on my first night home with the Droid2. That did not have any effect on my "My info" menu item's behavior.

sherylsz

Reaction score
The Melissa mystery

I have the EXACT same issue. Verizon store employee transferred my contacts from Blackberry to Droid 2. I had a Melissa in my BB with one phone number. When I tried to access My Info on Droid, I found that my name was now Melissa and I had the phone number from the BB contact list, as well as my cell phone number. I, too, tried the changing of the Real Name of the phone to my own name and it didn't change the Melissa contact. Apparently, those two fields are not linked. I can only assume that the employee was trying to type in "Me" and the phone did an autofill and grabbed the closest thing in the contact list "Melissa". I was able to delete my cell phone number from the contact, but can't make the remaining information disappear (which I'd like to do because I no longer have contact with Melissa). I would assume that somewhere is a place to edit "my info" -- if the phone is sold, for instance, this information would need to be changed.