Contact mergeing

bass_lover1

Reaction score
Why does the contacts app merge people with similar names?

I have two very different friends. Ron, and Ronnie, under my Gmail Contacts, they are two different entries. When they are synced to my Droid, they are merged as one person.

How do I fix this, because it is VERY frustrating. If I delete both from the Droid, and gmail, and re-enter them as two separate entries, it still happens. Shouldn't there be an option to merge contacts?

Ironically, this reminds me of a skit Daniel Tosh did, with google and the letter A, you should youtube it.

Doctor

Reaction score
Have you tried to give them last names?

I have several contacts named "Chris", but they all have different last names. Just a suggestion....

serialtoon

Reaction score

I have several contacts named "Chris", but they all have different last names. Just a suggestion....
That's not the issue. I also had this problem. What I did was backup all my contacts to a csv file thru Gmail.com. then I deleted all my contacts, let them sync so it deletes them off the Droid. Then I restored my contacts thru gmail again and synced. No more issues. Try that and come back to us with results. Good luck!

OP
bass_lover1

bass_lover1

Reaction score

That's not the issue. I also had this problem. What I did was backup all my contacts to a csv file thru Gmail.com. then I deleted all my contacts, let them sync so it deletes them off the Droid. Then I restored my contacts thru gmail again and synced. No more issues. Try that and come back to us with results. Good luck!

Tried what you suggested, and it still doesn't work.

So far the only thing I can do to "fix" it, is to delete the contact and re-enter it with a last name. Gmail contacts has no issues keeping them separate, why on Earth does the Droid decide it's better to merge two contacts with similar names.

This needs to be fixed, or at least give an option to merge them if you really wanted to do that.

ripstar

Reaction score
This is just plain stupid. I can't have an Al and an Alex? The more I have this phone the less I like it. How do you even let these type of things happen? Did they even use the phone before they released it?