My impressions so far of the Droid 4 leaked Android 4.0.4 ICS build (6.16.206)

orangechoochoo

Reaction score
It wasn't working for me.

EDIT: nevermind, the option to use HDMI under the display setting was not checked. Once you check it I can mirror the screen on an HDTV.

Last edited:

jsnweitzel

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Hey guys,

You might be surprised to hear that I only installed this yesterday. I been traveling all week and didn't have the time nor wish to risk something acting funny while I had to have the phone. So far it's pretty sweet. Anyways I have a touchpad that I have been running my own CM9 Kang on for several months. One thing I see mentioned here is the "charge only" mode being gone. I am pretty sure that is a Android 4.0 thing as there isn't a charge only mode in CM9. Best to select the "MTP" mode for easy access and it will still charge.

AceDROID

Reaction score
Instead of starting a whole new thread, I figured I would just comment on here about the leak. First off, let me tell you, that having to use RSDLite to revert to stock was a nailbiter, only because the laptop I have I need new thermal paste as it heats up quickly and shuts itself down even with a cooling pad under it. With that being said, I followed the instructions to a T, and soon enough I was on the ICS build. So far, I have to say that I am loving it. Face unlock feature is definitely awesome, not having any pictures of myself so I cannot test the op statement on that. The phone is extremely fast and smooth, with everything working flawlessly, it is pretty amazing. The only things that I see that I have to get used to, is all from being on custom roms. Like my mini info widget doesn't show the exact battery percentage, its the usual 10% increments.

Being rooted I had no issues freezing the bloatware apps. Some of t-hem, like the demos for madden 12 and the golf game, were actually uninstallable. Caller id, the movie streaming app, etc. Were the ones I really went through and froze.

There is a new app (new to me, anyway) called "Color", which is actually very interesting. From what I could tell by the quick look around, it allows you to basically do what we can do on stickam. Stream live video, but directly on facebook, as opposed to those trying to get their facebook friends to click another link. Apparently it gives your friends a notification that allows them to watch from their phones or from facebook itself. Interesting to see how that will turn out.

For me, there has been no data issues what so ever, but I can only imagine that is direct result of this being a leaked build from Motorola. I have not explored the wifi yet, but 4G has been rock solid (I live in a well covered 4G area).

The on screen keyboard felt a little less than par, as it didn't come with the stock swype like the phone did out of the box, so I downloaded and installed the beta, and was actually surprised to see the on screen swype I downloaded (which has been the same since the beginning) now included directional arrows at the top of it. I thought that was kind of cool.

So, take my opinion with a grain of salt, as I haven't really dug down deep into the leak to be nit picky, since I did just install this last night. But, I am not regretting it at all!

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

LoudRam

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Z Flip 3
AceDROID said:
There is a new app (new to me, anyway) called "Color", which is actually very interesting. From what I could tell by the quick look around, it allows you to basically do what we can do on stickam. Stream live video, but directly on facebook, as opposed to those trying to get their facebook friends to click another link. Apparently it gives your friends a notification that allows them to watch from their phones or from facebook itself. Interesting to see how that will turn out.

Thanks for the heads up on Color. I just downloaded it.

Sent from my HTC Rezound infused with ice cream goodness using Droid Forums.

bdsullivan76

Reaction score
I think it is ridiculous that i have to flash the fastboot files just to update. As soon as i updated to .219 i saved an unmodified version of my stock rom. And i am getting sideload errors about "preinstall- mybattery something or other".
Those are preinstall videos that i never even knew were there.
If someone can make a copy of the stock .219 preinstall file and post it i want to try and switch it out b4 going the fastboot route. My computer is an old xp system and i really dont trust it with the task.
Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

AceDROID

Reaction score
Check out Battery Indicator. It is a status bar icon and has a hack that works on the D4 to show 1% increments.

I tried that.. didn't really like it to be honest. It read exactly what mini info did, and the secondary icon in the notification bar didn't do it for me. I'm sure there's a settings for it somewhere, I just couldn't find it and got bored looking haha. Thanks though

orangechoochoo

Reaction score
I think it is ridiculous that i have to flash the fastboot files just to update. As soon as i updated to .219 i saved an unmodified version of my stock rom. And i am getting sideload errors about "preinstall- mybattery something or other".
Those are preinstall videos that i never even knew were there.
If someone can make a copy of the stock .219 preinstall file and post it i want to try and switch it out b4 going the fastboot route. My computer is an old xp system and i really dont trust it with the task.
I think you need to fastboot. I got the same error, but after I fastbooted 219 I didnt get the error and the install went fine.

bdsullivan76

Reaction score
That seems to be true. I was able to reflash the .219 update thinking it would make me stock, it flashed fine but i continued to get the same error???? I dont get what is stopping it. You would think if the system was clean enough to flash one update then the ics update should have passed.
I am going to see if i can get to the heart of the failure and report back. Unfortunately i do not have enough confidence in my computer to do a fastboot restore.....damn my laptop for burning out.

1989trouble07

Reaction score
That seems to be true. I was able to reflash the .219 update thinking it would make me stock, it flashed fine but i continued to get the same error???? I dont get what is stopping it. You would think if the system was clean enough to flash one update then the ics update should have passed.
I am going to see if i can get to the heart of the failure and report back. Unfortunately i do not have enough confidence in my computer to do a fastboot restore.....damn my laptop for burning out.

The update zip only does as it says. It "updates" a few things from the 215 files. If you fastboot 219 it will flash everything, all the preinstall files that you will need to update to ICS

orangechoochoo

Reaction score
Did you have safestrap installed? In the 206 thread it was mentioned that we should go into root explorer and delete a file and rename another. Here it is:

Yes u have to completely remove it cuz its checking the boot.img file in the system an safe strap hijacks the log wrapper an u must delete the logwrapper that says hijack an the rename the logwrapper.bin by deleting just the .bin at the end the files are located at system/bin heres a pic before editing.

View attachment 50376

I'm assuming after the flash safestrap is no longer there. I think it left a few remnants that are causing the flash to ICS to fail.

Last edited:

bdsullivan76

Reaction score
I deleted all remnants of safestrap. My issue is the preinstall file. I need the right one from stock .219.
Again my windows 7 laptop burnt out so i am stuck with a 7 year old xp setup that has a whole 512mb of ram. Needless to say it freezes constantly. I only use it when i have to access certain websites. Its useless and the last thing i need is for it to freeze up in the middle of a fastboot flash. I will continue to try other avenues or just due without.
If some one running stock .219 can get me the preinstall file I would be grateful.

1989trouble07

Reaction score
bdsullivan76 said:
I deleted all remnants of safestrap. My issue is the preinstall file. I need the right one from stock .219.
Again my windows 7 laptop burnt out so i am stuck with a 7 year old xp setup that has a whole 512mb of ram. Needless to say it freezes constantly. I only use it when i have to access certain websites. Its useless and the last thing i need is for it to freeze up in the middle of a fastboot flash. I will continue to try other avenues or just due without.
If some one running stock .219 can get me the preinstall file I would be grateful.

You should be fine if it froze in the middle of fastbooting. I've had mine freeze before, and i have had the usb cord snatched out from the laptop while it was flashing. I just restarted the flashing and all was well.

demarco5

Reaction score
is there instructions anywhere for flashing my droid 4 with this 4.0? im rooted already