My impressions so far of the Droid 4 leaked Android 4.0.4 ICS build (6.16.206)

r314bd

Reaction score
(Installation instructions here)

Pros:

On 2.3.6, there was an issue with screen responsiveness while charging, especially on the lock screen. That issue no longer exists.
Backgrounds to menus/lists are now black by default, rather than white. This is much easier on the eyes and better for battery life.
Ability to use cool new third party launchers like Apex and Nova.
Face Unlock. Very cool, and fast.
Built in screenshot feature (Power + Volume Down). Works great.
Scrolling is much smoother...almost like butter. This is likely due to ICS' hardware acceleration.
Real time voice dictation is awesome and unbelievably accurate.

Cons:
More bloatware. Apps like Caller Name ID, Google+, and Video Calling are now included and uninstallable (without root).
Contacts tab removed from Dialer.
WiFi Tether currently does not work. Some people have gotten the stock hotspot app to work with the SQLite entitlement check hack, but I haven't.
Face Unlock. (Yes, it was listed as a pro too.) The downside is that it is unsecure. A photo of you will unlock it.
Notification bar icons for apps (on the left side of the screen) are small and darkened, which makes them difficult to see.
Built in screenshot feature has shutter sound that cannot be disabled, even in silent mode.
"Charge only" mode while connected to PC via USB has been removed.

Last edited:

1989trouble07

Reaction score
Hmmm, I seem to have no problem with the 3g Icon. I go in and out of 4g all the time.

I do have a problem with recording video. During playback of videos I record, I hear a lot of white noise that is unbearable unless you mute it. Lol

orangechoochoo

Reaction score
I pretty much agree with your assessment. The small app icons on the status bar are annoying. I also miss the contacts tab on the dialer, apparently Google separated the two on ICS.

I changed network mode from global to CDMA/LTE. I don't use the global capabilities so I'm thinking if I do this it won't waste battery keeping up the global functionality, but I could be completely wrong.

Last edited:

LoudRam

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Z Flip 3
SGMD1 said:
Cons:
More bloatware. Apps like Caller Name ID, Google+, and Video Calling are now included and uninstallable (without root).

On the ics leak for the Rezound apps can be disabled. Have you checked to see if you have that option? From what I understand it's a feature of ics. Unless they killed it on your build.

Sent from my HTC Rezound infused with ice cream goodness using Droid Forums.

OP
r314bd

r314bd

Reaction score
Hmmm, I seem to have no problem with the 3g Icon. I go in and out of 4g all the time.
Ahh yes you're right. I guess I just didn't notice it before but I saw the 3G icon today. Removed this from my list
On the ics leak for the Rezound apps can be disabled. Have you checked to see if you have that option? From what I understand it's a feature of ics. Unless they killed it on your build.
Hmm, interesting. Where is this option located on the Rezound?

LoudRam

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Z Flip 3
[QUOTE="SGMD1]
Hmm, interesting. Where is this option located on the Rezound?[/QUOTE]

The disable button on preinstalled apps is where the uninstall button would be on downloaded apps. At least that's where it is on my phone.
Settings--->Apps--->All

Sent from my HTC Rezound infused with ice cream goodness using Droid Forums.

orangechoochoo

Reaction score
Although you can freeze/disable apps with ICS, I still prefer Titanium Backup to freeze apps especially since I can freeze services that I don't need.

Germanguy

Reaction score
Does freezing actually cause battery/cpu use by itself. Does it not have to be an active process to keep an app frozen?

orangechoochoo

Reaction score
No, it doesn't cause battery/cpu use. It prevents the frozen app or service from running, thereby saving battery & cpu use.

podspi

Reaction score
With "Charge Only" mode gone, are you still able to access ADB? Kind of a deal-breaker...

trter10

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
With "Charge Only" mode gone, are you still able to access ADB? Kind of a deal-breaker...
Charge only doesn't affect adb, it only stops you from adb pushing things to the sdcard

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

Germanguy

Reaction score
No, it doesn't cause battery/cpu use. It prevents the frozen app or service from running, thereby saving battery & cpu use.

But preventing an app from running involves an active process and that includes CPU and battery use. Correct me if I am wrong.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

orangechoochoo

Reaction score
Edit post:

I did some reading on this. Android uses a package manager (PM) which keeps a list of apps that are availble to run on the system. What Titanium Backup (TB) does is remove the frozen app from the list. When this is done the PM no longer sees the frozen app so it cannot be run. So as far as the system goes the frozen app is no longer installed but in reality it's still there.

It's like being the coach of a basketball team and you have roster (list)of players to chose from to put on the court. What TB does is it removes a player from the roster, so even though the player is sitting on the bench the coach doesn't know he is there because he is not on the roster so he cannot be put into the game.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=809231

Last edited:

Germanguy

Reaction score
Edit post:

I did some reading on this. Android uses a package manager (PM) which keeps a list of apps that are availble to run on the system. What Titanium Backup (TB) does is remove the frozen app from the list. When this is done the PM no longer sees the frozen app so it cannot be run. So as far as the system goes the frozen app is no longer installed but in reality it's still there.

It's like being the coach of a basketball team and you have roster (list)of players to chose from to put on the court. What TB does is it removes a player from the roster, so even though the player is sitting on the bench the coach doesn't know he is there because he is not on the roster so he cannot be put into the game.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=809231

That clears it up. Thank you.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

bdsullivan76

Reaction score
can anyone confirm that web top works now with a HDMI plug like the video for moto ics shows. if so I will pull the plug. I keep debating on whether to upgrade or not. really just waiting on an ics safe strap and confirmed root exploit.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk