My gripes with the Nexus so far

captdroid

Reaction score
g/f dropped hers once she admitted... the phone landing screen down a hardwood floor. She has the silicon case and screen protector though. No visible damage still works :)

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Haven't paid much attention to vibrate, but not seeing any of these other reported issues.

I get the battery life question. But with it SOOOOO easy to root I don't understand why people don't do it. Get rid of bloat and underclocking really does amazing things for battery life (30-50% improvement, my guess).

pool_shark

Reaction score
I use cases because I have no desire to carry something as bulky as a cellphone in my pocket.

I charge my phones all the time so battey life is not an issue.

The camera is not as good as the one on the droid x, but camerazoom fs makes it better, and I'm getting better at taking pocs with the default app.

The speaker volume is fine with me as is the vibration.

My only problems are, voice dialing over BT is horrible and has no prompt for verification, and javascript is not working well in the browser.

big al

Reaction score
I actually like the more subdued vibration level.
I am actually using the haptic feedback when typing for the first time cuz I dont feel like I'm getting shocked every time I hit a letter like i did on the stronger vibrates.

mdroid28

Reaction score
The battery life is two fold. On one hand, UV kernels seriously help idle battery life. On the other hand, the HD sAMOLED screen rapes battery anytime you're actually, you know, using your phone. That's a price to pay for the screen.

The volume issue is completely resolved with Equalizer by SA labs and its free.

My only gripe is the data connection. I'm sorry, but there is no excise for such terrible connectivity. I know they say it just reads the signal better but I don't have any connectivity where my Bionic was pulling 25mbps. The new radios don't help either. And the amount of time it takes to go from 4g to 3g or back is laughable. My only solace is knowing that we have the direct support of Google. They treat the nexus line as their children, so it will be fixed unless Samsung screwed them on manufacturing. I doubt that though because connectivity was fine before the forced 4.0.2 ota.

Running unlocked, rooted, GummyNex 0.3.0, leaked radios

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Also have to remember mdroid28 that the Bionic had severe connectivity issues at release and is running on GB, which is a matured OS.

I don't have data issues, but I imagine those who do won't see improvement until the actual Network is improved, or the authentication errors are corrected. Since some of us have no issues, it's hard for me to believe it's a software issue, as we should all be experiencing connectivity/data issues if it was.

Yesterday I went to the barber and saw the best 4G signal I've seen yet, -74dBm, then I drove to another part of town that didn't have 4g and instantly switched to 3g, I just don't seem to have the issues that others are mentioning.

Hopefully it's resolved for those who do have issues, I hate to see people being burdened by an issue that I don't have, makes me feel a little guilty to be honest. I'm also scared to replace my phone in case a problem arises, don't want to be stuck with the issues either.

thehogsters

Reaction score
If you have a problem with the volume (so did I) just get the volume plus app. I use the free one and its volume is three times louder. You can't get a good pic? Most my pics look like i took them with my panasonic luminex. Although you need a very steedy hand since bluring is very comin with this camera. I will say that is a bit of a downer and low light shots are sub par. Build quality seems just fine to me.

mdroid28

Reaction score
Also have to remember mdroid28 that the Bionic had severe connectivity issues at release and is running on GB, which is a matured OS.

I don't have data issues, but I imagine those who do won't see improvement until the actual Network is improved, or the authentication errors are corrected. Since some of us have no issues, it's hard for me to believe it's a software issue, as we should all be experiencing connectivity/data issues if it was.

Yesterday I went to the barber and saw the best 4G signal I've seen yet, -74dBm, then I drove to another part of town that didn't have 4g and instantly switched to 3g, I just don't seem to have the issues that others are mentioning.

Hopefully it's resolved for those who do have issues, I hate to see people being burdened by an issue that I don't have, makes me feel a little guilty to be honest. I'm also scared to replace my phone in case a problem arises, don't want to be stuck with the issues either.

I have to personally disagree with you here. I got both the Bionic and the Nexus the day they came out. The Bionic in terms of data was perfect the entire time I owned it. It never dropped 4g except one time the 4g network actually crashed, and then it was still able to access 3g. I have gotten faster 4g speeds on the Nexus when it's actually working, but it seems to connect or disconnect at a whim. The Wi-Fi connectivity is terrific though.

I do think it's software because it worked absolutely fine before I did the 4.0.2 OTA. Maybe that was just luck, but who knows. You're extremely lucky to not have this problem because it seems almost everybody else does. It seems hard to believe that such a massive quantity could have defective hardware, but I suppose anything is possible.

Another possibility is something is actually amiss with Verizon's network, my sister's Razr is having trouble lately, although not as bad as the Nexus. The tech support guy I spoke with on the phone last night sounded like they were really having trouble lately. He said they were "paying the price for being pioneers." He was really cool about it though and refunded my data plan for the month.

jerroedr

Reaction score
What is the exact connectivity issue?
edit: really want a nexus, but want it to work

mdroid28

Reaction score
What is the exact connectivity issue?
edit: really want a nexus, but want it to work

As of right now, many GNex users are experiencing terrible connection to mobile data networks. The signal is sitting between -120 and -100db usually, which should generally be <-90. Places where other phones are blazing through 4g, the Nexus won't connect, or it will only be in 3g. Then, when 4g drops, it takes ages for 3g to kick in, if it ever does. Sometimes you have to toggle airplane mode, or reboot to get reconnected, and that's far from a guarantee.

It's hard to know how much to attribute to the GNex hardware, how much to ICS, how much to flashable radios, and how much to Verizon's actualy 4g problems they are having. Most of us are hoping Google and Samsung can fix this with updates, but that's no guarantee. And then some of us like Liderc above are fortunate enough to have theirs working fine. It's pretty puzzling from a troubleshooting standpoint right now.

jerroedr

Reaction score
As of right now, many GNex users are experiencing terrible connection to mobile data networks. The signal is sitting between -120 and -100db usually, which should generally be <-90. Places where other phones are blazing through 4g, the Nexus won't connect, or it will only be in 3g. Then, when 4g drops, it takes ages for 3g to kick in, if it ever does. Sometimes you have to toggle airplane mode, or reboot to get reconnected, and that's far from a guarantee.

It's hard to know how much to attribute to the GNex hardware, how much to ICS, how much to flashable radios, and how much to Verizon's actualy 4g problems they are having. Most of us are hoping Google and Samsung can fix this with updates, but that's no guarantee. And then some of us like Liderc above are fortunate enough to have theirs working fine. It's pretty puzzling from a troubleshooting standpoint right now.

Well that stinks... What do you think the ratio of problem to no problem is? What are you getting for up and down speeds using that speednet or whatever test? I feel like i have similar problems on the d1 with GB...connectivity i mean. Wasnt there a release to just make the bars different or something that was supposed to come out? Im so far behind on this thing because of school then the holidays...trying to catch up stinks

mdroid28

Reaction score
Well that stinks... What do you think the ratio of problem to no problem is? What are you getting for up and down speeds using that speednet or whatever test? I feel like i have similar problems on the d1 with GB...connectivity i mean. Wasnt there a release to just make the bars different or something that was supposed to come out? Im so far behind on this thing because of school then the holidays...trying to catch up stinks

Ok, I'm nowhere near smart enough to guess at what the ratio is. That's for the engineers and stuff, but it's my opinion, and hope, that it can be fixed with software. I find it hard to believe that Google would've allowed a device as important as this to be built poorly. I mean this is their signature line, which is supposed to be the standard for Android.

As far as SpeedTest, I am getting very good results compared to my other phones, but again this is WHEN THE 4G IS WORKING

My average on 4G is about 25down/15up. For my area, that is very good. And this device blazes through Wi-Fi faster than any other device on my home network.

Verizon was planning an update that would make the phone show more bars for the same signal. So for example, 100db would go from showing 1 bar to 3 bars, or something like that. Pretty pointless, but for the less educated users, it would comfort them to see more bars, even if it didn't change anything. I don't think that is their final solution, but it was kind of a bandaid to quit people's *****ing.

Goonit

Reaction score
Not sure how you guys aren't getting great battery life out of your nexus. I leave lte on all day and it lasts through that. I hope the size of the nexus doesn't bother you because if it does the RAZR us going to bother you more. It's actually bigger than the nexus because of the god awful bezel it has.

I came from an og DROID like most people did and the only beef I have is with the speaker not being quite loud enough. Other than that I have absolutely zero complaints. Just my 2 cents.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

jerroedr

Reaction score
ok, at least your 4g speeds were up... while working. That is a redonculous solution to a real problem