My house charger is sucking power out of my phone?

Pooky

Reaction score
I have never been on a forum before. But I tried to look up my problem and found nothing, so I was hoping someone could help.

I have an HTC Desire HD. I have to charge it every night, kind of annoying but I got used to it. The house charger that came with my phone worked for about 5 or 6 months. Then when I would plug my phone in, I would lose power. I would plug it in at about 40%, in the morning it would be 7%. Nothing running on the phone. I have the phone set up for minimum battery usage. So my mom gave me her Ipod charger that had the usb plug in it. That one worked fine. Used it for 2 months, then I bought a new one because that one was ugly ( there was nothing wrong with it). The new one worked for a week, then started to drain the power from my phone, so I stopped using it. Now I have to take that back. I plugged my bf's blackberry into the ugly one that should still have been working, and his phone was stone dead this morning. The charge he had on his phone should have lasted about 2 more days. I have tried different plugs and different houses. The problem is not in my cord, because I can charge it on the computer.

So is my phone wrecking the chargers? Do I just have really bad luck and 3 different chargers bought at 3 different stores, at different times were just faulty?

Has anyone heard of this problem? Is it the make of phone having this problem, or just my phone?

I'm going to get the phone replaced, but I'm 6 hours away from the store with a full time job, so I have to deal with it for a bit yet.

Please help.

Thank you.

rck76

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forums:)I never had those issues on the D1 or current bionic, I don't know much about your phone so maybe someone else here can help. Have you ever tried to do a factory reset?

sent from my liberated bionic running transparent Droid forums

OP
P

Pooky

Reaction score
Thank you.

I tried the reset after my first charger messed up.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I was going to recommend you try a different outlet, but you even tried a different house. You even did factory reset. Here's one thing I would try...buy a spare battery and see if that works. Maybe you got a bad battery?

Your problem is very strange and something I've never heard of. You live in a haunted house? Ghosts have been known to suck the power out of electronics.

Sorry I can't help, hopefully someone else can.

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+
Welcome to DF!! Sorry to hear you are having issues!

And I do not know about ghosts (that was pretty funny dezy) but it seems to me the common denominator is the battery. the only other thing I could think of is are you sure that it is not the charging port? Have you noticed it disconnects if it gets moved or anything like that? Just a random thought I had...

OP
P

Pooky

Reaction score
Well, thank you for your time.

It is a strange problem.

OP
P

Pooky

Reaction score
The phone and everything does have a pretty good connection. But would the battery be able to wreck the charger?

I do treat my stuff pretty good, not rough with it. Just out of nowhere it starts to drain. Even on the blackberry.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
The phone and everything does have a pretty good connection. But would the battery be able to wreck the charger?

I do treat my stuff pretty good, not rough with it. Just out of nowhere it starts to drain. Even on the blackberry.

I hear of devices being overloaded, but your problem doesn't seem to be suffering from this, especially if you've been through 2 chargers already?

I'm not sure if the Desire turns on automatically when plugged in, but shut down your device and then plug the charger in. Let it charge up for a bit and then turn it on, see if it actually charged or even holds a charge. You're using the same cord for charging it on your PC so it doesn't seem to be the charge port either, or even battery....

I'm at a loss as to how to explain this or eliminate a possible problem...this is very perplexing...

edit: I think I have an idea. Check the contacts (the little gold rectangles) on the battery and on the inside of the battery compartment. Use a q-tip and a tiny bit of rubbing alcohol and clean them very gently. Cotton balls help alot too. This is seriously the last possible solution I can think of to your problem, i am truly stumped.

Last edited:
OP
P

Pooky

Reaction score
Thanks, I'll try turning it off and charging it to see what happens. I never would have thought of that.

I will post as soon as I test that. But in the mean time, any more ideas?

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Thanks, I'll try turning it off and charging it to see what happens. I never would have thought of that.

I will post as soon as I test that. But in the mean time, any more ideas?

2 ideas: first is to clean the contacts as has already been suggested, but do it with a pencil eraser. The second is that you may have a bad battery.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
2 ideas: first is to clean the contacts as has already been suggested, but do it with a pencil eraser. The second is that you may have a bad battery.

Pencil eraser? Never thought of that one, then again that's how shoeheads clean their shoes...

SupraRZ95

Reaction score
Erasers are good for more than their intended purpose. :p

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

bassmankc

Reaction score
I would try a different micro usb cable, the oem htc cables are horrible, we have had both of ours die within 3 months of getting the phones?

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I would try a different micro usb cable, the oem htc cables are horrible, we have had both of ours die within 3 months of getting the phones?

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

my Inc charger + usb cable has been working since day 1.