My Droid X Horror Story (don't pull the "pull" tab)

Preach2k

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hometown Brooklyn, NY Now Fuquay Varina, NC
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel XL/Galaxy Note 8
Twitter
DroidNCState
My comment is I don't know why this guy did not do homework on the phone before he got it in the mail. All the Youtube unboxing videos out there would of saved him from ripping out the tab. I am sorry but it just boggles the mind. If you are going to make a $200 investment. Look up every video and info about the phone before you destroy it...

Humpa

Reaction score
So any of you that think the rest of us are less-than-intelligent for initial attempts to pull out the pull thing, tell me what words you would have used?
Would any of you put "do not cut" instead of "do not remove" on there? If so, then you too are less-than-intelligent. :D

Rather than fix the population of phone users, perhaps whoever decided on that wording should be fixed. ;)

Robo-dRoid

Reaction score
Is this is serious thread please tell me im getting punked *waits for aston to pop out*

Red Tornado

Reaction score
OK - so I was opening my new droid x and saw the "pull tab". So I immediately put it down and called *611. The rep put me on hold for 5+ minutes, consulted her tech team and I was TOLD to take it out. After I saw this thread - I called them back and they immediately sent me a new X which I now have.

Strange.

Humpa

Reaction score
Is this is serious thread please tell me im getting punked *waits for aston to pop out*
As soon as I saw that battery pull tab (well, as soon as I realized it was a battery pull tab), I knew it was going to be an issue. Didn't you? I'm intelligent and extremely tech/mechanical/electrical savvy - and even I was thrown for a minute (granted, I was a little excited).

It does not look like a battery pull tab that I'm used to - I've had every gadget since the 60's. But I imagine a huge percentage of people aren't even familiar with battery pull tabs in the first place. It looks like a cheap piece of plastic that doesn't belong in your $500 device. Plus it says "Pull" right on it. It does not say "do not remove" or anything like that. It does say not to cut it, which would imply that it should be removed/pulled in one piece as opposed to cutting.

Where has my logic gone awry? ;)

EDIT: the only argument you could have is to say "its a battery pull tab idiot, don't remove it!". And though you'd be right, it isn't much of an argument. :D

Last edited:

WishIKnew

Reaction score
Ditto, I pulled the tab and completely removed the plastic that was meant to help with battery removal. ( didn't have any problems with the battery, though, and eventually removed it and replaced the sticky thing. The X has been working fine so far (with a couple of glitchy screen blackouts when replying to emails -- don't know what that's about).

In case it helps, the way I removed the battery was by wedging a credit card in near the spot of the original pull tab, prying up the battery as much as I could, then gently using a small knife to get it out the rest of the way.

The use of a sticky tab to help remove the battery seems like poor design and possibly an afterthought once the engineers realized they'd wedged the battery in so tightly. If you end up swapping batteries routinely, chances are good the pull tab itself will eventually be pulled off. Hope the extended-life batteries will avoid the need to swap much.

egrafx

Reaction score
Im sorry, not trying to be mean, but really? No one has ever seen a pull tab for a battery? Everything uses them... Remote controls, alarm clocks, cordless phones, PDA's,... Have you guys never owned any of these things?

Id chalk it up to lack of attention due to extreme excitement lol.

Yes, really. And yes, I had a hard-on the whole time.

egrafx

Reaction score
My comment is I don't know why this guy did not do homework on the phone before he got it in the mail. All the Youtube unboxing videos out there would of saved him from ripping out the tab. I am sorry but it just boggles the mind. If you are going to make a $200 investment. Look up every video and info about the phone before you destroy it...

Like I have time to sit around watching YouTube to learn how to take a phone out of box. It should be obvious, but it clearly was not, otherwise this thread would not exist. My phone was $99 from Verizon. Sorry if you paid $200 and sorry you are easily boggled.

orangepeel

Reaction score

Like I have time to sit around watching YouTube to learn how to take a phone out of box. It should be obvious, but it clearly was not, otherwise this thread would not exist. My phone was $99 from Verizon. Sorry if you paid $200 and sorry you are easily boggled.

I know what you mean. Only a dorky kid with ZERO life would sit around and watch unboxing videos of a phone....now you know who they are.

NERDS!!!!

Preach2k

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Twitter
DroidNCState

I know what you mean. Only a dorky kid with ZERO life would sit around and watch unboxing videos of a phone....now you know who they are.

NERDS!!!!

The only reason I looked at Youtube about this Phone is so I wouldn't make the same Mistake I made with the Stupid Blackberry Storm. And no I did not pay $200 I paid $99.00 Plus Tax and I get Wifi for free because I work for the State. If I would of watched and got information about the Blackberry Storm before it came out I would not of bought it. So I did not want to make the mistake again with this phone. And no I do not watch unboxing videos all day I only seen 1. All I can say is I did not pull my tab out. If you take the time and read the instructions, the guy would have his phone now instead of waiting for another one to come. If that makes me a Nerd because I want to learn and read about something before making a 2 year investment in then I guess I am Nerd. If you went through what I went through with the Storm You would probably do the same thing.

Last edited:

Preach2k

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Twitter
DroidNCState
backpeddling cause I got owned
seriously you attmept to flame then tuck your tale...passive aggressive much?

Owned How old are you? Children!!! I have my phone while he has to wait for another!!! Anyone with Common sense after trying to pull on the tape and it is not moving would look at the directions to see if it comes out or not.

Last edited:

Immolate

Reaction score
If one idiot breaks your phone then he's an idiot. If a thousand idiots break your phone then you're an idiot. Moral: there is intelligence in numbers. If you do something that makes you facepalm, get your friends to do it too and you'll feel smarter about it.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk