My Droid started feeling warmer

DessoThumbs

Reaction score
Yesterday when I was using my Droid for just a few minutes (checking email, web browsing - nothing too taxing), it began to feel pretty warm to the touch (back side of the Droid). It's doing the same this morning and it locked up on me once forcing a reboot.

Are these items to be concerned about? I've had it for about three weeks now. I ordered it online from verizon.com If it comes to it (and I really hope it doesn't) how long is the return/exhange policy good for? Can I copy the internal settings to my PC so I won't have to go through all my preferences again?

As always,
TIA

Last edited:

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Anything else running? Have you loaded anything recently? I suggest ruling out software issues before assuming it's the device (though that's certainly a possibility).

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
You can get an app called battery life that will give you the temperature of your battery. I'm seeing now that the safe limit is around 115 degrees to 120. If it gets that warm I would shut it down.

That should only happen if something is running. I'm using overclocked so it happened to me last night first time. Pretty scary to feel your Droid that warm.

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
You can get an app called battery life that will give you the temperature of your battery. I'm seeing now that the safe limit is around 115 degrees to 120. If it gets that warm I would shut it down.

That should only happen if something is running. I'm using overclocked so it happened to me last night first time. Pretty scary to feel your Droid that warm.

Hook what OC speed are you running? What were you doing? I've yet to have the device get (to the hands) any hotter than normal and never to the point it shuts off.

OP I'm assuming your Stock (i.e. not OC yet). This is NOT normal behavior for a stock device. It can get warm (if you use it naked) but not that much. Check you apps as said above. If it continues do a factory reset and if it continues after that than contact VZW they should overnight a new device (FedEx) for no charge and they will include a return box for your old phone (so technically no downtime).

justbob

Reaction score
I had mine heat up on me once for no good reason I could see. It turned out to be a badly behaved app that wouldn't die. The problem was solved when I uninstalled it.

OP
DessoThumbs

DessoThumbs

Reaction score
By factory reset, I guess that's just a battery pull followed by waiting a few seconds, reinsert and then boot up??

Thanks... my battery widget is reporting 86 deg with nothing running at the moment.