i feel like my droid is... slowing down

mjwassmer

Reaction score
Anyone get this feeling lately? I've done everything I was supposed to. I've taken appropriate steps to speed the thing up. But the redraw issue is getting ridiculous, it lags when it shouldn't, and it just does quirky things all the time.

My upgrade is on October 16. Where do I go from here?

I will always love my Droid. Goodnight, sweet prince...............

Darkseider

Reaction score
Anyone get this feeling lately? I've done everything I was supposed to. I've taken appropriate steps to speed the thing up. But the redraw issue is getting ridiculous, it lags when it shouldn't, and it just does quirky things all the time.

My upgrade is on October 16. Where do I go from here?

I will always love my Droid. Goodnight, sweet prince...............

Now I am going to sound like a broken record. Root the phone and that's it. NO custom ROM or kernel. Then install a terminal emulator and wipe out the Dalvik cache. Then reboot the phone. The other thing to do is a hack so the UI stays persistent. Unfortunately both of these require root. It's up to you.

OP
M

mjwassmer

Reaction score
easy root wont work anymore for me. is there another one click way to root the phone?

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
easy root wont work anymore for me. is there another one click way to root the phone?

Not if you're on FRG22D, no.

Try a factory data reset, that will speed it up. Also if you are running any task killers or virus protection get rid of it.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hey, I still have my D1 running FRG22D Stock and that puppy works great. Did you try a factory data reset?

metsnfins

Reaction score
my droid is super slow now too

sometimes it takes 40 seconds for the apps to show up when i open the drawer

no i havent tried a factory reset since i got 2.2. guess i have to

Reaction score
I've managed to get decent speed back from my droid after Froyo but It requires some tweaking and changes in what software I use.

If you use any Task Killer get rid of it. They are of questionable value on 2.1 or older but on 2.2 they cause serious battery and performance problems. 2.2 appears to have made major memory management changes and current task managers do not work with it. They may get updates and fix that but for now stop using them.

Root your phone. You must root in order to do the next two items. The last one will give you the best performance.

Install SetCPU. Running this improved by speed and helped battery life. I set it for 800/250 and it helped a lot.

Do the local.prop setting described here: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/te...208-droid-1-sucks-after-froyo.html#post815198

That tweak stopped my redraw and slowness problems. I was getting redraws at least 10-15 times a day. Often they would last 10-20 seconds. I was about to flash my phone back to 2.1 when I found this. Now I get a redraw maybe once every other day and then only after I do some major work on the phone. Use the camera or a heavy web surfing session. Even then the redraw is only a 5 second delay at most. Usually much faster.

billyk

Reaction score
Don't want to root, so I am out on some of these suggestions.

Since 2.2, my Droid does not respond as well to swiping to move between home screens. It'll get there, but I have to swipe slowly for it to catch on. Also, sometimes my Droid randomly just gets too busy to respond to me. It'll take 3 - 5 seconds for it to respond to opening an app or making a selection.

I have no virus protection, no task-killers and I have the exact same apps and usage patterns as when I had 2.1 - nothing new - just some laggy response from 2.2. I was hoping that 2.2 would be an improvement in these areas.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
Did you do a manual install or get the OTA push? Because lag like that can usually be cured by installing the master OTA file manually. When I say master I mean larger -- like 77MB larger.