My Dinc turned into a brick today....

posttal

Reaction score
Not a good day..I made a call on my Incredible and a minute later went to make another but the touch pad seemed to be dead and touching a contact did nothing..then touching anything..back,home or any of the icons did nothing.I couldn't even turn it off with the power button..everthing was locked.I pulled the battery..reboted..but it went to a black screen and locked again..pulled the battery again and this time the main menu appeared but it was unresponsive to the touch.I held the power button and it said powering off..and kept saying it for the 20 minutes it took to drive to the verizon shop.They had no clue and did a master reset..wiping all my contacts,files,games..everything.And still nothing.And to top it off they had no Incredible in stock to replace it with.I tried to get them to give me the new Motorola droid but they said no..although they said if I have a continued problem with the HTC they would then replace it with a phone of my choice under there No Lemon guarantee.I'm suppose to get another Dinc shipped here overnight by tomorrow..we'll see.
I also mentioned to them that since the 2.2 update my phone has been acting strange..ring tones changing on there own..alarms changing from tones to vibrate..facebook contacts showing up on there own in my phone list..little quirky things..and they said there were issues with the 2.2 update and these complaints were common and an update to the froyo 2.2 was in the works.

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
So no phone for the night....sad answer VZW

OP
posttal

posttal

Reaction score
I left Verizon years ago and went to Alltel because of their customer service..not there phone service.And now I'm stuck with their poor customer service once again.

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
Alltel, well that explains a little bit more, hopefully your Dinc gets here tomorrow and it is working like it should

alitke

Reaction score
Well legally they cannot give you a new phone in the store many times. Its a checks and balance type situation. Think about it. Lets say you have a buddy that works there and you want to upgrade to a new phone after you ruined yours. Your buddy gives you the new phone then does a wipe of your phone or "damages" it a bit and says well total warranty work.

I actually do Audits for the governmental entities and this is practically a safety percussion taken out of one our manuals. You cannot give any employees the power to give out merchandise as it will lead to way to many problems. Does it suck, absolutely.

Hopefully you get your replacement asap though. Sorry to hear you had a bad experience with Verizon btw. They have always been good to me. I personally cannot stand Alltel. Was with them for over 8 years and hated every minute. Had the worst phones and the worst prices on phones. Verizon right now is actually paying $20.00 of my bill every month for 2 years b/c they screwed up 2 things on my account. They fixed both problems then offered to give me $20 off each bill to be extra nice. Was and still is awesome.

Last edited:
OP
posttal

posttal

Reaction score
Verizon has done a bit to make me happy..they did give me the 5 friends and family for free to make up for the 100 extra minutes that alltel gave me for free.As far as phones go alltel and verizon had pretty much the same...at least in the higher end phones that I liked.Its a Ford and Chevy thing..everyone has their favorite and defends it to the end.But hey its all a mute point since alltel is gone anyway.I am disappointed in the dinc having only been 3 months old.I'm debating about adding the wife to my plan..shes still is on her old Alltel plan...then getting her the new droid 2 and keeping it for myself and giving her the dinc.I'm not sure yet.I've got to do a little more research on the Droid 2..it is Motorola and I do like Motorola.But until now I had no complaints with the Dinc.again its a ford vs Chevy thing.

alitke

Reaction score
Verizon has done a bit to make me happy..they did give me the 5 friends and family for free to make up for the 100 extra minutes that alltel gave me for free.As far as phones go alltel and verizon had pretty much the same...at least in the higher end phones that I liked.Its a Ford and Chevy thing..everyone has their favorite and defends it to the end.But hey its all a mute point since alltel is gone anyway.I am disappointed in the dinc having only been 3 months old.I'm debating about adding the wife to my plan..shes still is on her old Alltel plan...then getting her the new droid 2 and keeping it for myself and giving her the dinc.I'm not sure yet.I've got to do a little more research on the Droid 2..it is Motorola and I do like Motorola.But until now I had no complaints with the Dinc.again its a ford vs Chevy thing.

say what? Alltel only has a couple of blackberry's which i do not consider highend at all and they have a single android phone which again is not highend. My mother and sister are still both on Alltel and both cannot wait to hop ship and get on my dad's verizon work plan.

I mean they "were" a great company but they have a terrible phone line up as they banked hard on blackberry and lost. They do have some good practices though but thats about it. AT&T bought the Alltel faction where I grew up in Ohio which really sucks and hence the reason for the rest of my family going to Verizon. All opinions though.

OP
posttal

posttal

Reaction score
STILL on ALLTEL...alltel is defunct.You mean they still have the old alltel contracts like my wife has..and only certain phones can be purchased on those plans because they want you to upgrade...the new high phones like the Droids are only on Verizon plans.Thats makes perfect sense since alltel is gone.They could have just dropped all the alltel plans and MAKE you upgrade..or go else where..what would your choice be..since there is no Alltel customer support to call and complain too.But back a year or so ago when both companies were active their phones were pretty much the same.Either way it doesn't matter since eventually all the alltel subscribers will be phased out as phones go more high tech.Unless your old and just want a basic old phone.But all the new technology will require a verizon plan.

steste1122

Reaction score
From my experience I wouldn't bother with the Droid 2. I just switched to the dinc after experiencing slow performance, battery not charging on the mobile charger, and after 2.2 update camera won't take pics, music won't play, and all sorts of other crazy junk.

alitke

Reaction score
STILL on ALLTEL...alltel is defunct.You mean they still have the old alltel contracts like my wife has..and only certain phones can be purchased on those plans because they want you to upgrade...the new high phones like the Droids are only on Verizon plans.Thats makes perfect sense since alltel is gone.They could have just dropped all the alltel plans and MAKE you upgrade..or go else where..what would your choice be..since there is no Alltel customer support to call and complain too.But back a year or so ago when both companies were active their phones were pretty much the same.Either way it doesn't matter since eventually all the alltel subscribers will be phased out as phones go more high tech.Unless your old and just want a basic old phone.But all the new technology will require a verizon plan.

Alltel in some areas is still alltel. Here in north east Ohio only alltel and Verizon are available.. my mother in law actually just renewed her contact with them 2 months ago. Depending on the area alltel is still running. We still have alltel kiosks and everything here.

OP
posttal

posttal

Reaction score
UPDATE..I took the SD card out when i got home and the phone actually fired up..it has no 3G but will connect to my wifi ..and the actual phone works.when i put back in the sd card it wont even boot up.I plugged the card into my PC and ran a virus check and it came up clean.BUT..when i tried to drag the contents to my flash drive to keep as a back up my PC locked.I deleted the SD card and reformated it.Its in the phone now and I took a few pics and it stored to the card and it seems ok.So I'm at a loss as to what happened.But the 3G is definitely dead..I called tech support and we tried to get it going but couldn't.I dont really know why i tried since a new one is coming..guess I'm curious

Didnt know about Alltel still being around...stuck here in Cleveland.

mauiblue

Reaction score
I've had Verizon Wireless (since the days of GTE) for about 20 years now. Never a problem. Always had top notch wireless/customer service. The HTC Incredible is my first smartphone. Bought a Blackberry last Christmas but returned it before I started the service. I'm glad I waited. Sure the Incredible has it's quirks but I'm willing to stick with it just as long Verizon makes good on any issues I have with it.

To the OP, good luck and hopefully all will be resolved soon.

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
I would have tried too, especially if I had a new phone coming, what can you hurt at this point, Good Luck and hopefully it works out

Reaction score
Nice to hear it fired up. Did you download any apps from places other than the Marketplace? Perhaps they were corrupted. If you're still not getting 3G try a *228 sometimes if I get off tower or switch time zones my Incredible will freak out and a battery pulls and a call to *228 usually fixes it.

OP
posttal

posttal

Reaction score
Well..no phone today.I called customer service and get this...they say yes it was sent out overnight but thats means overnight once they send it out to the post office.And even though I was told yesterday it was being sent out,there pick up wasn't until this morning...sounds pretty low if you ask me.And when i asked about a loaner they pretty much laughed..and that was my mistake because i was use to Alltel,and they did give out loaner phones.
Also,while talking to the "girl" in customer support she mentioned that yes you have to have a documented history of having your phone serviced at least 4 times before you can switch make and/or models.And after I questioned that logic she said imaging if ALL the people calling with 2.2 updated issues demanded new or other phones..we would loose a lot of money...this is twice I'v heard mention of 2.2 update problems.My sons girlfreind bought her moto droid 2 over the weekend and it was taken back today due to the screen flickering on and off..and was told it was a 2.2 issue with the screen resolution ??
Anyway...that was my day...how was yours ?