My 3g sucks

cccmhhh

Reaction score
I just did a 3g race with an ipad and my phone got smoked. Both had four bars and the pad was on Att. Is there anything I can do to make it faster?

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
you could try calling *228 and programming it although i don't know for sure if that will help. how bad was it? have you tried to use the speedtest.net app to see what your actual speeds are?

turdbogls

Reaction score
There isn't anything you can do. Att's 3g network is faster than verizons.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums

this man speaks the truth

plus, this isn't even a fair comparrison.
maybe if you had 2 of the same phones on the same network.
but you are comparing 2 completely different devices, running 2 different browsers, getting data from 2 different networks.

OP
C

cccmhhh

Reaction score
I wonder if verizon is slowing their 3g down to get everyone on the 4g. It might be bs but my phone with the up to date software and roaming seems to be getting slower.

kptphalkon

Reaction score
My 3g speeds have gotten progressively slower since I got my phone in december. Started off at an average 1 Mbps, and month after month in the same room in my house, testing the same server and with similar signal strength my speeds have definitely dropped. *228 option 2, the prl update, does nothing lol...unless you roam constantly. It specifically updates the list of towers your phone has on file to connect to, if you stay in the same county often, heck even the same 25 mile radius, it's not really going to help.

I could almost attribute the speed drop to the introduction of the iPhone to Verizon. The timeline matches, the sales are there. 2 and 2 apparently equal negative 4 :(:(:(

Reaction score
I wonder if verizon is slowing their 3g down to get everyone on the 4g. It might be bs but my phone with the up to date software and roaming seems to be getting slower.

I'm doubtful. The competition is already considerably faster than verizon's 3g, why would verizon make the gap even bigger? Besides, it's supposedly already reached its theoretical max speed so there's no room for improvement, which is why verizon is implementing their lte network which is the fastest wireless network in the u.s. at the moment.

As for your connection getting slower, that should pass. Or maybe a lot of people are signing up with verizon in your area in which case it won't pass until verizon sets up a new base station.

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score
VZW's 3G is not much faster than AT&T's Edge. We may have better coverage and less dropped calls, but the performance of VZW 3G is awful.

Reaction score
VZW's 3G is not much faster than AT&T's Edge. We may have better coverage and less dropped calls, but the performance of VZW 3G is awful.

Id pick coverage over speed any day. So long as the speed wasn't too bad, which in this case its not its perfectly fine.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
My 3G at work is virtually non existent...4G will play a huge factor in my next purchase

CD95YJ

Reaction score
My friend and I ran the same test using speedtest.net.
His AT&T iphone was sitting at about 2.5 down and about 1.4 up where my rooted, overclocked X hits maybe 1.4 down and .9 up. Our 3g is slower.

quiet1

Reaction score
CD95YJ Do u know what Server u guys were on? I've realized that after I installed GB and did the *228 (or is it *288? lol) my speeds weren't even hitting 1, it was .70download and .50upload. But every once in a while it'll hop on to server NY and the speeds go up a little bit, just barely passing the 1.0 mark for download.

just did the test for the fun of it and it was on NY server:
Today:04/21/11.............Previous:04/14/11
Download: .70 ..................... .72
Upload: .15 ......................... .52
Ping: 117ms .................. 686ms

Last edited:

CD95YJ

Reaction score
CD95YJ Do u know what Server u guys were on? I've realized that after I installed GB and did the *228 (or is it *288? lol) my speeds weren't even hitting 1, it was .70download and .50upload. But every once in a while it'll hop on to server NY and the speeds go up a little bit, just barely passing the 1.0 mark for download.

We were using the Denver server because we are he in Colorado in the Denver area. We both had 3-4 bars during the test. Funny thing is that I will still load a web page faster, probably due to being overclocked rather than 3g speed.

CD95YJ

Reaction score
Here are some tests I ran from home today, pretty sad really. One is with wifi on, the other is with wifi and GPS off.

CD95YJ

Reaction score
BTW that is running apex 1.4.1 watermarked theme, ocd to 1.15 (most stable for my phone). It could easily be different with different ROMs...