Multimedia Desktop and Car Dock for Thunderbolt

Reaction score
I drive alot and this is a problem for me. I am waiting for the update and hoping it solves it but if not I will have to get the mic you found. This feature worked just fine on my D1 so I am guessing it will be an update and fixed but who knows. Did your prerelease one work in the car or didn't you have to dock to try?

Didn't have one to try, I picked it up on the 17th after I had already returned the Pre-Prod phone.

I think I am going to purchase the mic cable I found to see if that does the trick. It's cheap enough, and besides, I could use it with my skullcandy headphones as a better wired headset for my phone if it works!

OP
guitarchris123
Reaction score
does anyone know where to find the Desktop Charger? it seems to have dropped off the face of the earth :/ Verizon Wireless shows it out of stock online and none of the stores I check have it. is it possible that it's been discontinued already and something better is coming out?

Not discontinued, they haven't even started selling them yet. Its been out of stock on the website the whole time, and I have not heard of any in stores yet nor seen any pictures online from people who have bought one. You'll just have to be a little more patient, it should be coming fairly soon, but I do not know exactly when.

Reaction score
I drive alot and this is a problem for me. I am waiting for the update and hoping it solves it but if not I will have to get the mic you found. This feature worked just fine on my D1 so I am guessing it will be an update and fixed but who knows. Did your prerelease one work in the car or didn't you have to dock to try?

OK folks, I just found out some more information on this.

I called HTC Support (866-449-8358). The first time I called, I told them of the issue with the Car Dock audio, and they transferred me to about 5 different places, no one could help me. :icon_evil:

I hung up frustrated, but decided to word it differently. When the HTC CSR answered, I told him "I have the TBolt and plug it into my Car Stereo using a 3.5mm stereo cable. During a phone call, I can hear the person on the other end, but they cannot hear me."

He said "I don't think the phone was designed to work like that, but let me put you on hold and find out more info." After her picked my call back up (only about 30 seconds), he said:

My manager tells me that the phone's software was designed so that when something is plugged into the jack on the top of the Thunderbolt, it mutes the microphones that are on the phone itself and expects to utilize a wired microphone through the headset jack. He also said that they we have been getting a ton of calls about this issue, and so they may release a 'hotfix' that would resolve the issue, but we aren't certain if that will actually happen.

I thanked him and hung up. Basically:
CALL HTC AND COMPLAIN!! Let's get them to hotfix the issue!

In the meantime, I think I am going to order one of those MIC extension cables just in case the fix doesn't come soon or at all.

Javaknight

Reaction score
does anyone know where to find the Desktop Charger? it seems to have dropped off the face of the earth :/ Verizon Wireless shows it out of stock online and none of the stores I check have it. is it possible that it's been discontinued already and something better is coming out?

Not discontinued, they haven't even started selling them yet. Its been out of stock on the website the whole time, and I have not heard of any in stores yet nor seen any pictures online from people who have bought one. You'll just have to be a little more patient, it should be coming fairly soon, but I do not know exactly when.

gotcha - I assumed that you already had one so I'll just be patient :)

thmorrill

Reaction score

I called HTC Support (866-449-8358). The first time I called, I told them of the issue with the Car Dock audio, and they transferred me to about 5 different places, no one could help me. :icon_evil:

I hung up frustrated, but decided to word it differently. When the HTC CSR answered, I told him "I have the TBolt and plug it into my Car Stereo using a 3.5mm stereo cable. During a phone call, I can hear the person on the other end, but they cannot hear me."

He said "I don't think the phone was designed to work like that, but let me put you on hold and find out more info." After her picked my call back up (only about 30 seconds), he said:

My manager tells me that the phone's software was designed so that when something is plugged into the jack on the top of the Thunderbolt, it mutes the microphones that are on the phone itself and expects to utilize a wired microphone through the headset jack. He also said that they we have been getting a ton of calls about this issue, and so they may release a 'hotfix' that would resolve the issue, but we aren't certain if that will actually happen.

In the meantime, I think I am going to order one of those MIC extension cables just in case the fix doesn't come soon or at all.

Being in CA right now I use BT a lot (actually I prefer it now...) and I have noticed a few things that my D2 R2D2 din't do when used on its own w/BT or with the car dock. When on a call, if I am navigating the directions will come through the ear piece, if an alarm is set or snoozed and I happen to be on a call that alert comes through as well. If for some reason my BT is not connected, incomming calls automatically use the speaker. My R3D2 did none of these things.

roosterbrews

Reaction score

Ordered the mic also thanks for the tip and the info. Now to call HTC

Jumper2501

Reaction score
I
Anyone have a solution for the Car Dock/AUX port issue and making phone calls?

With my Droid X, it somehow was able to make phone calls with the phone in the dock and the headphone jack plugged in to my radio's AUX port. With the Thunderbolt, if I have it plugged in to my radio's AUX port, I can hear the person through my radio, but they cannot hear me. (It's as if the phone is looking for a microphone on the AUX cable and turns off the microphones on the phone.)

The only thing I can think of is to use a bluetooth for phone calls, but that is not really desireable.
i noticed this to i looked at the call screen and it was muted on my end i dunno but seemed to work for me after that.
I don't have a technical answer, but...with my D1, I could do it using the Onstar mic in my truck. With my work BB, no luck. It may have something to do with the jack is my guess...in other words, it could be a hardware issue.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums App

mslal

Reaction score
Anybody losing gps signal having it mounted on dash more than mounted on windshield?

I am. Got the car dock yesterday, finally mounted on windshield today. "searching for GPS" for 30 minutes. Restarted my TB (which I love, coming from D1), and still no GPS.

brentoli

Reaction score
I haven't used a dock before. If I am not interested in the multimedia aspect, would the car dock work for a nightstand dock, or will I run into issues?

shortsxit

Reaction score
I haven't used a dock before. If I am not interested in the multimedia aspect, would the car dock work for a nightstand dock, or will I run into issues?

It won't do any good. The multimedia dock will turn the night clock mode on automatically and charge the phone (and an extra battery). The car mount won't do either of these (although you could turn car mode on manually). Then you'd have to plug in the charger...making even using the car dock pointless.

rbullard

Reaction score
Tired of Waiting

I bought the original Droid and remember getting really frustrated and tired of waiting for them to have inventory of the damned dock in stores. Took months.

And now it's the same thing with the Tbolt. I had/have two docks for my original Droid, one for the office and one for the nightstand, and it was just an awesome way to keep the phone handy at work and home. I don't understand why the manufacturers can't get their stuff together and have the accessories available at launch.

dbrown8579

Reaction score
i see people mentioning different car dock apps...are these available in the market or is it something you have to be rooted for? (I don't know why but I'm hesitating rooting this one, lol)