Multimedia Desktop and Car Dock for Thunderbolt

Reaction score
So, who will be getting the Multimedia Desktop Dock or the Car Dock? It looks like they will cost around $60 and $30, respectively. They actually look pretty nice! The desktop dock triggers the multimedia menu upon connection, there is room to accommodate the HTC extended battery, and it can even charge a spare. The car dock triggers navigation mode upon connection, supports video chat, and can be mounted on the windshield or the dashboard. You will need to remove your case to fit in either of these docks.

I know $60 might seem pretty steep for the desk dock, but it will allow you to connect to your TV via HDMI cable (since this phone only has DLNA, and its a lot cheaper than buying the HTC Media Link) as well as charge in landscape mode while watching video (which a lot of people have complained about regarding the micro-USB port location on the side).

Desktop dock:
http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/store/accessory?&action=accessoryDetails&accessoryId=47425
Not sure if this is supposed to be the Multimedia Dock, or just a desktop charger. If its just a dual charger, it is way overpriced.

Car dock:
http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/store/accessory?action=accessoryDetails&accessoryId=47426

Attachments

• thunderbolt-multimedia-dock-1.jpg
    thunderbolt-multimedia-dock-1.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 3,227
  • htc-thunderbolt-car-dock.jpg
    htc-thunderbolt-car-dock.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 2,308
  • Car Dock - Back.jpg
    Car Dock - Back.jpg
    272.7 KB · Views: 3,253

metzor

Reaction score
I don't know how I feel about that desktop dock.. $60 seems like a lot (the one I bought for my OG droid last year was like half that price). But I use my phone as my alarm and clock by my bed.. seems like since we can't really charge the phone when it's on it's kickstand, that to use it for this purpose would require this dock. No?

Narsil

Silver Member
Reaction score
For me, the second battery charging capability, combined with the HDMI port, make it worth the extra money. I may end up purchasing two so I don't have to take my home one on my frequent business trips. I, also, use my phone for my alarm clock 100% of the time now.

CVP Alarm Clock Plus is a very nice free alarm clock/dock replacement app, btw. :)

metzor

Reaction score
For me, the second battery charging capability, combined with the HDMI port, make it worth the extra money. I may end up purchasing two so I don't have to take my home one on my frequent business trips. I, also, use my phone for my alarm clock 100% of the time now.

CVP Alarm Clock Plus is a very nice free alarm clock/dock replacement app, btw. :)

Yeah that's the app I use :) Don't know how I lived without it before, which is why I'm a little annoyed I have to shell out $60 for one accessory, just so I don't lose a major feature from my previous phone.

Batwaffel

Reaction score
The car dock looks really nice and I might end up getting it and selling my Garmin GPS since there is really no need when I can use my phone as such. $30 isn't too bad of a price for it.

Dunno about the multimedia dock though. I'm still not sold on the idea of using a phone for HDMI.

P7M8

Reaction score
I bought both for my D1 then couldn't use any type of case to protect the device. I actually liked the two piece snap on case VZW sold for the D1. As nice as the T-Bolt is, I'm going to want to find a low profile hard case to protect it. Then I hope to find a desk top charger and car dock to use with the case attached.

Any suggestions? It has to be really sleek.

Its TwiX

Reaction score
Can you provide proof of HDMI plug on the Media dock? Haven't been on all day (messing with my Thunderbolt lol) so I was wondering where that was confirmed.

I might buy the car dock when I get back from my cruise... depends if it can use Google Nav instead of VZW Nav and if it can fit in the dock with a case of the phone. If not, I'll just get a car charger lol.

OP
guitarchris123
Reaction score
Can you provide proof of HDMI plug on the Media dock? Haven't been on all day (messing with my Thunderbolt lol) so I was wondering where that was confirmed.

Sorry, I cannot verify if it will have an HDMI plug output or not, not confirmed. The only reason I said that is because the dock is called "multimedia" and I have to be sure that it will have some sort of connection that goes to computers and tvs for that reason. If it was just a glorified charger/alarm clock, they would not call it that and sell it for sixty. Lack of that port on the TB itself has been a big issue through the community, so it makes sense for them to allow a way to accomplish it.

Corinacakes

Super Moderator
Theme Developer
Reaction score
For those of you coming from the X...I got the car dock to work with my TB. Take it apart and turn the plug around. you also need to leave that first piece you take off the phone...off.

techguru

Reaction score
I bought the car dock. Haven't tried it yet and I left it at home today. I am not sure it will fit the extended battery, but at least one good thing is it was designed to not block the camera so you can use one of the "dash cam" apps (I like Daily Roads Voyager the best) without drilling holes in your dock.

I would like the multi-media mostly for the second battery charging port. Does seem kind of pricey, but I do get a corporate discount on accessories so I might pick one up if it shows up in my local store. (if you work for a company that does business with Verizon, check if you have a corp discount. Usually just need a company email address as proof. Mine saves me 15% on service, 20% on features, and 25% on accessories - service and features on primary line only).

Alan

vessej

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
The car dock looks really nice and I might end up getting it and selling my Garmin GPS since there is really no need when I can use my phone as such. $30 isn't too bad of a price for it.

Dunno about the multimedia dock though. I'm still not sold on the idea of using a phone for HDMI.

I would like to do this but if you don't have a data connection or preloaded maps it will not work (at least on the x). I guess if you stay in the city it works out good but I like to drive in the desert or the mountains and coverage is spotty at best. :)

KXMc

Reaction score
Car Dock

So does the car dock run VZ nav or google maps ??

I have the car dock, and used it with Google Maps. Worked great. Won't fit in with a case on, but I have the Seidio 2-piece that's easy to remove. When you put it in the dock, it will seem like it fits crooked. You need to (carefully) press down on the top right side until you hear a click. Enjoy

Ken!

stuigi

Reaction score
So does the car dock run VZ nav or google maps ??

I have the car dock, and used it with Google Maps. Worked great. Won't fit in with a case on, but I have the Seidio 2-piece that's easy to remove. When you put it in the dock, it will seem like it fits crooked. You need to (carefully) press down on the top right side until you hear a click. Enjoy

Ken!

I have the dock and removed it from the suction cup and mounted it on my dash. Nice and clean install. The only problem with the dock is that click you spoke about. There are two tiny nibs on the USB plug on the dock that locks it into the phone. Made it a ***** to remove the phone. I ground down the nibs and now the phone slides real smoothly in and out

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I went to the local VZW store to purchase the dock and he said they'd have to order it and would get it in 2 business days. He then said that it is not available in any VZW areas yet. Has anyone purchased a dock yet? If so, where did you get it?