Multimedia Desktop and Car Dock for Thunderbolt

Discussion in 'HTC ThunderBolt' started by guitarchris123, Mar 15, 2011.

1. guitarchris123

guitarchris123 New Member

So, who will be getting the Multimedia Desktop Dock or the Car Dock? It looks like they will cost around $60 and $30, respectively. They actually look pretty nice! The desktop dock triggers the multimedia menu upon connection, there is room to accommodate the HTC extended battery, and it can even charge a spare. The car dock triggers navigation mode upon connection, supports video chat, and can be mounted on the windshield or the dashboard. You will need to remove your case to fit in either of these docks.

I know $60 might seem pretty steep for the desk dock, but it will allow you to connect to your TV via HDMI cable (since this phone only has DLNA, and its a lot cheaper than buying the HTC Media Link) as well as charge in landscape mode while watching video (which a lot of people have complained about regarding the micro-USB port location on the side).

Desktop dock:
    http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/store/accessory?&action=accessoryDetails&accessoryId=47425
    Not sure if this is supposed to be the Multimedia Dock, or just a desktop charger. If its just a dual charger, it is way overpriced.

Car dock:
    http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/store/accessory?action=accessoryDetails&accessoryId=47426

Attached Files:

2. metzor

metzor New Member

I don't know how I feel about that desktop dock.. $60 seems like a lot (the one I bought for my OG droid last year was like half that price). But I use my phone as my alarm and clock by my bed.. seems like since we can't really charge the phone when it's on it's kickstand, that to use it for this purpose would require this dock. No?
  3. Narsil

Narsil Active Member

For me, the second battery charging capability, combined with the HDMI port, make it worth the extra money. I may end up purchasing two so I don't have to take my home one on my frequent business trips. I, also, use my phone for my alarm clock 100% of the time now.

CVP Alarm Clock Plus is a very nice free alarm clock/dock replacement app, btw. :)
  4. metzor

metzor New Member

Yeah that's the app I use :) Don't know how I lived without it before, which is why I'm a little annoyed I have to shell out $60 for one accessory, just so I don't lose a major feature from my previous phone.
  5. Batwaffel

Batwaffel New Member

The car dock looks really nice and I might end up getting it and selling my Garmin GPS since there is really no need when I can use my phone as such. $30 isn't too bad of a price for it.

Dunno about the multimedia dock though. I'm still not sold on the idea of using a phone for HDMI.
  6. P7M8

P7M8 New Member

I bought both for my D1 then couldn't use any type of case to protect the device. I actually liked the two piece snap on case VZW sold for the D1. As nice as the T-Bolt is, I'm going to want to find a low profile hard case to protect it. Then I hope to find a desk top charger and car dock to use with the case attached.

Any suggestions? It has to be really sleek.
  7. Its TwiX

Its TwiX New Member

Can you provide proof of HDMI plug on the Media dock? Haven't been on all day (messing with my Thunderbolt lol) so I was wondering where that was confirmed.

I might buy the car dock when I get back from my cruise... depends if it can use Google Nav instead of VZW Nav and if it can fit in the dock with a case of the phone. If not, I'll just get a car charger lol.
  8. guitarchris123

guitarchris123 New Member

Sorry, I cannot verify if it will have an HDMI plug output or not, not confirmed. The only reason I said that is because the dock is called "multimedia" and I have to be sure that it will have some sort of connection that goes to computers and tvs for that reason. If it was just a glorified charger/alarm clock, they would not call it that and sell it for sixty. Lack of that port on the TB itself has been a big issue through the community, so it makes sense for them to allow a way to accomplish it.
  9. Corinacakes

Corinacakes DF Super Moderator Theme Developer

For those of you coming from the X...I got the car dock to work with my TB. Take it apart and turn the plug around. you also need to leave that first piece you take off the phone...off.
  10. techguru

techguru Member

I bought the car dock. Haven't tried it yet and I left it at home today. I am not sure it will fit the extended battery, but at least one good thing is it was designed to not block the camera so you can use one of the "dash cam" apps (I like Daily Roads Voyager the best) without drilling holes in your dock.

I would like the multi-media mostly for the second battery charging port. Does seem kind of pricey, but I do get a corporate discount on accessories so I might pick one up if it shows up in my local store. (if you work for a company that does business with Verizon, check if you have a corp discount. Usually just need a company email address as proof. Mine saves me 15% on service, 20% on features, and 25% on accessories - service and features on primary line only).

Alan
  11. FlyFishinX2

FlyFishinX2 New Member

So does the car dock run VZ nav or google maps ??
  12. vessej

vessej Premium Member Premium Member

I would like to do this but if you don't have a data connection or preloaded maps it will not work (at least on the x). I guess if you stay in the city it works out good but I like to drive in the desert or the mountains and coverage is spotty at best. :)
  13. KXMc

KXMc New Member

Car Dock

I have the car dock, and used it with Google Maps. Worked great. Won't fit in with a case on, but I have the Seidio 2-piece that's easy to remove. When you put it in the dock, it will seem like it fits crooked. You need to (carefully) press down on the top right side until you hear a click. Enjoy

Ken!
  14. stuigi

stuigi Member

I have the dock and removed it from the suction cup and mounted it on my dash. Nice and clean install. The only problem with the dock is that click you spoke about. There are two tiny nibs on the USB plug on the dock that locks it into the phone. Made it a ***** to remove the phone. I ground down the nibs and now the phone slides real smoothly in and out
  15. Vulcan1600

Vulcan1600 DF Super Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

I went to the local VZW store to purchase the dock and he said they'd have to order it and would get it in 2 business days. He then said that it is not available in any VZW areas yet. Has anyone purchased a dock yet? If so, where did you get it?
  16. mobileT83

mobileT83 New Member

No, not yet. I don't care for the HDMI out...DLNA will do the job... but 60 bucks is pretty steep.

What year is your 1600.... I have an 06 Meanstreak that I can't wait to get back on the road, weather is starting to look better and better here in MA

T
  17. Vulcan1600

Come on down to Lancaster, PA and we'll go riding sometime. I have a 2008 Vulcan 1600. We had beautiful weather on Friday (79 deg), so I rode home from work at lunch and took the Vulcan back to work for the rest of the day. Can't wait for riding season!

Ok, so I went out and bought the Car Dock and just got back home. I like the idea that you can keep the charger plugged into the car dock, and it has a surface mount option, so if you're like me you want your TB closer to you and not so far in the distance on the window. I opted for the surface mounting and it was really nice. I compare this to my previous car dock which was for my Droid, which I really didn't use after a while for the reasons I like the TB dock.

A couple of observations with the car dock. First thing, there's no obstruction so you could be driving along and recording or take pictures with the phone in the dock. I don't know how useful that will be for me, but others might be glad to know it's not obstructed by the dock case.

One thing I'm not fond of, and that is apparently there's no magnets so the phone doesn't go into car dock mode when you put it into the car dock. I know from being on DF the past 18 months that some hated the car dock mode so those people might be happy to hear this.

Lastly, since the Multimedia Dock will be about $60 and not available yet, I was thinking, why not use it as a nightstand dock? With my 25% accessory discount I got my car dock for under $24. Just an idea, and not sure if I'll try it myself actually but it was a thought. Heck, since you can record while inside the dark, you could record, well umm, never mind. :)
  18. mobileT83

mobileT83 New Member

Just push down a little bit harder and you will lock into car mode. Bit scary the first time.

Today cooled off a bit, maybe I can take the bike out this week... Looking forward to above 70 degree weather here

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums App
  19. stuigi

stuigi Member

I got my cardock in Allentown PA VZ. A word of warning though. The usb connector that the phone slips into has little nibs that lock it onto the phone. Makes it very difficult to remove without using 2 hands. I ended up using a Dremel and ground them off. Now the phone just slips right in and out without any difficuly at all
  20. Vulcan1600

I might do the same thing. I now have two car docks, one in the car, and the other I mounted with the suction cup on my motorcycle windshield. I know that it's not a very good idea, however I have a bag that I have also on the windshield that I keep things like my headset, car charger, etc. in and it has a little handle on it. So, I took a zip tie and zip tied the car dock to the little handle, so if it comes off, it won't go flying in the air at 70 mph. It was nice too that using Car Dashboard how the motorcycle speedometer really is off about 10% from the speedometer and the actual speed. For example if my speedometer said 70 mph, I was really only going about 63 mph according to the GPS. This is something I've known about for a few years, but was confirmed yesterday when I took the bike for a spin.

I think I am going to purchase a multimedia dock still, especially since my TV doesn't have the DNLI capabilities but does have HDMI, so the dock will work with my TV sets in the house then.
Search tags for this page
car desktop dock
car multimedia htc thunderbolt
dock on for thunderbolt
how do i activate my docking mode for htc thunderbolt
how would you secure a thunderbolt dock to a desk
htc thunderbolt car dock extended battery
htc thunderbolt car mode
htc thunderbolt hdmi dock
htc thunderbolt multimedia dock
htc thunerbolt turn on auto dock when put in desktop dock
thunderbolt car dock resistor