Multimedia Desktop and Car Dock for Thunderbolt

66dude

Reaction score
Ok, somewhat related question, but I noticed that the HTC Sense Music app looks screwy in car dock mode. When I first open it up, it correctly displayed in landscape, then immediately rotates to portrait mode, cutting off half the screen. Anyone noticed that? I'd like to use that app because Google Navigation appropriately pauses the music when speaking directions. With Winamp, Google Navigation does not do that. It merely mutes the music while speaking, then unmutes when done speaking without pausing the music.

Reaction score
Ok, somewhat related question, but I noticed that the HTC Sense Music app looks screwy in car dock mode. When I first open it up, it correctly displayed in landscape, then immediately rotates to portrait mode, cutting off half the screen. Anyone noticed that? I'd like to use that app because Google Navigation appropriately pauses the music when speaking directions. With Winamp, Google Navigation does not do that. It merely mutes the music while speaking, then unmutes when done speaking without pausing the music.

Interesting... I will have to see if TuneWiki pauses (my music app of choice) or not.

dhundley79

Reaction score

Mine does the same thing. One of the main reasons why i bought the dock was for this. Might take it back.

66dude

Reaction score

Interesting... I will have to see if TuneWiki pauses (my music app of choice) or not.

I went ahead and used Tunewiki while Google Navigation was running to see if it pauses when Google Nav speaks. And Tunewiki does indeed pause for Google Nav! I think I'll use Tunewiki from now on, although I could do without the ads. The lyrics display is great for me because I am hard of hearing, and I can more easily follow along! Tunewiki also displays landscape properly.

Reaction score
I went ahead and used Tunewiki while Google Navigation was running to see if it pauses when Google Nav speaks. And Tunewiki does indeed pause for Google Nav! I think I'll use Tunewiki from now on, although I could do without the ads. The lyrics display is great for me because I am hard of hearing, and I can more easily follow along! Tunewiki also displays landscape properly.

Yeah, sorry about that, I had found out it worked the other day and forgot to post a follow-up.

Just think: That's not even the beginning of what is cool about TuneWiki! I love the fact that it also has links to internet radio, Music Videos (on YouTube and local), and that you can see other users in your area and what they are listening to! You may be able to kill the ads with some ad killer app, provided you are Rooted, but don't know.

There is another nice Music App called "3" (it's a little 3, so it stands for "Cubed"). It doesn't have the lyrics feature, but it looks pretty cool and is another popular Music player that I have used.

rbullard

Reaction score
Where is the multimedia dock?!?!

Since there is no other logical outlet, I thought I'd come here today and vent my frustration at HTC. WHERE IS THE MULTIMEDIA DOCK?!?!?!

When I dumped my original Droid for the Thunderbolt, I thought the dock would be coming out quickly. I gave up and ordered a 3rd party after-market dock on eBay a couple of weeks ago. It said it was made for the Thunderbolt but it wouldn't even fit the phone. Not even close. Complete piece of crap. Seidio also hasn't launched one. This phone is selling GREAT and it's such an obvious need, I can't for the life of me understand why there isn't even just a simple micro-USB docking cradle I can use. It was such a big convenience to have a couple of those for my old Droid, I'm missing it big time.

JayTofLA

Reaction score
Dremel the nibs?

I'm new to the Tbolt from the D1 and 'love it.
Question for those of you that have modified the car dock by using the Dremel on the "nibs"; does the phone still go into "car dock" mode? Since there doesn't seem to be any magnet like with the D1 docks, I don't yet understand how the Tbolt knows it's in the car dock.

monolithic

Reaction score
Question for those of you that have modified the car dock by using the Dremel on the "nibs"; does the phone still go into "car dock" mode? Since there doesn't seem to be any magnet like with the D1 docks, I don't yet understand how the Tbolt knows it's in the car dock.

I have not had to do anything to my car dock for my 'Bolt. It pops right in there just fine. It's not difficult at all. Tt takes a few tries to get the hang of how it's supposed to go in there, but there thereafter it's easy to do. It does require two hands obviously, but it does not need any modifications, etc.

Fit it in, press lightly on the right-hand side to click into the usb port and it's fine.

Truly.

M.

OP
guitarchris123
Reaction score

The plastic nibs have nothing to do with car dock mode. It recognizes it from the micro-USB port connection. Some people have experienced difficulty with the TB being inserted properly and all the way (you need to get the "click"), that's why some have suggested sanding them down a bit (because the fit can be a little tight, not giving you the correct snap in all the way).

Smithj

Reaction score
I was curious also and had to take the housing apart to modify it for my dash mount. The circuit card inside that connects the charger to the connector that the TB plugs into has a resistor accross two of the traces. The TB must sense this and switch to car mode....

nefariousity

Reaction score
I still can't find a car mount or multimedia dock for my Thunderbolt!

HTC why have you abandoned me!?! :sad:

Reaction score
I still can't find a car mount or multimedia dock for my Thunderbolt!

HTC why have you abandoned me!?! :sad:

Multimedia dock has not been released yet. The Car Dock is out there... I got mine at a VZW Kiosk inside a BJ's Wholesale.

Someone previously mentioned taking the car dock part that holds the phone off of the windshield/dash mount arm and using that as his "multimedia" dock. It will at least let you charge the phone in landscape mode.

nefariousity

Reaction score
Multimedia dock has not been released yet. The Car Dock is out there... I got mine at a VZW Kiosk inside a BJ's Wholesale.

Someone previously mentioned taking the car dock part that holds the phone off of the windshield/dash mount arm and using that as his "multimedia" dock. It will at least let you charge the phone in landscape mode.

I've been to 3 different kiosks with no luck =(

But thanks for the idea about turning the car dock into a regular dock. :)

Reaction score
I sent off an e-mail to HTC a week ago. I was told that they have no ETA on when the Multimedia dock is coming out but it is still coming. Take it for what its worth which right now is about worth just as much as the Minnesota Timberwolves winning the NBA Finals this year is.