Multimedia Desktop and Car Dock for Thunderbolt

Discussion in 'HTC ThunderBolt' started by guitarchris123, Mar 15, 2011.

1. Kack

Kack Member

Ratings:
    +0
    i bought a car dock for my d1 hardly used it but that one didnt charge it. so i looked at the tb car dock felt eh. told the guy at the vzw store who was trying to get me to buy it "nah i dont want to pay $24!" he told me he would sell it to me for $15. so needless to say i walked out with a Tbolt car dock,

2. Vulcan1600

Vulcan1600 Super Moderator
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +317
    I like the car dock and the fact that you can plug the charger into the dock, unlike on the OG Droid. I tried to do the surface mount on the dash yesterday and today the car dock went crashing down on me. So, it's back up on the window, which I really don't like. It's too far away for my comfort level (near sighted/bi-focals).

Anyone have an idea of what I could use to seal that sucker better to my dash?

3. guitarchris123

Ratings:
    +0
    For my Garmin, I have it dash mounted, and it came with a circular plastic disk that you attach to the dash with a sticky adhesive, then stick the suction cup on that. Did the car dock come with something like that? Otherwise, you should look for a small circular disk to attach to the dash, then the car dock to the disk.

4. funkyb

funkyb Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Great idea!

- Powered by 1.21 Gigawatts of Android

5. drew

drew Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I went looking for the multimedia dock today, but no dice. No one has it. One corporate store even tried telling me the dock doesn't exist and that HTC doesn't make one (and doesn't plan to). I had to take the extra effort to have them look it up in their inventory. I hate how uninformed they can be sometimes.

I recall the D1 dock being labeled as "multimedia", but all it did was put it into "dock mode" that you could just as easily do with Dock Runner. It didn't really offer anything special, and i'm not positive the new $60 one will either (although I hope there is an HDMI port)

I also bought both combination desk dock and car dock bundled together in one package @ Costco for my D1 a few months ago. Hope maybe they do the same thing for the TBolt.

I haven't taken a magnet to the back of the TB yet, but that might be the catalyst to building my own like I did for the D1. I'm sure other alternatives like Mikradle will also be available (and well worth it if there's nothing special about the desk dock).

Based on the design of the TB, I thought maybe the multimedia dock would come with external speakers and be like an "iDock" at that price point.

6. lauriep

lauriep Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Multimedia dock ...

Do we know when this will be available? I've searched online and don't see one anywhere.

7. hdeez

hdeez New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Any way you can post pics of how you mounted the phone on your bike? I want to mount the phone on my RC51 for track days. Ill post some killer video if you put them up, haha.

8. WorldOfJohnboy

Ratings:
    +0
    I know someone else already said this (sort of), but the Car Dock interface that comes on the HTC TBolt only gives you 6 programs to use... voice search, Navigation (Google, not VZ Nav), Voice Dial, Google Maps, and a couple of others that I don't recall offhand, but would likely not use.

I use an App called "Car Home" which is very cool and allows you to throw up a few different screens of your own customized shortcuts (3x6). It also shows your speed, location, compass, and weather. After I installed it and popped the phone into the Dock, it asked me what program I wanted to use, so I changed my default to Car Home.

I have two issues with the "stock" car dock application that comes with the phone: 1) You cannot customize the buttons to do something that you use a lot... you can't even customize one of the buttons (like I could with my Droid X). 2) If you need to exit out of the stock Car Dock application, you can't get back into it unless you take the phone out and put it back in. I can't find a shortcut to the program, and unlike the Droid X since it is not magnet activated, it doesn't go back into Car Dock mode when you press the "Home" button.

The dock itself is nice, though I have a hard time getting the phone out of the dock... I may file down the "nubs" that hold the phone in snugly as someone else mentioned.

9. Vulcan1600

Vulcan1600 Super Moderator
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +317
    I agree that Car Home is the best out there, however I wish you could change thy colors of the text like you can with Car Dashboard.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

10. Thndrblt

Thndrblt New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I got the Thunderbolt hoping that I could use it with my AAXA M2 projector. I was hoping for a simple adapter cable but from what I'm reading here, I'm going to need the dock to connect this to any TV-out device? TIA.

11. WorldOfJohnboy

Ratings:
    +0
    Not sure... There is no HDMI port on the phone so *if* there is going to be a TV-out, it would have to be on the Multimedia Dock. I don't know as though anyone has a picture of the back of the Dock yet though.

12. Thndrblt

Thndrblt New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Fortunately, the projector has HDMI, but I was hoping a cheap cable adapter was available. Maybe in the near future.

Search tags for this page
car desktop dock
car multimedia htc thunderbolt
dock on for thunderbolt
how would you secure a thunderbolt dock to a desk
htc thunderbolt car mode
htc thunderbolt hdmi dock
htc thunderbolt multimedia dock
htc thunerbolt turn on auto dock when put in desktop dock
thunderbolt car dock resistor

thunderbolt dock