Much simpler guide for rooting (no pc required)

snowboarding1236

Reaction score
rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin
su
Superuser.apk

^
how do i get these? and where do i get these. I am new to this so I needed some help. Thanks so much.

snowboarding1236

Reaction score
Last edited:

FSRBIKER

Reaction score
The files all need to be on the root of the sd card, not in any folder. I used the app Andro Zip to extract the files. Pay close attention to spaces, capital letters, etc when typing the command lines

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Ok so i was originally having the abd issue after command line ./rage*.bin but after switching usb debugging it seemed to work. But after f.c. and returning to terminal emulater i am still greeted by $ and not # this worries me as i don't want to screw anything up. But if i repeat the first set of commands, after command line cp /sdcard/rage*.bin /tmp/ i get a message saying text file busy.

So my question is was i successful with root shell and available to continue even though i didn't get the # or is something missing

UPDATE: restarted phone and restarted process... SUCCESSFUL ROOT! Thanks so much for the easy tutorial

Last edited:
OP
E

Eousphoros

Reaction score
Now if we could only figure out how to unlock /boot. I've been able to dump the bootrom, boot, pretty much everything on the phone. Unfortunately it's all signed which makes changing anything a pita.

droidmark

Reaction score
What are the implications/restrictions on what can and can't be done with the signed bootloader, vs an unlocked one? I ask because I'm coming from a rooted original Droid and considering a Droid 2, and wondering what the limitations will be on customization.

Now if we could only figure out how to unlock /boot. I've been able to dump the bootrom, boot, pretty much everything on the phone. Unfortunately it's all signed which makes changing anything a pita.

Captmilk

Reaction score
At least when you have your PC connected to root, you can copy and paste more easy than typing all of that on your phone keyboard.( plus with copying and pasting you don't make mistakes as much)

confusion

Reaction score
I have tried this a dozen times. I have downloaded the rageagainstthecage-arm5, su Superuser.apk, and busybox. I type the first command into my emulator, then typ cp /sdcard/rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin /tmp/. The emulator then spits out cp; /sdcard/rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin: No such file or directory. The file has been downloaded and extracted. Am i doing something wrong?

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I have tried this a dozen times. I have downloaded the rageagainstthecage-arm5, su Superuser.apk, and busybox. I type the first command into my emulator, then typ cp /sdcard/rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin /tmp/. The emulator then spits out cp; /sdcard/rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin: No such file or directory. The file has been downloaded and extracted. Am i doing something wrong?

Are the files moved to the base of your sd card

Baseballd2

Reaction score
Im getting hung up on the chmod 4755 /system/bin/su
also tried it with a X in front of bin

Says "Unable to chmod /system/bin/su: No such file or directory"

What am I missing here? I have busybox, su, rage, and superuser on the SDcard.. Every other step went smooth.

Anyone?

FSRBIKER

Reaction score
Baseball I think you are having a similar issue like I did, I bet you already have the system/bin/su folder like I did but its empty. The files could not get pushed on my DX until I deleted the su folder. Look at my posts around post 43 to see how I put one line of code in to delete the file.
Hope this helps.

pool_shark

Reaction score
su is supposed to be a file not a directory.

type:
$ cd /system/bin
$ ls

If you don't see the output, the file su is not there.

Did you do the cp commands?