Much simpler guide for rooting (no pc required)

The_Iceman

Reaction score
Real quick question ...... Have a DroidX and see that the rooting process seems to work with it.

My DX just upgraded OTA to the new 2.3.15 version (non hacked/leaked version... actual real OTA upgrade).

Can I still use this process with the new 2.3.15 that my DX just upgraded to in order to obtain root?

Thanks so much for this great forum!!!!!!! ... gonna add this forum to my tapatalk.

The_Iceman

Reaction score
Here is my update (was getting too itchy waiting for confirmation) so I decided to see if it would work.....

I took the plunge with fingers crossed......... Followed the steps from the post and used ANDROZIP and BETTER TERMINAL EMULATOR as my side-programs to aid in this.

Only hiccup I ran into was I was not able to get the root # prompt initially.

With Better Terminal Emulator and each time I killed the terminal and restarted it I only got the $ prompt.

Last time (4th try) before killing it I cleared the Emulator program's cache and then forced it close. Once I did that it re-opened up to the # prompt. Got the files installed the rest of the way and the DX running the true OTA 2.3.15 is now rooted.

Great instructions and was a piece of cake. Now can launch better terminal emulator as root itself

Now able to enable WIFI Tethering! weeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Thank you again for the great instructions!!!!!!!!!!!

MAK1179

Reaction score
I went through the steps twice - no errors...All looks good. When I reboot I am not rooted.

I have my SU Ninja, but am not able to get SU rights for any apps and su in Terminal Emulator returns access denied

help?

MAK1179

Reaction score
I tried again, this time removing the SU in /system/bin/su first and still no good.

I go through the steps verbatim, no errors etc...when I reboot - no root.

darkonion

Reaction score
I tried again, this time removing the SU in /system/bin/su first and still no good.

I go through the steps verbatim, no errors etc...when I reboot - no root.

How did you test for Root? Did you run a program that required root?

Have you tried the 1-click method here? Thread has been relatively quiet and error free lately. I think most of the bugs are worked out. It does require to have ADB, but minor detail.

Easier 1-2-3 Droid 2 Root for Windows / Linux / Mac - xda-developers

MAK1179

Reaction score
lol I didn't know there was a one click method!

To test I was trying "su" in terminal emulator as well as trying SetCPU and Rom Manager

I'll check out the one click method

darkonion

Reaction score
It isn't exactly one-click per se, but it's pretty close. Just follow the directions. Pretty straight forward.

doomedromance

Reaction score
Dude the adb methods really no big deal. If you can't handle simple instructions you probably shouldn't root your phone in the first place. Besides, you might actually learn something for future reference.

Don't insult me when you don't even know what happened.

I kept getting the error command not recognized. I added it to my path, it still didn't work. I didn't have an adb.exe, it isn't anywhere on my PC.

I use root on a daily basis at work. I have built more AIX lpars than you have hairs on your head.
I use lpar mobility between 2 P520's and a P750 with 6 different VIO servers, every single lpar is virtualized and built from the NIM server that I built.

You should have an adb.exe It's the 3rd item down (Sorted alphabetically) in the tools folder of the AndroidSDK folder

MAK1179

Reaction score
It isn't exactly one-click per se, but it's pretty close. Just follow the directions. Pretty straight forward.

Followed to a T. No error (even admittedly by the CMD prompt. Still - no - root. wtf :/

pool_shark

Reaction score
Dude the adb methods really no big deal. If you can't handle simple instructions you probably shouldn't root your phone in the first place. Besides, you might actually learn something for future reference.

Don't insult me when you don't even know what happened.

I kept getting the error command not recognized. I added it to my path, it still didn't work. I didn't have an adb.exe, it isn't anywhere on my PC.

I use root on a daily basis at work. I have built more AIX lpars than you have hairs on your head.
I use lpar mobility between 2 P520's and a P750 with 6 different VIO servers, every single lpar is virtualized and built from the NIM server that I built.

You should have an adb.exe It's the 3rd item down (Sorted alphabetically) in the tools folder of the AndroidSDK folder

It wasn't there, and this no longer matters, I rooted without adb.

qwertyoo

Reaction score
Amazing guide! First time rooting. Took me literally 30min to find everything and get it done! One click would be nice but this works great! Awesome job!

darkonion

Reaction score
Amazing guide! First time rooting. Took me literally 30min to find everything and get it done! One click would be nice but this works great! Awesome job!

One click has been out for awhile now. And pretty much all the bugs addressed.

cruckus

Reaction score
good stuff ive used this twice with no problems ever thanks for making this guide!