mtd: not erasing bad block at 0x08b80000

Tallica

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
When doing an adb format DATA: I get this message as well as at 0x09b80000.

Are these bad blocks in my internal memory? What can it be from and can I fix?

All help appreciated.

Last edited:
OP
Tallica

Tallica

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Nobody else had this or can shed some light?

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hang in there on this one. Somebody who really understands this stuff is going to have to answer you. I'm just a follow the instructions guy when it comes to this stuff.

Edit: I tried to google it and got two hits on it. Yours was one of them the other had nothing to do with the problem.

Last edited:
OP
Tallica

Tallica

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Thanks hook, me too. Hopefully someone will come along that knows more then me about this. I have figured out a lot of stuff on my own, but this one scares me 'cause I don't know of a way to scrub my internal memory any "harder".

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
These ARE bad blocks in your internal memory, unfortunately there is nothing you can do to fix this. Basically, what it's telling you is that this particular block has been flagged as bad. I myself have developed a number of these bad blocks on my data partition - no ill effects, though.....

I suspect this might be a warranty issue, except for one thing - I haven't figured out how to tell VZW that i've discovered my bad blocks without telling them i've rooted my device.

obededom

Reaction score
it happens to everybody who erases data from adb and sprecovery.

It must be a reserved portion of the data partition by VZW...either way, nothing is wrong.

OP
Tallica

Tallica

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I suspect this might be a warranty issue, except for one thing - I haven't figured out how to tell VZW that i've discovered my bad blocks without telling them i've rooted my device.

Do you have to be rooted to use adb?

Also:

Does anyone know how big these blocks are 1kb....1mb?

Just asking because I assume this is lost space that can never be recovered.

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yes, you need to be rooted in order for the partitions to be formattable via recovery/ADB. There is no way to do the format without being rooted, hence the fact that VZW would KNOW you voided your warranty if you tried to bring up the issue.

I am not sure what the block size is, however it is very small (i'm thinking 4KB, but I could be wrong); i've got several bad blocks (8 or 9 at last check) and it has no negative effect on my storage capacity (if you're gonna have bad blocks, data is the partition to have them on)

Fact is, flash memory does "wear out" sooner or later; and some blocks may be a bit more "fragile" than others (wear out quicker) - I suspect that people such as myself who do alot of adding/removing apps are more susceptible to the problem; since apps are stored on the data partition. In the end, i've chosen not to worry about it; since I think the device will have outlived its usefulness before it becomes a real problem. As long as the bad blocks don't start popping up on other partitions.

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
it happens to everybody who erases data from adb and sprecovery.

It must be a reserved portion of the data partition by VZW...either way, nothing is wrong.

Just to clarify, it does NOT happen to everybody. When my DROID was new/newer; it never reported bad mtdblocks, it's only after having it for awhile, adding/removing a bunch of apps, and messing around with new ROMs almost daily that it's become an issue. It has nothing to do with part of the partition being reserved. Like I said above, it has to do with memory blocks physically wearing out.

It still doesn't mean anything is wrong, per se. Just normal flash memory wear and tear. The failing blocks being marked "bad" is normal, it's working as designed. If the block is flagged, the device won't attempt to store data there. Magnetic hard drives in PCs do the same thing in the background.

OP
Tallica

Tallica

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Thanks for all the info, am not as worried anymore:)

grandkai

Reaction score
I too am having the same problem I am attempting to flash SS 4.8 and am receiving the bad block problem. I had previously had SS 4.7 installed then went to BB v0.5 without problems on either then when I attempted to go to SS 4.8 it gave me the bad block message in the boot partition so I attempted to go back to SS 4.7 but now get that message on that version as well. Is there any way to reformat to regain those bad blocks or reallocate so I can get the ROM installed?

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
grandkai, those blocks are marked bad permanently, because they ARE bad. There is no way to reallocate them, as they are broken.

The reason you are experiencing difficulty is that the boot partition is pretty much full by default. There is simply no room for bad blocks to be present. With the blocks being bad, there isn't any room for the kernel to fit.

I'm not sure what the results of flashing the SBF file and returning to stock would be at this point, either. I am thinking it might fail to flash and brick the device.

With this particular case, i'm sort of at the point where I don't know what to recommend.

grandkai

Reaction score
Thank you for the information. I was not sure if the structuring on a memory chip is similar to a hard drive partitioning where the boot may be increased and others decreased to allow for a small amount or the use of some sort of low level format the attempt to recover the bad blocks.

As you mention the SBF may brick it, hypothetically if that happens would that allow for return of the phone without them being able to tell if the warranty was voided? Also if stock is reachable say prior to FRG22D and I attempt to do the OTA is it possible that would fail to install and be another reason for replacement of the handset?

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
Thank you for the information. I was not sure if the structuring on a memory chip is similar to a hard drive partitioning where the boot may be increased and others decreased to allow for a small amount or the use of some sort of low level format the attempt to recover the bad blocks.

As you mention the SBF may brick it, hypothetically if that happens would that allow for return of the phone without them being able to tell if the warranty was voided? Also if stock is reachable say prior to FRG22D and I attempt to do the OTA is it possible that would fail to install and be another reason for replacement of the handset?

I don't think there is any way to adjust the partition sizes on the device. The thing is, a memory block becomes bad when it can no longer be erased. There is no way to recover with a low level format, as low level formatting is only pertinent to magnetic storage. A flash memory block either works or it doesn't.

As for your second question, that's why I said I have no idea of how to advise you. That would ultimately be up to Verizon to determine. I would think, however, that they would simply replace it at that point. I don't want to steer you the wrong way, however; i'd hate to be the reason you made a $600 mistake.