mtd: not erasing bad block at 0x08b80000

Discussion in 'Android Support' started by Tallica, Jul 25, 2010.

1. Dave12308

Dave12308 Silver Member

Ratings:
    +50
    grandkai, those blocks are marked bad permanently, because they ARE bad. There is no way to reallocate them, as they are broken.

The reason you are experiencing difficulty is that the boot partition is pretty much full by default. There is simply no room for bad blocks to be present. With the blocks being bad, there isn't any room for the kernel to fit.

I'm not sure what the results of flashing the SBF file and returning to stock would be at this point, either. I am thinking it might fail to flash and brick the device.

With this particular case, i'm sort of at the point where I don't know what to recommend.

2. grandkai

grandkai New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you for the information. I was not sure if the structuring on a memory chip is similar to a hard drive partitioning where the boot may be increased and others decreased to allow for a small amount or the use of some sort of low level format the attempt to recover the bad blocks.

As you mention the SBF may brick it, hypothetically if that happens would that allow for return of the phone without them being able to tell if the warranty was voided? Also if stock is reachable say prior to FRG22D and I attempt to do the OTA is it possible that would fail to install and be another reason for replacement of the handset?

3. Dave12308

Dave12308 Silver Member

Ratings:
    +50
    I don't think there is any way to adjust the partition sizes on the device. The thing is, a memory block becomes bad when it can no longer be erased. There is no way to recover with a low level format, as low level formatting is only pertinent to magnetic storage. A flash memory block either works or it doesn't.

As for your second question, that's why I said I have no idea of how to advise you. That would ultimately be up to Verizon to determine. I would think, however, that they would simply replace it at that point. I don't want to steer you the wrong way, however; i'd hate to be the reason you made a $600 mistake.

4. grandkai

grandkai New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I understand and appreciate it. I always take what I read as advice not as the final word. It in either case gives options and with options a decision can be made. Thanks again for clarifying that.

Search tags for this page
android bad block
droid 3 bad block
fix android bad block memory internal
fix bad block internal memory android
mtd bad block fix android
mtd not erasing bad block at
mtd not erasing bad block at 0x solved
mtd: not erasingbadblock

not erasing bad block

when writing recovery it shows bad block at 0x003a0000