Motorola Xoom Still Better then The iPad 2 in Comparison!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

RemyL75

Reaction score
There is an element of truth that one selling point of Apple the brand identity; buying into a culture, if you will. Putting that aside, the iPad still brings a lot to the table.

The Xoom and other android tablets could out-spec the iPad 2 on paper, but in actual usage even the first iPad is smoother, more reliable, less buggy, and faster than the Xoom. That's one advantage of having efficient OS and software that is designed to run on a finite variety of hardware. More importantly, the iPad has many more cool, great-looking, and useful apps. When the iPad first came out there weren't many apps optimized for the tablet form factor, but that quickly changed. The same will happen with Android, but the difference is that the iPhone already had a ton of cool, good-looking, and useful apps awaiting optimization. Unfortunately, Android phones still lags far behind in that department.

Not to mention that the cheapest iPad has more than enough storage for 99% of people and it already sells like gangbusters. An Android tablet that retails for more than the 16GB iPad is basically bringing a knife to a gunfight.

I have to agree with you there. that's why in my 1st post i highlighted "on paper". Real world use is key, and for what it's worth, the iPad does run smoother than most Android devices. What is needed is a video that shows a side-by-side real world usage comparison of the 2 tablets in action. We will just have to wait until around the 11th when a video or 2 will pop up with said comparison.
As for the price, like i said before, I can get a Xoom cheaper off-contract, but 95% can't and that is what will keep the Xoom from passing up the iPad2. Eventually the price will drop, but there will be more tablets out by then, some with specs that were made to bury the Xoom and the iPad2. Technology has a way of doing that, evolving faster than the consumer can keep up.

P.S. - still getting a Xoom lol

Sniper_5

Reaction score
I said it yesterday. I'm buying a wifi iPad2 on the 11th.

I'm just tired of waiting for a wifi Android 10" tablet that meets my needs. If the wifi Xoom were on the shelves I'd buy it, but who knows when that'll be. The only chance of me getting a Xoom is if they make it available (either in the stores or available for pre-order) by the time the iPad2 is in the stores next week.

The WiFi xoom is available for preorder. Check the news and android police.com

jkhonea

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.oldesouthdesign.com
I said it yesterday. I'm buying a wifi iPad2 on the 11th.

I'm just tired of waiting for a wifi Android 10" tablet that meets my needs. If the wifi Xoom were on the shelves I'd buy it, but who knows when that'll be. The only chance of me getting a Xoom is if they make it available (either in the stores or available for pre-order) by the time the iPad2 is in the stores next week.

The WiFi xoom is available for preorder. Check the news and android police.com

The Thunderbolt was available for preorder, also.

Sorry, that was mean. :D

B

bthomp21

Few people care about specs, though. The ipad is unfortunately a different animal, specs notwithstanding. It'll outsell all those devices, probably combined.

this, you can slap an 799.99 price tag on **** and no one will buy it. slap it on an ipad and its sold out.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
Few people care about specs, though. The ipad is unfortunately a different animal, specs notwithstanding. It'll outsell all those devices, probably combined.

this, you can slap an 799.99 price tag on **** and no one will buy it. slap it on an ipad and its sold out.

Yes but I do want to make it clear that apple products sell because they are great products and not just because they have a picture of a fruit on the back. People buy it cuz of marketing (which is why people buy android), people keep buying it and it outsells every other product because it's an amazing piece of tech. I don't buy into the sheep, cult, communist stuff...

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Sniper_5

Reaction score
Lol, I know where your coming from, but I also don't recall motorola ever making people wait like HTC or samsung. At least HTC products ( so far) have worked properly out if the box.

Back on topic, while I could see plenty of use for a xoom, most of my use would be in a business/ out door environment where my laptop suffers a 1 hour battery use, I still see the laptop a slightly better option.I just can't get past the keyboard just yet. A phone is one thing, but the xoom falls in a size category where its just a bit small for two hand typing, but too big for my one handed typing liking. Even with swype I don't think I'd be a big fan. 12-14", while overkill for most, would be ideal for me. I like the idea of 3G/4G use as I can't always be in range of the WiFi at work, but please give me the option of another $20-$30 to my current plan. Not $50 for limited data on a second contact that I'll zip through in a heart beat.

Sent from my DROIDX

Hugh Jass

Reaction score
Did I read that correctly that the LG RECORDS 1080p in 3D? WTF?!1!! How the hell do you record in 3D? :icon_eek:

yurdle

Reaction score
hmm only one question.. and sorry if its already been answered, i'll be honest I didn't read the whole thread.
In the iPad 2 announcement they said it was the first dual core tablet to ship in volume...
I realize they will probably sell more than any of the other tablets out there.... but technically aren't the other tablets still shipping in "volume".....

And as far as comparing all of these tablets I think they all have their own purpose.. and different people will like different things. Just because one product isn't right for you doesn't mean its crap.
I personally want a xoom(can't yet.. have no money), but I do think the iPad's are pretty slick.
JMHO :greendroid::)

IanG

Reaction score
Better spec-wise? Maybe.
Better price-wise? Lolnope.

I'm an avid Android fan, but I'm sorry... the iPad 2 is better than the Xoom.

B

bthomp21

Yes but I do want to make it clear that apple products sell because they are great products and not just because they have a picture of a fruit on the back. People buy it cuz of marketing (which is why people buy android), people keep buying it and it outsells every other product because it's an amazing piece of tech. I don't buy into the sheep, cult, communist stuff...

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

I used to think apple was the devil, that is until I played with android tablets and then got my ipad. like most android stuff, its laggy and sluggish. But I do love the customization of the android platform compared to apple. take apple hardware and give it android os, it would be like selling crack in the hood for half off.

UNC

Reaction score
I'm not bashing the Xoom, but its obvious to anyone who has actually used a Xoom and an iPad which is better. The Xoom has dual-core 1ghz and is nowhere near as smooth as the original iPad. The new dual-core iPad2 will absolutely destroy the Xoom.

I've spelled out the difference between native code (iOS) and code run through a VM (Android) dozens of times, but noone seems to acknowledge... NATIVE CODE ALWAYS RUNS FASTER AND BETTER!!! This is why iOS products have better responsiveness at low clock speeds (see 3gs vs Droid) and better battery life.

Not to mention that iOS actually is optimized for dual-core cpus and Android is not.

I was waiting for the iPad2 reveal before I bought the Xoom... glad I waited! If it releases with a Verizon CDMA antenna I'm definitely going the iPad2 route.

vzdroid13

Reaction score
I really wanted Android to win this round, but Moto and VZW messed up bad with the Xooms price, and the contract nonsense. NOBODY wants to have to sign a contract to get a reasonably priced device, and we shouldnt have to. I would rather have a honeycomb tablet over an Apple, but theres no way i will pay more. Now with they ipad 2, the Xoom price seems even more crazy. I never thought i'd see the day when an "i-device" is the more affordable option; i hate to say it, but it looks like Apple won again...(for now)

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

Status
Not open for further replies.