Motorola Smartphones With Gingerbread May Experience Battery Issues after DST

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
motorola-twitter-battery-issue-fix.jpg

Apparently, Motorola themselves have confirmed in a Tweet that they uncovered an odd problem with many of their Android smartphones. If you have a Moto phone that is running Gingerbread, you could experience weak battery life issues after the Daylight Savings Time change. Luckily, it isn't a major issue that will require anything drastic like a patch. In fact, all you need to do to fix the issue is reboot your phone. But you already do that once every week or two anyway don't you?

Source: @Motorola Twitter

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
I was going to say that this is VERY weird and one of the weirdest things i'd ever heard. But then I remembered we're talking about a company that released a phone where the camera wouldn't autofocus depending on the date (OG Droid Android 2.0 camera bug).

What is it with Motorola and date-related oddities?

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Woke up today with a warm phone (33C), and took a peek at System Panel: seems that starting around 10pm Sunday night, com.motorola.process.system jumped up to 50% or 60% CPU, and steadily churned away until this morning -- when I rebooted. I'd call that "battery life issues." :(

View attachment 42234

-Matt

Last edited:

sb1831

Reaction score
Looks like the motorola version of the iPhone New Years alarm issue LOL.

NoBloatware

Reaction score
Will I have to reboot after every change to DST? Just this one time? What about "spring forward"?

chewy74

Reaction score
Pssh, I reboot at least twice per day for my d1. No worries

kylo77

Reaction score
I definitely experienced this...strange as it may be. A reboot did clear it. Did they provide any explanation????

kylo77

Reaction score
What app is that below tracking the battery and other usage?????

Woke up today with a warm phone (33C), and took a peek at System Panel: seems that starting around 10pm Sunday night, com.motorola.process.system jumped up to 50% or 60% CPU, and steadily churned away until this morning -- when I rebooted. I'd call that "battery life issues." :(

View attachment 42234

-Matt

FunN4Lo

Reaction score
My Droid has been warm all day and the batt was nearly dead when I got home. (not normal) Just thought I used it more than normal. Good thread!

lanza_david

Reaction score
I was getting a notification about high processor use today, so after I saw this about the moto DST issue, I have rebooted several times and now I'm getting a force close for com.motorola.process.system ALL the time. Very frequently. Anyone getting this?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

Last edited:

NoBloatware

Reaction score
We won't have to worry about "spring forward" because the D3 will have an update by then, I assume.

Garemlin

Developer Relations
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3 (VZW), Nexus 7 v2
Had the issue yesterday too. With about the same usage as normal I was down to 20% at around the same time of day I usually still have 50-60%

LT*

Reaction score
Both D3s I have did this too. Reboot seems to fix it with no issues.

warped1987

Reaction score
Every week or two
? Yeah right. I had to reset mine every hour or two
Sent from my HTC Droid FRICKEN Incredible 2 using Droid Forums App