Motorola May Be Working on Next-Gen Motion Charging Technology for Smartphones & More

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
new-motorola-innovation-red-arrow.png

When our focus is just on the mobile industry, it's perhaps easy to lose sight of the fact that Motorola isn't just a mobile device maker. Many people don't realize how many technological innovations were spear-headed by Motorola over the past several decades. In fact, it was only a few years ago that Motorola CPUs powered Apple computers before the switch to Intel. Motorola doesn't just design chips either. They have been behind some of the most important advances in radio and cellular technology as well.

In the context of that, we recently caught wind of some intriguing possibilities from Tweets by Rachid Alameh at Motorola. He is referring to wearable devices, but some of his statements suggest the company is still on the cutting edge of innovation in other areas as well. If you read between the lines of his Tweets it is probable that Motorola is now working even more closely with Google on wearable technology; however, one particular Tweet caught our attention and suggests that maybe Moto is working on a new motion based charging technology for mobile devices.

If you check out the fourth Tweet down from the top in the pic above, Mr. Alameh states, "Devices must take advantage of energy that already exists - heat, motion - to erase the need to recharge." Now, obviously this is just speculation, but it isn't too much of a leap to think that because this is on his mind, it is something Moto is working on. Perhaps some of the best innovations we will see in the next couple of years from Motorola won't be in a fancy new smartphone, but instead could be the way we charge our smartphones and more.

Source: Twitter - Motorola

Last edited:

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Don't see this working too well for phones. But for watches it could be a pretty big deal. Although I don't see the "smart" watches catching on - I don't wear one and if I did it would be a fashion statement/high-end watch and not some gaudy digital monstrosity.

xtor

Reaction score
What about solar screen?, they already have solar watches.the back of the phone could have a panel, it may not charge the phone complcompletely but it could maintain it.

11bravo

1coopgt

Reaction score
What about solar screen?, they already have solar watches.the back of the phone could have a panel, it may not charge the phone complcompletely but it could maintain it.

11bravo

So how would that work on a smart watch? The solar panel would be facing your skin . Sorry it's the way you phrased your statement . :biggrin:

Fuzzball

Reaction score
So how would that work on a smart watch? The solar panel would be facing your skin . Sorry it's the way you phrased your statement . :biggrin:

They have solar panels that are transparent enough to not be noticeable on a watch screen. On perhaps a Pebble, it may work be helpful since that watch doesn't use a whole lot of power. Regular solar panels don't have the efficiency to be put on a smartphone and make much of a difference anyways. Perhaps with the phone off it could charge the battery when it's dead and you really need to make a call.

xtor

Reaction score

Well fuzzy,in the holster the back is facing out and when I put my phone done, it's screen done to protect it from my kids:)

sent from a note yee

xtor

Reaction score
A Scientist has in improved solar panel efficiency ×100 don't know if it's in use yet or if the patent was purchased and squashed by the power companies.

sent from a note yee

hradek422

Reaction score
They already make standard watches that charge by motion. Fossil has some, I know. My girlfriend worked at Fossil and showed them all to me. The tech already exists in that field. The ability to transfer that to a Smart Watch would be pretty simple I'd think.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
They already make standard watches that charge by motion. Fossil has some, I know. My girlfriend worked at Fossil and showed them all to me. The tech already exists in that field. The ability to transfer that to a Smart Watch would be pretty simple I'd think.

I know they have some where the motion "winds" the watch, I'm less certain about it charging a battery, much less providing the power a smartwatch would require. The concept is probably not a "you'll never have to charge it" thing, but more like a few extra hours on battery.

hradek422

Reaction score
I know they have some where the motion "winds" the watch, I'm less certain about it charging a battery, much less providing the power a smartwatch would require. The concept is probably not a "you'll never have to charge it" thing, but more like a few extra hours on battery.

What you said is accurate. It has been a while since I've seen them, so I was mistaken on what they did.