Motorola CEO May Have Confirmed Moto's Plans for a $50 Smartphone

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Motorola_logo-neon-warp-blue.jpg

Motorola has made great strides in bringing the price of innovative technology in smartphones down to an affordable level. The Moto X at $399, and the Moto G at $179 ($99 on Verizon) are the vanguard of Moto's (and Google's) strategy to put an Android smartphone in the hands of as many people as possible. In fact, recent comments from Motorola's CEO Dennis Woodside suggest Motorola may push that "affordability" envelope even further. Here's what he had to say,

“In much of the world $179 is a lot of money so there’s a big market at a price point of less than $179.” He added, “We’re going to look at that and just delivering on that value promise is super important. I mean why can’t these devices be $50? There’s no reason that can’t happen so we’re going to push that.”

Those statements seem pretty definitive, despite lacking any real details. It would be an impressive feat if Motorola could offer a smartphone with decent specs at that price target. It is not out of the realm of possibility though. A few Chinese smartphone manufacturers are already very close to these numbers. We will keep an eye out for any further information on this subject.

Source: PhoneArena

xsylus

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Sony Xperia XA2 Ultra H4233
Ugh, they keep going lower and lower budget. :disappointed: They need to release a new battleship/flagship device. :lifting:

acousticshade

Reaction score
Ugh, they keep going lower and lower budget. :disappointed: They need to release a new battleship/flagship device. :lifting:

+1

Maybe this works in 3rd world countries, but here, there are ton's of $50 phone's on eBay. The bigger problem is getting an affordable plan for people that can only afford a $50 phone. One should be able to use a smartphone with a tracphone contract where you only have to pay $30 every 3 months for calls & texts and get you data from wifi.

Oh wait, the phone companies can't rape you then...forget that idea.

debbielwest

Reaction score
A $50 phone would be great! My husband and I have $100 phones, but they are 2010 models because we can't afford the latest and best phones. We are struggling, just to make our $88 monthly payments for each phone to Verizon! We live in the country where it costs more gas to get to work, we heat with wood, and we're raising a granddaughter, plus I'm disabled, unable towork, and have a lot of medical bills. it would be nice to get a break somewhere! ha! Go Motorola!!!!:icon_ banana: