Motorola's New Flagship is called the Moto X

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
...I do not think the X is a remarkable phone, and I am pretty disappointed by the amount of spin and hype that Google has put into it, without backing up the hype with ground-breaking features. Kudos to Googarola for trying, but I'm calling this one a "fail."

I see it very differently. I see it as Google/Moto recognizing that success comes not from specs, but from a good user experience AND MARKETING.

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I think we may be splitting hairs. There's no disagreement about user experience and marketing. There's also no disagreement that we're close to a ceiling on hardware (at least for now). My complaint is that the interest that Google/Motorola built up in teasing the device (see the OP) is not matched by what the device delivers. So I'm personally disappointed. However, I'll happily eat half of my hat if it becomes a commercial success. Indeed, there are plenty of examples where mediocre devices become wild successes due to extremely effective marketing. But sadly, such an outcome would just mean the "Emperor's New Clothes" metaphor applies once again.

-Matt

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
My complaint is that the interest that Google/Motorola built up in teasing the device (see the OP) is not matched by what the device delivers.

I don't know. I think the buzz they created vs. SOME people being disappointed isn't atypical from other products/manufacturers. Pretty much a textbook launch, IMO.

If they made a misstep or disappointed it was in allowing rumors of $300 off-contract to persist.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I don't know. I think the buzz they created vs. SOME people being disappointed isn't atypical from other products/manufacturers. Pretty much a textbook launch, IMO.

If they made a misstep or disappointed it was in allowing rumors of $300 off-contract to persist.

But who knows who started the rumors. There are news sites that just makes something up just to get their site quoted. I will admit I was one who was disappointed (and in some ways still am) that the specs were where they are vs the price point. I guess I wanted motorola to come with a device that dominated the competition in all areas and took its rightful place as king of android. My thought was take the improvements they made and top that with 1080p, quad core 2 gig and give us a clear cut best camera and just use that to let the other oems know what to expect from here on out.

Unreal expectations.. Eh but let's be honest many of us are waiting for Motorola to give us a clear cut dominant device that people talk about for ages (ie og droid).

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Unreal expectations.. Eh but let's be honest many of us are waiting for Motorola to give us a clear cut dominant device that people talk about for ages (ie og droid).

OG Droid had lesser specs when it debuted than the 6-mo old IPhone. :)

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
OG Droid had lesser specs when it debuted than the 6-mo old IPhone. :)

What did the iphone have specs wise that the droid didn't (minus display). If i recall specs were neck and neck except the droid was under clocked. Not saying you are wrong, just asking.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
What did the iphone have specs wise that the droid didn't (minus display). If i recall specs were neck and neck except the droid was under clocked. Not saying you are wrong, just asking.

I guess you're right. But 6 months older...Compare that to how people react now when a phone comes out that isn't better than one released just 2 months ago.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I guess you're right. But 6 months older...Compare that to how people react now when a phone comes out that isn't better than one released just 2 months ago.

Good point.

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I'll happily put myself in the "disappointed" column, but I want to be 100% clear why (and why not).

First, why not.

I'm TOTALLY OK with the hardware. It looks like a damn attractive phone to me, and if in touch-and-feel it falls somewhere between the S4 and the One that's fine by me. As far as internals, I'm also completely fine with a 720p screen, 2GB RAM, yesterday's dual core or quad core...whatever, it's all good.

And now, why I AM not so thrilled.

To be honest, I think this discussion highlights to me a fundamental assumption buried deep in my thinking, which was: Thank god Google has stepped in and bought Motorola. I'm a HUGE drinker of Googlaid -- their workplace model, their business model, and especially, the technology they develop. I think they're an awesome company. Not perfect but damn good. Now that they own Motorola's cell division, they'll have the resources to build devices that are the true physical expression of the company's ideals. I really want to own a Google phone.

But it doesn't stop there. More importantly, I assumed:

I am absolutely OK with Google building and selling a phone with yesterday's specs, as long as it has tomorrow's intelligence. You go Google -- put THE BEST PROGRAMMING YOU HAVE INTO THE X.

THAT is why I'm disappointed. I know and love Google, and this is not a Google phone. It's a "hey, let's add a few cool innovations" phone with a truckload of HYPE piled on the top. I'm not disappointed by the hype. I'm disappointed that Google didn't come close to what they're capable of. (And until anandtech or whoever demonstrates that the battery life, processing agility, and other new features are all that, as far as I'm concerned this is just more hype.)

EDIT: so yeah, I'm definitely guilty of unrealistic expectations. Or maybe that's not quite right -- I mean, look at the Glass project. IMAGINE a phone that had all the love and tender care that Google Glass is getting. I'm absolutely satisfied that Glass accurately reflects (uhoh, a pun) what Google can do. I've seen the demos and I'm also convinced that Google is not hyping Glass -- it actually is that good. Why not the same thing for a cell phone?

-Matt

Last edited:

bweN diorD

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
G2
I'll happily put myself in the "disappointed" column, but I want to be 100% clear why (and why not).

First, why not.

I'm TOTALLY OK with the hardware. It looks like a damn attractive phone to me, and if in touch-and-feel it falls somewhere between the S4 and the One that's fine by me. As far as internals, I'm also completely fine with a 720p screen, 2GB RAM, yesterday's dual core or quad core...whatever, it's all good.

And now, why I AM not so thrilled.

To be honest, I think this discussion highlights to me a fundamental assumption buried deep in my thinking, which was: Thank god Google has stepped in and bought Motorola. I'm a HUGE drinker of Googlaid -- their workplace model, their business model, and especially, the technology they develop. I think they're an awesome company. Not perfect but damn good. Now that they own Motorola's cell division, they'll have the resources to build devices that are the true physical expression of the company's ideals. I really want to own a Google phone.

But it doesn't stop there. More importantly, I assumed:

I am absolutely OK with Google building and selling a phone with yesterday's specs, as long as it has tomorrow's intelligence. You go Google -- put THE BEST PROGRAMMING YOU HAVE INTO THE X.

THAT is why I'm disappointed. I know and love Google, and this is not a Google phone. It's a "hey, let's add a few cool innovations" phone with a truckload of HYPE piled on the top. I'm not disappointed by the hype. I'm disappointed that Google didn't come close to what they're capable of. (And until anandtech or whoever demonstrates that the battery life, processing agility, and other new features are all that, as far as I'm concerned this is just more hype.)

-Matt

here is a good article if you think it has "yesterdays specs" The Moto X is not a "mid-range" device, it's top-shelf

bweN diorD

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
G2
You know, I've been thinking -- I think it's high time to change your screen name. I can't find an ounce of "newb" (however you spell it) in you or your posts! LOL

-Matt

:) :icon_ devil:

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I have to admit I underestimated the motorola mx8 processor. Feel like I was a little hard on motorola because of the not pushing it out with quad core. I want to see how it runs on the droid ultra and droid ultra maxx.