Moto G is the Highest Selling Smartphone in Moto's History

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
Moto-G-bestselling.jpg

Rick Osterloh, Motorola's Senior VP of product management, just dropped a zinger at MWC 2014. While talking about Motorola's strong commitment to Android, the upcoming Lenovo merger, and Moto's future, Rick had this to say:

The Moto G has been the most successful, highest-selling smartphone in Motorola's history

Surprising? Not at all. It's a great smartphone, priced VERY affordable in a pretty much untapped 'low end' smartphone market segment. He goes on to say that Motorola is making a profit on every sale. Cheers Moto!!

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
Listen up phone manufacturers.

Smartphone technology has been out for a while now. There are lots and lots of vendors available. There's ample supply for the demand.

No need to complicate things, keep it simple. Quad-Core, 1 Gig of Ram, 720p Screen, Attractiveness, Low Cost: Check, Check, Check, Check and Check.

Charge $600 for a phone that can make calls, play games, browse the web and login to Facebook. No thank you; you are not the only game in town.
Charge $179 for a phone that can make calls, play games, browse the web and login to Facebook. This works! Plus no need for carrier subsidies.

Motorola was on their way. If only Google gave them more time to be profitable.

livinginkaos

Reaction score
IMO Google's objective was never to make Moto profitable. Just last long enough to get full acquisition of the patents they were after. Next was to produce some plans for devices that could hit the market running - not top of the line specs, but ones that catch the eye - $'s and utility. And that's just what they've done as well as the upcoming devices. With that in mind, it positions Lenovo in a good spot to be able to make the thing profitable with lower manufacturing costs.

Moto G is top selling because with Punit's help, they have put an all out effort in launches across the globe - again, IMO.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Yeah, this is probably a great phone for like 50% of the market or more.

I'm a power user, and it just won't cut it for me. Although the only thing holding me back on the MotoX is the lack of an SD card.

My hope with Moto leaving Google is they put the sd slot back in the phone - Lenovo as a pc mfr I think understands that consumers DO like storage.

livinginkaos

Reaction score
Don't let the lack of SD get you down. There are options like meenova.com and such. I used to think that way, but it really isn't a killer thing. It seems to be the way many manf. are going and again, imo, is to promote the use of cloud storage.

I own a Moto G as well and have to say it impresses me. Actually scores higher than my X on benchmarks, but then, those are just numbers. It is a very stable device though.

jspradling7

Reaction score
I'm aware of that, but those aren't practical options for me. I think I could probably manage with the 32gig MotoX and my unlimited data.

I'm starting to think you're too attached to that Rezound to ever get a new phone. : ) The Rezound is a good little phone, you'd really like the Moto X.

OP
cereal killer

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
Cloud storage is great. I save a lot my pics, videos, music in OneDrive. I don't need a microSD card on my handsets anymore. They are like 8 tracks :)

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
I agree with CK.. I use drive and vzw cloud.. I keep lots of stuff on there except music..my reason there is because I need my music on hand for practice purposes...its a personal thing..and of course sensitive stuff stays locked down and off the cloud..

EDIT cloud storage makes swapping devices almost as pain free as an SD card..I keep it on two for the reason of..if one cloud gets compromised or last..then I have the other as a fall back..

Last edited:

combatmedic870

Reaction score
Cloud storage is great. I save a lot my pics, videos, music in OneDrive. I don't need a microSD card on my handsets anymore. They are like 8 tracks :)

For people with out unlimited data...Any cloud sucks. Also, when your without a signal(like on a airplane), you end up with a situation. Delete this or this.

GoCliffGo05

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 7
Wifi ;)

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

jackiescivic

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Cloud backup is great, for me. Soon as I connect to wifi, all new pictures get backed up. I also am on the 4gb plan, so even if I do need to download things from the cloud when wifi is not available, I don't need to worry about using too much data. I will admit though, the ability to have an external memory card would be preferred, but what if the phone gets stolen and everything is only saved on your card? It's gone for good. Cloud storage for the win :)

Sent from my Droid Maxx

OP
cereal killer

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
For people with out unlimited data...Any cloud sucks. Also, when your without a signal(like on a airplane), you end up with a situation. Delete this or this.

I don't have unlimited data and WiFi is always readily available. Do you fly a lot?

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I don't have unlimited data and WiFi is always readily available. Do you fly a lot?

I hear you ck but not everyone live in an area where WiFi is readily available. In cities businesses have them all over the place. But in rural areas, especially those that are filled with mom and pops , you not going to see a lot of business having WiFi stations. Right now att is giving its customers 10 gigs of data for the price of 4 as long as you have 2 lines. And in my area att work as good as VZW if not better. Actually att data is stronger but VZW still are better with calls. With that said the number of dropped call issues I have faced is negligible to the point I wonder why I ever feared that in the first place (of course att had issues 3 years ago with iphones dropping calls left and right). The bad pub att got during those years forced att to concentrate on their infrastructure I think that was why the were slow with getting lte out. Their focus was not in winning a boat race with VZW but making sure that when they do roll out their lte customers do not have some of the same issues that were had during the iPhone days. Either way I have been happy with att and with Tmobile nipping at them it is forcing att to be more price friendly in some areas. Of course their "jump" plan is still the biggest rip off of the 3 companies doing it but I plan on buying my next phone out right any way. With companies like moto and the nexus program curving the cost it is getting easier to buy a smart phone off contract now days.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

coolicool

Official DF Vendor
Premium Member
Reaction score
Cloud backup is great, for me. Soon as I connect to wifi, all new pictures get backed up. I also am on the 4gb plan, so even if I do need to download things from the cloud when wifi is not available, I don't need to worry about using too much data. I will admit though, the ability to have an external memory card would be preferred, but what if the phone gets stolen and everything is only saved on your card? It's gone for good. Cloud storage for the win :)

Sent from my Droid Maxx

Many other android phones have cloud storage also, Moto is not so popular in China now

Sent from iNew V3 using Tapatalk