Motorola's New Flagship is called the Moto X

Stormy Knight

Reaction score
Whose to say that this isn't still part of moto's 18 month pipeline? Chances are, Google had little to no input on this device.
This is what I'm worried about. Is this an old Moto design in the pipeline that had no, "Wow factor" from Google? The way I understood it, you won't see an impressive phone from Google/Motorola before the end of the year.

dfcfu342

Reaction score
I love how everyone is downplaying a phone they know absolutely nothing about except for the name. Its already written off and destined for failure before its even revealed.

Hugh Jass

Reaction score
I love how everyone is downplaying a phone they know absolutely nothing about except for the name. Its already written off and destined for failure before its even revealed.

Well if the rumors are true there are issues with the thing from day one which is cause for much concern IMO. First off Motorola has to drop money for R&D for all these "new and exciting" features, lots of it, and frankly they really don't really got it considering how awful their profit margin has been. They have to build the infrastructure to product the handset in the US, and they actually have to market the damn thing. This is in the order of billions to get it right, and if they don't and fail with this device I think Google will have had enough of their insolence and dissolve the company to spare the long term embarrassment of public image. And if not they should, so far Motorola has been nothing but cancer.

Then there's the physicality of the device, you have this rumored always on, always active device that is constantly sampling it's sensors to be in tune with the world. How does one power such a device? I can't make it through a full day running NO sensors with my phone not having a clue whats going on until I open Google maps or the like. How will this device hold up? Even with the battery size of the Maxx coupled with low power sensors of the future, how will you fit it all into a neat, compact, elegant design instead of a brick with terrible battery life to size ratio? There's a reason the Maxx was anything but cutting edge in it's design and features, the battery took all the space and WAS it's feature.

Without some groundbreaking use of razors edge (yea I said it) technology for battery I see this as a train-wreck waiting to happen (see:Thunderbolt). I hope I'm wrong.

cobravnm13

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note 9
How does one power such a device?

Option 1) Solar panels hard wired into the device.

Option 2) Ultra wireless charging from satellite to phone.

Option 3) Tank of a battery. Or battery of a tank.

:)

dfcfu342

Reaction score
Well if the rumors are true...

Then there's the physicality of the device, you have this rumored...

Again its all just rumors, nobody actually knows anything about it.

If it launches and fails, then everyone can bash it.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Again its all just rumors, nobody actually knows anything about it.

If it launches and fails, then everyone can bash it.

But if the rumors are true, the sensors were built from the ground up, especially for this phone and purpose. So who knows.....

I kind of think this device is supposed to be paired with googles glass...then again, I could be very wrong..

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
give me pure android phone with motorola batteries and antennas. i don't care for anything else.

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
OMG I go on the road for one short afternoon and this thread gets TOTALLY AWESOME without me. I have so much to say -- sorry in advance for the ridiculously long post.

I'm just going to lay this right here. This phone just MAY turn out to be groundbreaking, dare I say nothing we have ever seen. Google?s Moto X Phone Will Spy On You - Business Insider
Thanks CK for the super, super link. This clears up a LOT of the questions running through my mind since Woodside's "is that a phone in my pocket or am I just happy to see you?" speech the other day. My rant in response to it (i.e., "location" vs. "contextual" awareness) was admittedly sarcastic and one-sided -- since I kind of work in the area of autonomous software agents and intelligent behavior, I knew what he meant by the term contextual, but really wanted the distinction spelled out, and the Business Insider piece does it perfectly. What Googarola is doing is marrying Google's greatest strengths (data mining, sensor fusion, adaptive filtering, etc.) to what will hopefully be a major leap forward in hardware. What's (more) clear to me now (see jroc below) is that this will not be the kind of muscle-phone average geeks like us want -- if it really succeeds, the hardware itself should vanish into the woodwork, creating a seamless interface between us and our ongoing activities.

By the way, I heard a talk in 2006 from MIT's Sandy Pentland, who had already given dozens of people cell phones and gotten permission to record pretty much everything (video, sound, location, calls, etc.) they did for a few weeks. The goal of the project was basically data-mining -- what can we learn about the interconnectedness and interactions of people in a social/physical network through their daily behavior? I would definitely NOT call what Google has in mind "spying." On the other hand, this will push a lot of people's buttons regarding privacy (as it should) and definitely inspire a new wave of debate and discussion about "who owns the data."

Thank for the info. Sounds like Google Now and Smart Actions on steroids and had a baby....

Specs are getting meh now a days....features are gonna be what sets companies apart. Moto still has a way to go to try to match or keep up with Samsung's features. This will be interesting when it comes out. I stay a fan of Moto for the reception...so everything else is a bonus.
^^^ This.

[video=youtube;ZWKl-FeUApA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?annotation_id=annotation_47831&feature=iv&src_vid=BygqMgC3W10&v=ZWKl-FeUApA[/video]

^love his rant about the xphone. Though it is a few weeks old think it still applies. Because in the end some of the rumored features will be just rumors. Looking forward to seeing what google come up with.
That was beyond awesome. Favorite moment was the appearing/disappearing black rectangle aka X-phone. I also loved the round-up of rumors. I had forgotten a few, like Kawasaki and the stupid (stupid, stupid) Porsche episode. But let's be honest with ourselves -- that was not a "hypotethical" question, it was a Google/Motorola employee doing a bit of product-testing. Throw an idea out and see if it sticks. If you've ever been in a focus-group or completed a similar survey, that's how it works.

Get the new Blackberry...
Definitely NOT THIS. ^^^

The point is well-taken, and absolutely true. Still, Googarola shares some responsibility, given examples like Woodside's cloy "phone in pocket" stunt. Moments like that ARE DESIGNED TO STIR up expectations and discussion. I'd call it "chum" -- don't throw a few pieces of meat in the water, and expect only kind, friendly, fruit-eating dolphins to show up.

Then there's the physicality of the device, you have this rumored always on, always active device that is constantly sampling it's sensors to be in tune with the world. How does one power such a device? I can't make it through a full day running NO sensors with my phone not having a clue whats going on until I open Google maps or the like. How will this device hold up? Even with the battery size of the Maxx coupled with low power sensors of the future, how will you fit it all into a neat, compact, elegant design instead of a brick with terrible battery life to size ratio? There's a reason the Maxx was anything but cutting edge in it's design and features, the battery took all the space and WAS it's feature.

Without some groundbreaking use of razors edge (yea I said it) technology for battery I see this as a train-wreck waiting to happen (see:Thunderbolt). I hope I'm wrong.
I'll add another $10 to that bet. Totally agree. Speculation: maybe the hallmark of American technological innovation is to propose a concept and design a prototype that is at least 10 years beyond the current means to build, as a form of motivation. Like buying a pair of 31" jeans when you're currently 34", and you're hoping to lose those stubborn last 10lbs. We've seen this pattern over and over -- promise the moon and the stars but only deliver a small asteroid. I'll put another $10 down on this: the idea to circumvent the costs of "always-on" by dedicating a processor to it and then sipping sensor state judiciously is fine, in principle. However (excuse my Latin, but) ipso facto such a thing does not already exist (in fact, exactly the opposite is true -- we sometimes eke out an extra hour or two by TURNING OFF EVERYTHING on our phones but the PHONE ITSELF!) is compelling evidence that a phone released ANY TIME this year won't achieve it either. I'm sure it will try, but I can't see how it will deliver what it promises.

-Matt

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
OMG I go on the road for one short afternoon and this thread gets TOTALLY AWESOME without me. I have so much to say -- sorry in advance for the ridiculously long post.

Thanks CK for the super, super link. This clears up a LOT of the questions running through my mind since Woodside's "is that a phone in my pocket or am I just happy to see you?" speech the other day. My rant in response to it (i.e., "location" vs. "contextual" awareness) was admittedly sarcastic and one-sided -- since I kind of work in the area of autonomous software agents and intelligent behavior, I knew what he meant by the term contextual, but really wanted the distinction spelled out, and the Business Insider piece does it perfectly. What Googarola is doing is marrying Google's greatest strengths (data mining, sensor fusion, adaptive filtering, etc.) to what will hopefully be a major leap forward in hardware. What's (more) clear to me now (see jroc below) is that this will not be the kind of muscle-phone average geeks like us want -- if it really succeeds, the hardware itself should vanish into the woodwork, creating a seamless interface between us and our ongoing activities.

By the way, I heard a talk in 2006 from MIT's Sandy Pentland, who had already given dozens of people cell phones and gotten permission to record pretty much everything (video, sound, location, calls, etc.) they did for a few weeks. The goal of the project was basically data-mining -- what can we learn about the interconnectedness and interactions of people in a social/physical network through their daily behavior? I would definitely NOT call what Google has in mind "spying." On the other hand, this will push a lot of people's buttons regarding privacy (as it should) and definitely inspire a new wave of debate and discussion about "who owns the data."

^^^ This.

That was beyond awesome. Favorite moment was the appearing/disappearing black rectangle aka X-phone. I also loved the round-up of rumors. I had forgotten a few, like Kawasaki and the stupid (stupid, stupid) Porsche episode. But let's be honest with ourselves -- that was not a "hypotethical" question, it was a Google/Motorola employee doing a bit of product-testing. Throw an idea out and see if it sticks. If you've ever been in a focus-group or completed a similar survey, that's how it works.

Definitely NOT THIS. ^^^

The point is well-taken, and absolutely true. Still, Googarola shares some responsibility, given examples like Woodside's cloy "phone in pocket" stunt. Moments like that ARE DESIGNED TO STIR up expectations and discussion. I'd call it "chum" -- don't throw a few pieces of meat in the water, and expect only kind, friendly, fruit-eating dolphins to show up.

I'll add another $10 to that bet. Totally agree. Speculation: maybe the hallmark of American technological innovation is to propose a concept and design a prototype that is at least 10 years beyond the current means to build, as a form of motivation. Like buying a pair of 31" jeans when you're currently 34", and you're hoping to lose those stubborn last 10lbs. We've seen this pattern over and over -- promise the moon and the stars but only deliver a small asteroid. I'll put another $10 down on this: the idea to circumvent the costs of "always-on" by dedicating a processor to it and then sipping sensor state judiciously is fine, in principle. However (excuse my Latin, but) ipso facto such a thing does not already exist (in fact, exactly the opposite is true -- we sometimes eke out an extra hour or two by TURNING OFF EVERYTHING on our phones but the PHONE ITSELF!) is compelling evidence that a phone released ANY TIME this year won't achieve it either. I'm sure it will try, but I can't see how it will deliver what it promises.

-Matt

Good post.

At this point it is hard to know where google is looking to do as they want to continue to be competitive in the market. Yes they are an ad agency and they have loaded their google devices with as many google services as possible to link software while using it to sell more ad space. Google make take the chance and go fishing with a device loaded with sensors but is they do they will have to advertise it in a way that benefits customers (ie fitness apps, weather apps, schedule helper etc) and see what the backlash will be if any. If people begin to feel like their privacy is being evaded then the backlash could be a poor sale.

I personally think we are looking to hard into this device though. Just like with the thunderbolt and other rumored "super phones" our imagination seems to run wild at times. And though it is ok to dream we have to be careful to not build up so much to then be let down when we see it only to feel like an awesome phone did not meet our expectations. I see the motorola x phone just using smart actions and gps to help manage your device better. If every time you go to location a (which is work) you turn on wifi, go through your itinerary, and then set the device in a corner smart actions may automatically turn wifi on when you get there, have the itinerary app opened, and then go into a low power mode. Location b (gym/fitness club) it automatically plays your workout playlist the moment you connect your headphones and uses its sensors to monitor temperature, amount of steps taken, and potential calories burned.

I could really see motorola pushing smart action technology to making the customers phone revolve around their day.

Hugh Jass

Reaction score
Good points, but you seem to still be stuck on this Googarola moniker, which brings up my next point as to why this device will likely plunder it's own name. Google has flatfoot abandoned their work on the X-Phone, no if's and's or but's about it. Google had a vision of a super futuristic device, they sold this dream to Motorola under the impression that a company with the capability for creative innovation has the potential for the dream where Motorola wasn't a mistake, they suddenly turn the market on it's head and deliver a fantastic Googlistic experience to the masses.

Google gave up, handed the keys to Motorola and said "never-mind, you can't deliver after-all." and walked home. That to me is the most terrifying fact of all, that even Google with so much riding on this device being a blockbuster hit, and having the capital to make it happen if they asked a box of lava rocks to make it happen... and still gave up.

Make no mistake... the reason the X is even a great idea in our minds was because Google had a hand, not because Motorola could do it on their own. We all still have this expectation, and frankly the reveal of this device will even disappoint those not in the market for a phone at all.

Again, hope I'm wrong.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Good points, but you seem to still be stuck on this Googarola moniker, which brings up my next point as to why this device will likely plunder it's own name. Google has flatfoot abandoned their work on the X-Phone, no if's and's or but's about it. Google had a vision of a super futuristic device, they sold this dream to Motorola under the impression that a company with the capability for creative innovation has the potential for the dream where Motorola wasn't a mistake, they suddenly turn the market on it's head and deliver a fantastic Googlistic experience to the masses.

Google gave up, handed the keys to Motorola and said "never-mind, you can't deliver after-all." and walked home. That to me is the most terrifying fact of all, that even Google with so much riding on this device being a blockbuster hit, and having the capital to make it happen if they asked a box of lava rocks to make it happen... and still gave up.

Make no mistake... the reason the X is even a great idea in our minds was because Google had a hand, not because Motorola could do it on their own. We all still have this expectation, and frankly the reveal of this device will even disappoint those not in the market for a phone at all.

Again, hope I'm wrong.

Droid Bionic owner yup that sounds right ;).

Just messing with you. I think many of us in the back of our minds are thinking the same thing. Motorola have either hit a home run or struck out looking that has been their m.o the past few years if not their entire existence. The razr flip phone was a home run only to be looking at their own mortality at the time of the droid. Thanks to a few lucky marketing breaks the og droid becomes a big name hit and they become relevant again only to stop listening to the fans and continue to fall on their face listening to vzw. To go from a army of motorola followers begging you to give us something worth buying and yet to see phones like the bionic release late after the first bionic had hardware issues. Then to release the razr and chase it with the razr maxx later. It is like motorola just can not seem to get right.
woodbinephoto.gif

Motorola fans are abandoning ship left and right. It is like every year you see HTC release a flagship device then Samsung only to have motorola release a device late with specs that is like meh. I think many of us are quietly expecting that about time motorola release this "super x-phone" it will be with specs that rivals last years samsung flagship device. It's like..."motorola that's it im done I cant keep rooting for you guys any more". And just as every body has packed up and about moved on they some how get lucky again and pull out another eyes closed home run.

519a7584d5488.image.jpg

Hugh Jass

Reaction score
Could very well be.

As for my Bionic, I have zero regrets. I have had a positive experience, the device is solid, good performance, decent battery life, and most of all the screen. Not the highest resolution but the technology is the only one out there that can function in bright sunlight, which is an absolute necessity for me as a contractor and I have no idea what I'm going to do when I have to upgrade and replace it with a 1080P HD that turns into a mirror outside. That said, it was late to the game, it did have it's issues, but it wasn't a ball dropper by any means for me. My issues with them sound a lot like yours, they save their collective ass only to remain in a state of crisis until the next lucky break.

But I think this time their lucky break was riding on a Google phone, and they don't have a Google phone no more.

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Good points, but you seem to still be stuck on this Googarola moniker, which brings up my next point as to why this device will likely plunder it's own name. Google has flatfoot abandoned their work on the X-Phone, no if's and's or but's about it.
I think you're highlighting a crucial point, and it probably explains differences in expectations/predictions. I've been assuming since Google bought Motorola Mobility that (a) Google would really take over the cell-phone division (e.g., Larry Page on August 15, 2011, "We will run Motorola as a separate business."), and (b) the Motorola of days past would cease to exist. (Disclaimer: I probably took Page's comment a bit out of context -- I'm putting the emphasis on "run" but Page put it on "separate," i.e., that running MM wouldn't influence Google's business model, Android would stay open, etc.).

Anyway, I really can't say if my assumption was totally ignorant and naive, or on the money, but so far I've looked at quotes like "we have to get the old phones out of the pipeline" to mean that once old inventory was sold off, Google would come in and "do their magic." I'm still (ignorantly?) hopeful that we'll see that transformation, and that if the X doesn't wow us enough, the next generation will certainly do a better job.

On a distantly-related note: it's also been hinted here a few times and I totally agree that Google's long-term vision is to merge cell phones and Glasses -- I'm assuming in 2-3 years the cell phones we carry around will be more like portable CPUs that mostly gather ambient data from multiple sensors, do a bit of local computing, but typically feed the data back into the cloud and then bring the "answers" back, e.g.,

User: Hey Google, do you recognize that red car over there?
GoogleChipPlantedInYourHead: It's a 2009 Ferrari.
User: How much does it cost?
GCPIYH: About $150,000 in good condition.
User: Wow, pretty expensive.
GCPIYH: Would you like to see something less expensive?
User: Naah...I'm kind of hungry. Is there a pizza place nearby?...

-Matt

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure what people really expect. Smartphones have become mostly commodities - they are all pretty much the same, some might come out a little "sooner" on the tech curve than others...but I don't see anything about Samsung phones, for example, that remotely "blows away" Moto/HTC/etc..

The sort of phone everyone wants to see won't come out tomorrow, or even 6 months from now because it's cost prohibitive. It would have to be priced too high to sell.