Motorola Droid Broke / Warranty Questions

Scoobz

Reaction score
Need cell phone advice regarding warranties and what not.

I have had a Motorola Droid since November of 09. I can upgrade in July. I can actually use an upgrade on a family plan if need be but the phones I want won't be out till early, mid summer (Bionic) so I would really like to avoid that.

BUT

My Motorola Droid took a spill today. Nothing cracked, but the screen doesn't work. The soft touch buttons light up, and based on memorization of where certain things are on the screen I can still tell it works based on the feedback vibration when I unlock the phone. Just the screen doesn't turn on. I have insurance, called and talked to a guy on the phone. Here's where the situation gets murky.

I have two choices apparently. Use my insurance policy thing but that has like a 90 dollar deductible. Not bad but its more then the 50 I've paid before. But the guy on the phone went on to say it could be covered under my extended warranty. He had me check the battery, no water damage. The keyboard is fine. No cracks on the screen. He said that shows no sign of user abuse (he knows I dropped it). He went on to say he will overnight me a new phone and I will have to send back the old one. They will check my phone and make sure there is no user abuse. Great..... then I realized... my phone is rooted. That voids the warranty. He was telling me that if they find user abuse I get charged 300 dollars for the new phone? I don't even have the choice to say "No thanks, here's your new phone back I'll take my broken one back." I actually think he sent the phone. I should probably get it tomorrow, but I am afraid to send my phone in.. Maybe just send them back the new phone if you guys tell me they will discover my root.

With the screen broken do you think I am at risk with the phone being rooted? Will they discover that since they can't see the screen? When I get the phone on Monday should I call them and say " Whoops, my old phone started working! I don't need that phone anymore!" and then find a different route? Or do you think I will be cool?

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I don't know how you rooted, but here's a couple links

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/hacking-faqs/39254-sbf-root-unroot.html

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/re...08-multiple-phones-root-them-unroot-them.html

Other additional resources in the rescue squad section.

Good Luck !!

It would be kinda hard to tell if you're at the bootloader with no display.
OP, you should refuse the warranty shipment and just file an insurance claim. $90 is cheaper than $300.

This thread has been Thunder struck!!

aristoid

Reaction score
Point taken, I stand corrected.

I seemed to remember posts earlier about SBF'ing a phone whose screen didn't work. It seems I misremembered.

And yes, paying insurance is much cheaper than paying a 'damaged phone' fee!!

OP
S

Scoobz

Reaction score
I received the package today and if I had been home I would have just refused the package but my roommate signed for it.

Do you think if I just send the new phone back instead of my damaged phone it will be like nothing happened? There'd be no damaged phone for them to even consider charging me for, correct? If I drop that in the mail today could I then call the insurance claim place this evening or should I give the package a week or so?

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
OG Droid right?

I think that if you pulled the battery then held dpad up+power you would be able to tell you were in the bootloader just by checking RSDLite.

But hey that's just me.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

OP
S

Scoobz

Reaction score
I've always been one to just follow online guides to get my root. Is RSDLite an app that runs on my PC and if I have my phone plugged in via USB it can read it? From there what order would I hit buttons?

Or if that doesn't work my question from two posts up still stands.

Thanks for the help guys.

OP
S

Scoobz

Reaction score
bumpity bump bump

Any help would be appreciated on using the RSDLite and getting it back to factory default if that is possible. OG Droid

jaxenroth

Reaction score
Just send it back rooted and broken. They are not going to replace the LCD and power up your phone to check for root. They will trouble shoot your phone, do the repair, replace cosmetic blemishes, wipe data reinstall os and send that phone back out as a replacement. If they ever question you about root( which they never will) play dumb, say you got an ota message from vzw and you followed the message instructions. Done. Gotta be slick.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

A

abn75

Just send it back rooted and broken. They are not going to replace the LCD and power up your phone to check for root. They will trouble shoot your phone, do the repair, replace cosmetic blemishes, wipe data reinstall os and send that phone back out as a replacement. If they ever question you about root( which they never will) play dumb, say you got an ota message from vzw and you followed the message instructions. Done. Gotta be slick.

And its no wonder they are doing all they can to keep us from rooting the phones. Be honest OP refuse the warranty replacement and pay the insurance fee. You rooted and knowingly voided your warranty.

Sent from my DX running. DS V4.2

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
bumpity bump bump

Any help would be appreciated on using the RSDLite and getting it back to factory default if that is possible. OG Droid

Hint, hint.

Look in the Droid Labs section.

sajgel

Reaction score
If they know you dropped the phone. They may bill you for the phone. If there is any small dent or scrape or blemish, they may bill it to you. The best bet is to return the replcmnt phone back and do the Insurance claim. If you do the insurance claim, you might even get the D2.

Travis798

Reaction score

And its no wonder they are doing all they can to keep us from rooting the phones. Be honest OP refuse the warranty replacement and pay the insurance fee. You rooted and knowingly voided your warranty.

And you should have no warranty on your car if you change the factory radio and your back axle breaks.

Rooting your phone does not cause hardware problems, with maybe the exception of processor damage on rooted phones. If a phone has a screen that quits working, that would be covered under an extended warranty if the phone were stock, it should still be covered if it is rooted. If someone roots their phone, bricks it, sends it in, and moto finds that failure was directly caused by rooting, you should have to pay for the replacement.

A

abn75

And you should have no warranty on your car if you change the factory radio and your back axle breaks.

Rooting your phone does not cause hardware problems, with maybe the exception of processor damage on rooted phones. If a phone has a screen that quits working, that would be covered under an extended warranty if the phone were stock, it should still be covered if it is rooted. If someone roots their phone, bricks it, sends it in, and moto finds that failure was directly caused by rooting, you should have to pay for the replacement.

What should be and what is, two very different things. Do I agree? No. Do I think they should change the policy? Yes. Should we abide by their policy even if we don't agree with it? Yes

bplewis24

Reaction score
OG Droid right?

I think that if you pulled the battery then held dpad up+power you would be able to tell you were in the bootloader just by checking RSDLite.

But hey that's just me.

My thought as well.

Besides, if the screen doesn't work, what is Verizon going to do to check for "user abuse"?

I honestly wouldn't care, since rooting had zero to do with his current problem. If I brick my phone while rooting there's no way I'd try and replace it under warranty. Something like this gives me no ethical nor moral pause.

Brandon