Damaged Screen Warranty Return Charge

ejcrossl

Reaction score
Has anyone returned a phone on warranty w/ a cracked screen and been charged the $300 for it?
I have a fascinate that is not working properly (texts not coming through, freezing, rebooting). I talked through trying to get it working properly w/ phone support, but no luck. They are sending a replacement, but I have a crack in the screen.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Cracked screen isn't a warranty issue. It's an insurance matter.

OP
ejcrossl

ejcrossl

Reaction score
The cracked screen is not the issue w/ the phone. The screen actually works great.
Don't have insurance on the phone.

Byakushiki

Reaction score
They'd probably charge $125 to fix it (if you wanted to get it fixed), but I'm not so sure, since you were lucky enough to get a replacement. I wasn't so lucky with my D1, and its screen is still broken, to this day.

TyrantII

Reaction score
DYI, just swapped out my screen digitizer today.

Sounds like they're assuming whatever cracked the screen, also is the cause of the other issues you're claiming is a warranty issue. Might be hard to argue otherwise.

OP
ejcrossl

ejcrossl

Reaction score
Well I haven't sent it back in yet. I looked into swapping the screen out, but it will cost $135. They just told me when they sent the new phone out that upon return if it is damaged that they will charge me $300. I wondered if anyone has "tested the water" yet. I think in March they enacted a new policy on what constitutes an eligible phone for warranty return.
I agree, really no way to argue that the whatever caused the cracked screen caused the issues other than that I know it was working fine until the Froyo update. Since then it has been a nightmare.

pammy

Reaction score
My daughter is in the same boat and I was wondering if anyone actually got charged after they sent their phone back. She has a cracked screen too.

I know that their policy is to charge, but I haven't heard of anyone that actually did get charged unless they never sent the phone back at all.

Just curious how you made out.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Cracked screens are not covered by warranty. They don't repair the device you send in. They send out a refurb. You can't get the cracked screen covered by warranty regardless of whether your warranty issues are caused by the cracked screen or not.

sst45jeff

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
Cracked screens are not covered by warranty. They don't repair the device you send in. They send out a refurb. You can't get the cracked screen covered by warranty regardless of whether your warranty issues are caused by the cracked screen or not.

He is not asking if he can get the phone replaced under warranty for the cracked screen.
He is asking if Verizon is going to charge him when he sends the phone back on another warranty issue because the screen is cracked.

vatothe0

Reaction score
Yes they will charge you. You'll get an email with pictures of the box you sent it in, the cracked screen and the esn/meid.