Cracked Motorola Droid screen

rtlange268

Reaction score
I've been following news on this site ever since I first purchased the Droid back in December, but now after 5 months my once perfect Droid now has a large number of cracks throughout the screen due to a rough Tuesday night. The phone itself still works fine for running apps and regular usage, but the cracks definitely are distracting when using it. From looking around online I know that the warranty doesn't cover cracked screens, so my question is has anyone else broken their screen? And if so how did you get it replaced? Was it pricey? (I'm thinking most likely it will be..) Thanks in advance

Reaction score
If I'm not mistaken, you can order insurance for the phone from a call or text from the phone itself. Now I may be wrong, but I'm almost positive you can still order insurance and file a claim.

OP
R

rtlange268

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, I have the Asurion Wireless Phone Protection plan but I'm not sure if a cracked screen is covered in the plan or not. I'll look into it but I know its $89 just for the deductible

jayb

Reaction score
It is covered I had to get mine replaced unfortunately.

darksiiide

Reaction score
I thought the screen was gorilla glass? Pretty much unbreakable and scratchproof? I guess its nice to know this now.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

nerdbox08

Reaction score
I thought the screen was gorilla glass? Pretty much unbreakable and scratchproof? I guess its nice to know this now.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

There have been several threads about this, debates if you will.

Gorilla Glass is a highly RESISTANT glass, not bullet proof.

Even though you see the videos of keys not being able to scratch the glass, many users have reported debris similar to sand in their pocket that has scratched the screen. Several owners have also gotten cracks from dropping it, but it appears more to be hitting the phone at a certain angle/spot to cause stress across the plate of glass opposed to applying direct force to it.

Guchi

Reaction score
mine broke once too
guchi-albums-my-cracked-screen-picture248-picsay-1261292171.jpg

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
When my dad showed me his incredible he said they put a protective scratch screen on it...

We were at dinner so I took a fork to my droid glass... no marks.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, I have the Asurion Wireless Phone Protection plan but I'm not sure if a cracked screen is covered in the plan or not. I'll look into it but I know its $89 just for the deductible
Sure it does. You can always look up the info online yourself (or call 611):
Verizon Lookup

When my dad showed me his incredible he said they put a protective scratch screen on it...

We were at dinner so I took a fork to my droid glass... no marks.
The scratching material needs to be harder than the screen material. Keys are not and I'm guessing your fork wasn't either.

Last edited:

bamfsig45

Reaction score
I thought the deductible was 90.00 for the Droid.

Mine saying 50.00, is that an error?

Wireless Number **********
Manufacturer MOTOROLA
Model DROID
Deductible $50.00
Monthly Fee $4.99

jayb

Reaction score
Mine was only 50 also.........You probably got " grandfathered " in on that price. That is what they told me.........I only paid the 50 ded. also.

ausstone

Reaction score
Check this out...A little too much fun on a Friday night.

& I ordered an insurance replacement...got a refurbished one. The refurbished lost it's touch ability so I called Asurion...I was SUPER nice to the guy on the phone and the next day--I got a brand new droid in the verizon box. I was very surprised.

Badadio

Reaction score
This happened to me as well and I was able to obtain a refurbished Droid for 50 bucks just by calling VZW and talking to a representative.

This begs the question, however, if there is a protective device out there to help protect the fragile-as-eggs screen?

jayb

Reaction score
Just seen that " Directfix " will have another shipment of screens in soon.

If you want to take the time to do it that way , it might save you some $$.

And I got a brand new Droid when I got mine replaced. They didnt have any refurb's at the time.........Lucky me dancedroid

Detonation

Reaction score