Motorola Droid 2.1

Status
Not open for further replies.

flavious27

Reaction score
It will work on AT&T as well as T-Mobile. It won't work with Verizon. It's mainly the hardware that makes this determination as they didn't make it a "world" phone with a SIM card nor CDMA.

No it won't.

It will work on t-mobile, but it will not connect to either at&t's or rogers' 3g service.

flavious27

Reaction score
The 3G frequencies are that of T-Mobile.

So you can use the phone on AT&T, but you won't have 3G.

You will not be able to use the phone on Verizon's network as it isn't CDMA.

Not until the spring when a vzw version will be released.

mr_blonde56

Reaction score
So when 2.1 comes around will it fix the crazy copy/paste function that haunts me when I try to copy info from an email?

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
RIM has been releasing mirror images of the same device over and over and over for years. I want to see them fall, in the consumer market, because they need to innovate, to move forward. Their OS is clunky and their devices are old. Time to move forward.
i agree somewhat....im a former RIM user and was diehard till I got the droid.....they need to catch up with the rest of the world
Former diehard BB user here as well... they let the consumer market develop without them. Storm 1 and 2 = FAIL. OS 5.0 = EPIC FAIL
I think they will be, VZW doesnt release updates if they dont feel like they are up to par/ they have too many bugs.... I think they are really stepping this up after BB 4.7 was released because it was a complete bust. Google and moto seem to have their **** together, evidence being how quick 2.01 was out. RIM has obviously been a different story in recent times.

RIM/Blackberry is, IMO on their last leg. They have been loosing market share to EVERYONE for years and once Android phones catch up I don't see the 'business professional' (or whatever RIM defines as the Target Group) being large enough to sustain them against competition. Many IT and other business professionals I know have all abandoned their Blackberry's for WM, iPhones and a few Droids because of their increasing limited capabilities (when compared to their competition). Most IT departments now support numerous devices and therefore people are not locked into a Blackberry for 'work use' and the results are showing. This was evident by RIMs pathetic attempt to bring the Blackberry's to normal consumers (devices like the Storm and the flip-berry, or whatever it was called). Personally I say look for Pre to be done-for this year (for all practical purposes) and RIM within 2 years. Or maybe that's just wishful thinking, lol.

I think RIM noticed their mistakes and are working on it honestly, If they dont do anything they are definitely done for, they have been used to relying on business for a long time and now after the storm flopped I think they realized they cant. They did buy a webkit company and are supposedly working on widgets...then again they seem to get to the party once everyone else has left (see integrating google gears into storm2)
I don't think BB will go anywhere in the business world, not anytime soon at least, but as far as consumer market, they're behind the times and won't catch up. Look at their attempt.... OS 5.0... junk... and Storm... junk.
I predict that RIM will deliver some nice devices within the next 2 years...I came from a storm and always loved BB's...they're durable in my opinion and user friendly to people that don't need all the fancy stuff...it seems like RIM always catches up with the competition sooner or later...
It's later.... RIM would need to...
1. Completely abandon their java based platform. It's old school technology and is limiting.
2. Completely abandon their RIM servers. Many of the people I had pushed BB to are now saying they want to get rid of their BB device because of constant outages. Every piece of data a BB receives/sends HAS to go thru RIM's internal servers. The middle man is not needed for consumers. It has it's place to ensure security in the business world.... but this un-needed re-route will be the death of BB's consumer growth. Outages hurt BB big time.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
1. Completely abandon their java based platform. It's old school technology and is limiting.

You do realize all programs on Android are Java based, right?
Yes I do. While I don't know the details about RIM's java platform I know it's not done in the same manner as Android.
Glad you pointed this out. I'm not knocking Java at all... maybe RIM just needs to optimize the way they use it?

Reaction score

Yes I do. While I don't know the details about RIM's java platform I know it's not done in the same manner as Android.
Glad you pointed this out. I'm not knocking Java at all... maybe RIM just needs to optimize the way they use it?

Well android os is based off of linux. Java programs used as a platform require a lot of optimization though. I would blaame the programmers way before the language itself. However I can say with experience it can be frustrating

technologic

Reaction score
Android uses the Dalvik virtual machine and RIM does not...

It is optimized for low memory requirements, and is designed to allow multiple VM instances to run at once, relying on the underlying operating system for process isolation, memory management and threading support. Dalvik is often referred to as a Java Virtual Machine, but this is not strictly accurate, as the bytecode on which it operates is not Java bytecode. Instead, a tool named dx, included in the Android SDK, transforms the Java Class files of Java classes compiled by a regular Java compiler into another class file format (the .dex format).

Android programs are compiled into .dex (Dalvik Executable) files, which are in turn zipped into a single .apk (Android Package) file on the device. .dex files can be created by automatically translating compiled applications written in the Java programming language.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Well android os is based off of linux. Java programs used as a platform require a lot of optimization though. I would blaame the programmers way before the language itself. However I can say with experience it can be frustrating
Thanks for clarifying. I wasn't trying to knock java at all... sorry if it came off that way. My gripe is with BB not java :)
Android uses the Dalvik virtual machine and RIM does not...

It is optimized for low memory requirements, and is designed to allow multiple VM instances to run at once, relying on the underlying operating system for process isolation, memory management and threading support. Dalvik is often referred to as a Java Virtual Machine, but this is not strictly accurate, as the bytecode on which it operates is not Java bytecode. Instead, a tool named dx, included in the Android SDK, transforms the Java Class files of Java classes compiled by a regular Java compiler into another class file format (the .dex format).

Android programs are compiled into .dex (Dalvik Executable) files, which are in turn zipped into a single .apk (Android Package) file on the device. .dex files can be created by automatically translating compiled applications written in the Java programming language.
Thanks for the knowledge bomb guys! At least now I understand how java platforms can vary. Thanks again!

LrdElderon

Reaction score

True, most of the programs are strictly java, but the NDK lets devs use native programming languages such as c and c++ to optimize certain portions of their program as well as utilize certain libs and graphic options like opengl. You can't create your whole program from it, but it can run more than java.... to an extent....

yes I know I'm nit picking, I'm sorry. It's this waiting for 2.1 thing ..grrrr lol

LuN3yDaV3

Reaction score
Android 2.1 SDK just released to developers. I'd expect the update notification to be coming soon!

mapexvenus

Reaction score
Android 2.1 SDK just released to developers. I'd expect the update notification to be coming soon!

Really? In the Apple world the actual OS update is pushed to users several months after the SDK is released. I assume that this is so that developers can port their apps to the new OS, and write new appsa before users get the update.

LrdElderon

Reaction score
Yep it's. Officially out folk's. .......... happy dance time wooooo

So released late on 1/11 gives moto a week or two to work with it, jan 22 sounds like it might actually be a feasible ota date perhaps! Either way this is kickass news.

Status
Not open for further replies.