Motorola Droid 2.1

Status
Not open for further replies.

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
Not sure how much work Verizon is really doing on this. I imagine the porting is all in Motorola's hands to complete. Verizon will just push it to the users. My speculation anyway.

I'm willing to bet Verizon is involved quite a bit. They are the ones that will be dealing with all the complaints once it's pushed so they will be sure to give it a thorough run through. They also have far more at stake seeing as it could cost them customers and accounts. I also doubt Moto has enough active devices to thoroughly test it w/o the help of Verizon.

Then again this is my first Motorola phone in over 6 years because I, until now, HATED their phones. Specifically their lack luster OS(s) and lack of concern/support for known issues and complaints. I hope this has changed over the years. Guess we'll learn soon enough. I hope I didn't make a mistake not sticking with HTC (they, IME were exceptional in the support of their devices).

Benton

Reaction score
I agree that Verizon has more than just one hand in validating 2.1 before the OTA push, it is their business being impacted. The added work of building the upgrade around existing users has got to be a huge effort and quite complex given the ever increasing number of applications being installed. I am guessing the OTA rollout will take longer than the 2.01 version as there are probably twice the number of devices to be upgraded this time through.

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
I agree that Verizon has more than just one hand in validating 2.1 before the OTA push, it is their business being impacted. The added work of building the upgrade around existing users has got to be a huge effort and quite complex given the ever increasing number of applications being installed. I am guessing the OTA rollout will take longer than the 2.01 version as there are probably twice the number of devices to be upgraded this time through.

Not only that I'm betting they wait for the apps to catch up. Currently a lot of people running cooked 2.1 ROMs have a lot of problems with apps not running.

Small rant: if you are one of these people please do NOT put up a poor review of the app because it doesn't work for you, you are running a version of the OS NOT OFFICIALLY RELEASED, that's on YOU, NOT THEM. I'm tired of seeing people rate a program with 1 star because "doesn't work on 2.1".... especially when it otherwise has great reviews (4-5 stars) end of rant.:icon_ devil:

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score

Not only that I'm betting they wait for the apps to catch up. Currently a lot of people running cooked 2.1 ROMs have a lot of problems with apps not running.

Small rant: if you are one of these people please do NOT put up a poor review of the app because it doesn't work for you, you are running a version of the OS NOT OFFICIALLY RELEASED, that's on YOU, NOT THEM. I'm tired of seeing people rate a program with 1 star because "doesn't work on 2.1".... especially when it otherwise has great reviews (4-5 stars) end of rant.:icon_ devil:
Even some of the 2.1 programs (like the Launcher) don't run perfectly on the Droid as of now. With the new Launcher/App drawer the app draw does not display the top row of icons in landscape and it glitches (in landscape) when trying to tap the dots to the next screen, it constantly opens the app drawer. But I expect these things... they're not official :)

jodyberry

Reaction score
I agree that Verizon has more than just one hand in validating 2.1 before the OTA push, it is their business being impacted. .

Agreed.

I waited and waited and WAITED for Verizon to approve updates on my old BB Storm. I hope they're quicker with the Android OS!!

ips

Reaction score
I think they will be, VZW doesnt release updates if they dont feel like they are up to par/ they have too many bugs.... I think they are really stepping this up after BB 4.7 was released because it was a complete bust. Google and moto seem to have their **** together, evidence being how quick 2.01 was out. RIM has obviously been a different story in recent times.

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
I think they will be, VZW doesnt release updates if they dont feel like they are up to par/ they have too many bugs.... I think they are really stepping this up after BB 4.7 was released because it was a complete bust. Google and moto seem to have their **** together, evidence being how quick 2.01 was out. RIM has obviously been a different story in recent times.

RIM/Blackberry is, IMO on their last leg. They have been loosing market share to EVERYONE for years and once Android phones catch up I don't see the 'business professional' (or whatever RIM defines as the Target Group) being large enough to sustain them against competition. Many IT and other business professionals I know have all abandoned their Blackberry's for WM, iPhones and a few Droids because of their increasing limited capabilities (when compared to their competition). Most IT departments now support numerous devices and therefore people are not locked into a Blackberry for 'work use' and the results are showing. This was evident by RIMs pathetic attempt to bring the Blackberry's to normal consumers (devices like the Storm and the flip-berry, or whatever it was called). Personally I say look for Pre to be done-for this year (for all practical purposes) and RIM within 2 years. Or maybe that's just wishful thinking, lol.

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score

RIM/Blackberry is, IMO on their last leg. They have been loosing market share to EVERYONE for years and once Android phones catch up I don't see the 'business professional' (or whatever RIM defines as the Target Group) being large enough to sustain them against competition. Many IT and other business professionals I know have all abandoned their Blackberry's for WM, iPhones and a few Droids because of their increasing limited capabilities (when compared to their competition). Most IT departments now support numerous devices and therefore people are not locked into a Blackberry for 'work use' and the results are showing. This was evident by RIMs pathetic attempt to bring the Blackberry's to normal consumers (devices like the Storm and the flip-berry, or whatever it was called). Personally I say look for Pre to be done-for this year (for all practical purposes) and RIM within 2 years. Or maybe that's just wishful thinking, lol.

Other than some adolescent cheering for a "win," I can't understand why anyone would wish to see RIM/Blackberry or for that matter the Apple/iPhone or WM phones to fail in the marketplace. It's the competition among hardware/software vendors that provides consumers with a range of choices and spurs innovation.

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
Other than some adolescent cheering for a "win," I can't understand why anyone would wish to see RIM/Blackberry or for that matter the Apple/iPhone or WM phones to fail in the marketplace. It's the competition among hardware/software vendors that provides consumers with a range of choices and spurs innovation.

In theory yes. In practice though to much competition or to little stagnates the market and deprives companies of capital needed to make gains and bring that 'innovation' to the market place. I'm not "cheering for a win" just giving an opinion based on what I've seen. CNET and many industry sources have also speculated that Palm will not survive much longer with the lack-luster Pre failing well short of their expectations. Palm (which early devices, under USRobotics) did GREAT things for the PDA market has served it's purpose and now needs to step aside and make room for companies that can advance the market. RIM also did GREAT things for the 'smartphone' category and, honestly drove the smart-phone market to the heights that it is today. But again, they have had little to NO innovation for years and have done little to advance the segment.

These two companies have now become stagnate are content to copy others ('oh, they have a touch-screen, guess we need a touch screen') rather than to actually lead their markets.

Of course this is just MY opinion. As with all attempts to foresee what will happen in the Tech realm it's a 'wild guess' at best (ROFL, see CNETs annual 'predictions' for proof).

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
RIM has been releasing mirror images of the same device over and over and over for years. I want to see them fall, in the consumer market, because they need to innovate, to move forward. Their OS is clunky and their devices are old. Time to move forward.

92slammer

Reaction score
RIM has been releasing mirror images of the same device over and over and over for years. I want to see them fall, in the consumer market, because they need to innovate, to move forward. Their OS is clunky and their devices are old. Time to move forward.
i agree somewhat....im a former RIM user and was diehard till I got the droid.....they need to catch up with the rest of the world

ips

Reaction score

I think RIM noticed their mistakes and are working on it honestly, If they dont do anything they are definitely done for, they have been used to relying on business for a long time and now after the storm flopped I think they realized they cant. They did buy a webkit company and are supposedly working on widgets...then again they seem to get to the party once everyone else has left (see integrating google gears into storm2)

natediddy1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
I predict that RIM will deliver some nice devices within the next 2 years...I came from a storm and always loved BB's...they're durable in my opinion and user friendly to people that don't need all the fancy stuff...it seems like RIM always catches up with the competition sooner or later...

Status
Not open for further replies.