Moto Z4 General Discussions

Gudasau

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Z-Force
Thanks for being so patient with a Moto challenged user. How do I enable Developer Options?

My 1995 Motorola bag phone didn't have any of these issues, sheese. o_O
Sajo is patient AND extremely helpful.
I'm limping along in an oldie, but you should be able to go into settings > system > developer options.
Good luck!

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

OP
Sajo

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
It's a little different on newer phonea.

Settings > System > About Phone > find the Build Number > tap Build Number 10 times rapidly. You should see a pop-up message that you are now a developer. Reboot / restart and you will have Icon Shape options in your Launcher / Home app Settings as discussed earlier.

And FYI...this is not new to 9.0 Pie as I read in a Google search yesterday. I had to re- setup my Z2 Force this morning to resolve an issue with my Google account & my Chromebook. Out if curiosity I checked for App Icon Shape and it was not there, and that is on a Z2 running Oreo 8.0. As soon as I enabled Developer Options on my old Z2 Force the app icon shape option appeared. So this changed before Android 9 Pie, at least in the Moto Launchers.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

tomthbomb

Reaction score
Sajo is patient AND extremely helpful.
I'm limping along in an oldie, but you should be able to go into settings > system > developer options.
Good luck!

Went to: settings > system > Bam, brick wall, developer options not there.

OP
Sajo

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Went to: settings > system > Bam, brick wall, developer options not there.
Settings > System > About Phone > find the Build Number > tap Build Number 10 times rapidly. You should see a pop-up message that you are now a developer. Reboot / restart and you will have Icon Shape options in your Launcher / Home app Settings as discussed earlier.

Gudasau

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Z-Force

Dang, they don't make it easy. Sorry, I tried.

OP
Sajo

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Dang, they don't make it easy. Sorry, I tried.

It's all good. A lot of the Settings options changed again with 9.0 Pie.

Gudasau

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Z-Force
It's all good. A lot of the Settings options changed again with 9.0 Pie.

I'm wondering if I had to do that back when mine was new. Been too long -- can't remember.
How are you liking the phone @Sajo? I'm still on the fence. Need something, but just not feeling the excitement with the 4....

OP
Sajo

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I like it a lot. Nice screen, I really like the full screen display. I have had no issues with the in screen fingerprint sensor. And battery life has been really good so far. Like I mentioned previously... I don't like the rounded edges and the silly way Style Shells look. That's my only dislike. But as I mentioned I see this as my "transition" phone, transitioning back to Gorilla Glass and phones in a case. So a new phone for $299.....I like it a lot.

Gudasau

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Z-Force
I like it a lot. Nice screen, I really like the full screen display. I have had no issues with the in screen fingerprint sensor. And battery life has been really good so far. Like I mentioned previously... I don't like the rounded edges and the silly way Style Shells look. That's my only dislike. But as I mentioned I see this as my "transition" phone, transitioning back to Gorilla Glass and phones in a case. So a new phone for $299.....I like it a lot.

I'm going to miss the "talk to me" ( or whatever it's called) and the unbreakable force. I guess I'll need to get back into the paranoid groove of being extremely careful, but the hands free ability while driving is going to be rough.

OP
Sajo

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I'm going to miss the "talk to me" ( or whatever it's called) and the unbreakable force. I guess I'll need to get back into the paranoid groove of being extremely careful, but the hands free ability while driving is going to be rough.

True, it is a bummer. I forgot about that. So two dislikes. But Talk To Me is totally software so there is always a chance it could be re-added. Slim chance....very slim....but.....

Gudasau

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Z-Force
True, it is a bummer. I forgot about that. So two dislikes. But Talk To Me is totally software so there is always a chance it could be re-added. Slim chance....very slim....but.....

I'm doing my research and trying to figure out which direction to go. The price is right, but..... I dunno. My phone is about ready to tap out with a very full internal storage, so I've got to do something within the next few months. I want to be excited and I'm not. Find something really cool to brag about,Sajo, so I'll jump in

OP
Sajo

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I'm doing my research and trying to figure out which direction to go. The price is right, but..... I dunno. My phone is about ready to tap out with a very full internal storage, so I've got to do something within the next few months. I want to be excited and I'm not. Find something really cool to brag about,Sajo, so I'll jump in

128GB of internal storage for less than $400. How's that????

OP
Sajo

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Not much cool & unique. It's kind of like a Z3 with the fingerprint sensor moved from the side to in the screen. It's a Moto Z....so you can still use Moto Mods. If you have no desire to continue using Moto Mods, the Pixel 3a / 3aXL are around the same price and offer all the pure Android Pixel stuff.

Gudasau

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Z-Force
I didn't keep up with the evolution of the Zs, so really not sure what's truly new to me. I guess I need to go read the introduction to each generation and see what I think.
My youngest defected from his Moto family and bought a Samsung. I love the display as he is super happy with it. Hadn't even considered the Pixel. I know absolutely nothing about those.
I've got some reading to do.....