Moto Z4 General Discussions

tomthbomb

Reaction score
And here is an edit from my earlier notes. The Z4 Launcher does have an App Icon Shape option (Circle, Square, Squircles, etc.). The Verizon version comes set with that silly App Flash as the default home screen Swipe Left option. I disabled app flash and set it to Google. Once I rebooted my phone and checked the Launcher options again, there was the App Icon Shape option. So if you buy the Verizon version and change the Home screen swipe left from App Flash to Google you might have to reboot to see all Launcher options.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

A short tutorial on these two options would be much appreciated!

OP
Sajo

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Which options, App Flash vs Google Now / Assistant?

tomthbomb

Reaction score
Which options, App Flash vs Google Now / Assistant?

Yes, that and how to get rid of the round app icons. I want my squares back. It's even on my contacts favorites screen. o_O

Only thing round I really like are round headlights on Jeeps, emoticons and tennis balls.

Last edited:
OP
Sajo

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Yes, that and how to get rid of the round app icons. I want my squares back. It's even on my contacts favorites screen. o_O

Only thing round I really like are round headlights on Jeeps.
I hear ya on the headlights. Square years were not my favorite. Give me a little bit and I'll post back

OP
Sajo

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
So here goes...to the best of my knowledge non Verizon Moto phones only have Google Feed as a Swipe Access option (when swiping right to left on the home screen). Verizon versions have Google and App Flash. Verizon says that App Flash is kind of like their virtual assistant, similar to Siri. Google Assistant, Alexa, etc. Some tech experts say this about app flash..."that software allows Verizon and its partners to track the apps you have downloaded and then sell ads to you...based what those apps say about you, like which bank you use and whether you've downloaded a specific app. Verizon is touting App Flash as a customer benefit." I personally do not like Verizon's App Flash so I disable it instantly; I don't find it useful at all. But maybe others do, we all have to use our phones as we see fit. The Google Feed option gives you a quick access to Google Assistant & News Feed when swiping right to left on the home screen. I like Assistant, it shows me news feeds relevant to my browsing history, I can track packages that have "shipped" e-mails in my G-Mail, and all the other things that Google Assistant can do. To change what happens when swiping left on your home screen > long press an empty area of your home screen > on the options popup select Home Settings (this is your Launcher settings ) > select Swipe Access > select your personal preference (which also includes a Nothing option). Then if you want to disable App Flash go into the app drawer & select Settings > Apps & Notifications > See all apps (will be a number beside the option, see all 95, etc.) > three dot menu > Show System (this now shows system apps) > scroll and tap App Flash > tap Disable and OK (or whatever to the nonsense warning about disabling system apps) > back all the way out. It's disabled and you'll never see it again. I have had App Flash disabled on every phone since it first came out years ago and it causes no issues to be disabled.

To change app icon shape > long press an empty area of your home screen > on the options popup select Home Settings (this is your Launcher settings ) > select Change Icon Shape > Pick the one you like (Square, Squircle, Teardrop, etc.) > return / back to your home screen. LIke I mentioned, it could have just been a bug on my phone but I didn't have the Change Icon Shape option until I disabled App Flash and set my swipe option to Google Feed and rebooted. Maybe it was just a glitch on my phone, or App Flash was somehow preventing that option?

Screenshot_20190622-163939.png

tomthbomb

Reaction score
Thanks for this. Here is where I am. I disabled App Flash. Now when I swipe left to right I get Google Assistant & News Feed. I then restarted my Z4. No Change Icon Shape was available on Home Settings. Is reboot a different function than restart?
Thanks for all the good info.

OP
Sajo

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Nope, reboot & restart = same thing. Did you disable app flash in the phone Settings also? I hate when Verizon adds this nonsense app and it interferes with basic phone functionality

tomthbomb

Reaction score
Nope, reboot & restart = same thing. Did you disable app flash in the phone Settings also? I hate when Verizon adds this nonsense app and it interferes with basic phone functionality

Yes, I did just like in your instructions. It's gone. I have my Google Feed (I think) just like my Z Force had with the Google bar with the microphone and say "OK Google". Is that right?

OP
Sajo

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Maybe it's one of those other home options, like add app icon? Something I did in the home app (Launcher) settings brought the app icon shape option.

tomthbomb

Reaction score
Maybe it's one of those other home options, like add app icon? Something I did in the home app (Launcher) settings brought the app icon shape option.

I have:

App suggestions (off)
Notification dots (on)
Add icon to Home screen (on)
Swipe Access (Show Google feed to the left of the home screen)
Home screen layout ( 5X5)

OP
Sajo

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
The only thing different than me is I have Add Icon To Home Screen = Off

tomthbomb

Reaction score
The only thing different than me is I have Add Icon To Home Screen = Off

I clicked the Add Icon To Home Screen = Off hoping that would do it. No luck.

OP
Sajo

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I'm stumped, and not sure. The only other thing I can think of that I did when setting up my phone is turned on Developer Options. I always do that so I can generate bug reports for Moto if needed. I don't see why Developer Options would make any difference but it's the only other thing I can think of that I did around the same time as editing the Home app settings

OP
Sajo

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I just did a Google search and apparently with Android 9 Pie and above you have to enable Developer Options first then Android will display the Change Icon Shape option in your Launcher. What the hell Google? That makes no sense.

So just enable Developer Options and reboot & you should see the change icon shape option in the Home settings. Just don't open Developer Options and change anything if you are unfamiliar with those options & things, and the way they can change your phone.

Last edited:

tomthbomb

Reaction score
I just did a Google search and apparently with Android 9 Pie and above you have to enable Developer Options first then Android will display the Change Icon Shape option in your Launcher. What the hell Google? That makes no sense.

So just enable Developer Options and reboot & you should see the change icon shape option in the Home settings. Just don't open Developer Options and change anything if you are unfamiliar with those options & things, and the way they can change your phone.

Thanks for being so patient with a Moto challenged user. How do I enable Developer Options?

My 1995 Motorola bag phone didn't have any of these issues, sheese. o_O