Moto Z4 General Discussions

OP
Sajo

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I have seen and watched a lot of reviews on this phone and think most gave it negative reviews unfairly. But I do agree with one comment in many of the unbiased reviews. Do you have / own Moto Mods now and plan on continuing to use them? If the answer is Yes, this is not a bad phone to buy. The prices is good and it's a really nice phone. If the answer is No, then there are other options available that would probably suit your needs better. Either at the same price point or one of the more expensive phones.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

tomthbomb

Reaction score
OK, here's a new one that has me scratching my head. When I "click on" Play Store I get: "Google Play Store keeps stopping". Below that it's App info and Close app.

I have to have play store! I've rebooted the Z4 four times to no avail. What's up?

tomthbomb

Reaction score
Sorry to hear that. Here's a decent article with steps and pictures.

How to Fix the "Google Play Store Has Stopped" Error

I would start with the first step....clear cache and clear data for the Play Store and then restart.

OK, that worked the first time Play Store bugged out. It happened again and now Play Store is not listed on my app list when I do: settings, apps, Play Store. It's just not there.

Ideas?

OP
Sajo

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Sorry to hear that tom. I know no one likes this advice / this recommendation, so I hate to even type it. If it was my phone, I would backup all my personal data, pics, music, files, etc. somewhere safe (an SD Card, a computer, cloud storage, a hard drive, etc.) and factory reset the phone and start over fresh & clean. When you setup the phone, did you chose the setup as new option, or copy from old device option? It sounds like your Google account / Google files or something was corrupted during the phone setup. Maybe someone else will have some different advice, but that's what I would do. In all the time spent trying to figure out what is wrong, fiddling with Settings, restarting, etc., etc., etc. you could probably have the phone completely reset and setup as new & clean in much less time.

Gudasau

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Z-Force
So the oldest just picked up his Z4 on Monday. Message+ and Snapchat keep crashing to no avail. Cache cleaned, rebooted and even did a FDR. Phone keeps losing the SD card (reads it every once and awhile then states it's not installed), and various calls go straight to voicemail without him having the phone set up to do so. He's going back to Verizon after work. This sounds like a total mess.
He's switched phones many times over the years and has been with Moto forever, so it's not like he doesn't know what he's doing. I AM open to the possibility that he did something wrong, but.....
Needless to say, we're disappointed with our first introduction.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

OP
Sajo

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Sorry to hear that. Out if curiosity, did he setup as New or use the copy data / copy account option? Good luck with whatever he chooses next.

Gudasau

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Z-Force
Not sure, but I do know the Message+ came already installed. I had suggested uninstalling and reinstalling, but he said it wasn't an option. Whatever is going on, it's multiple issues that are frustrating him, understandably. I'll be curious to see what the tech guy at Verizon has to say tonight.
He did say that if these bugs get worked out, he thinks he'll be very happy with the phone. I almost ordered one Monday. I'll wait and see what tonight brings with his.

OP
Sajo

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Like all new Moto phones (and many others too) a Verizon branded phone comes with Google Messages (the blue and white app icon) and the Verizon Messages + app (the red and white app icon). You can pick whichever one you want to be your default text app. You don't have to use Messages+. Just slide the icon off the screen and add the icon for Google Messages, and then select it as the default. Or vice versa.

Gudasau

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Z-Force
Very true, but that's the text app he prefers. If it were only that app that continually crashes, I'd encourage him to use a different one, but multiple apps that offer chat are crashing -- along with the phone continually losing sight of the SD card AND calls not coming through. The phone must have been built on a Friday

OP
Sajo

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Or a Monday. Hopefully Verizon can help. Hopefully they give him a replacement. Mine has been, and still is, buttery smooth.

Gudasau

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Z-Force
Okay, I did it. I ordered my Z4. My ZForce totally crashed with a bright yellow triangle and exclamation point on the screen last night. That was my final straw. I did get it back up and running, but I'm done (waving white flag).
I'll be picking it up tonight, but won't have too much time to play with it until next week -- unless tomorrow is a very sloooow day at work.
Fingers crossed I get a good one. (Son didn't make it to Verizon last night, so we'll see what happens with his funky problems tonight when he goes.)

OP
Sajo

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Good luck with the new phone!