New Moto Z for 2019? (and other new Moto Phone rumors)

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
Agree with Xeene: 11 is too many.
Even 7 would be an improvement. 2 budget, 3 mid range, 2 flagship.
And that's still pushing it.

Tapatalk'ing on my 1+ 6t

OP
Sajo

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I do agree that their marketing plan may include too many phones within the same model line, which could be confusing for some shoppers. But at the same time, they are not all available within the same market regions. So maybe it all makes sense in the countries where most of the G and E lines are sold? A simpler approach would make a little more sense to us, but maybe it all makes sense where many of these are sold?

Now...back to the rumors, speculation and RUMINT.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

OP
Sajo

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Here is some interesting news & new rumor. Apparently Motorola has filed some new patents for possible "disconnected" type of mods. The new rumors suggest that these new mods would connect to the phone for initial setup & pairing but then could be used in a disconnected status afterward, staying connected to the phone via WiFi or Bluetooth when needed. That could explain why we have not seen any new Moto Mods with, or since, the Z3 was announced last year. Perhaps they are moving in a new direction, and looking at ways to move the Moto Mod idea forward? I guess we will have to wait & see what happens this Summer. If there really is going to be a Z4 it would be nice to see the previous generations of Moto Mods continue to work while physically connected, and then these new mods with this new "disconnected" functionality.

bruben7886

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Not buying new mods....just saying
On the tech side, sounds intriguing

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
I don't get it. How will they connect. Bluetooth? So...you're just making BT accessories. That's not a "mod". And then what?!? they work with any phone?

Tapatalk'ing on my 1+ 6t

OP
Sajo

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Since this is all just rumors based on a patent filing, it's hard to say how these would work exactly. I assume the "initial setup" would have to be done via the Moto Mod physical connection, as was reported with the rumors. Then after the initial physical setup, some Mods could work disconnected from the phone. If any of this even comes to production, it could just be a patent filing for future use?

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
I don't get it. How will they connect. Bluetooth? So...you're just making BT accessories. That's not a "mod". And then what?!? they work with any phone?

Tapatalk'ing on my 1+ 6t
Could be home accessories that sync to wifi via moto mod. Like an appliance without display but has moto mod pins, you connect phone to program/connect said device to network that let's you later control it without having physical interface.

OP
Sajo

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro